“Handy to downtown Sacramento.”

Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza
Ranked #31 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
Florence, Italy
“Handy to downtown Sacramento.”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed here one night while on a quick visit to the wine county, about 60 minutes away. Frank Family for champagne and Auberge for lunch. Rooms with even numbers have a good view. Free shuttle to and from SMF was nice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Arizonapopi,

We want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

I am glad to read that you were pleased with the services we provide. One of the greatest rewards is receiving encouraging feedback such as yours. It was real pleasure to read that you were satisfied with the services that we have to offer.

Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Southern California
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Was here for a conference, stayed in the hotel and attended the conference here too. The over all experience was just average. Hard time sleeping with humming noise from somewhere near the room I had. The food quality at the conference was terrible but the food in the café was average. Nice location to old town and mall. Would not recommend to have a conference at.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear advisorX007,

Thank you for sharing us comments about your stay with us. It is unfortunate that your visit was not 100% satisfactory particularly with the noise levels experienced and quality of food served being a disappointment. We will address these points you have raised accordingly to ensure similar incidents in the future would be avoided.

Kind Regards,

Pam G
Chico, California
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Capitol Plaza on numerous occasions. It is ideally located in downtown Sacramento, and within walking distance to both City Center and Old Town Sacramento. The rooms are well maintained and they have on site a restaurant and bar. We have never been disappointed with any of our stays.

Room Tip: We always ask for a room on the higher floors facing toward the Tower Bridge.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank max1111111
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed here 2nd weekend of December.

Pros: Super easy access to Old Sac. They let us go to our room prior to the check in time.

Cons: Make sure to budget $15-20 parking overnight. More if you have them valet park it for you. Not sure if pool was closed due to the season, but couldn't even access pool area.

Overall, you get what you pay for, and I paid for average, so I was satisfied with my stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jason I
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear Jason I,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had with our pool area. Nevertheless, it was real pleasure to learn that you had a pleasant overall experience with us.

Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the Manager on Duty.

Dhan M
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This is my second stay at this hotel. The first time I stayed here I was thrilled because of the location. It's literally at the border of Old Sacramento and Downtown. In terms of the actual stay last year, it was okay--people were friendly and there were no issues. No one goes above and beyond in terms of service but it was good enough at the time for me to return this year.

This year, my stay was terrible. The room was warm and felt damp when I walked in--the bathroom smelled of mildew. The toilet had issues flushing--I felt bad for wasting so many flushes. I also had issues with my key the first night but after getting a little help, the key worked.

The second day, I walked to the conference location--it's a beautiful walk from this hotel to the Hyatt (especially walking through the mall and along Kay Street). However, when I returned, I had the same issue with my key. This time it did not work at all. I was extremely tired and did not feel like going all the way downstairs (from the 11th floor) to get a key. So, I called the complimentary phone conveniently located near the elevator for help. After waiting what seemed to be about 10 minutes, someone finally came with new keys. I was pretty annoyed as this was the second time I had the issue.

I walked in my room happy to see the beds made but slightly disappointed because no one emptied the ice bucket (there was water from the melted ice in the bucket from the day before). I understand water conservation and perhaps the water could have been used for cleaning, but it should have been emptied at least.

On the third day--same key issue. As soon as I got to my room, the keys did not work. I had to wait for maintenance to come up to give me new keys again. This was unacceptable and I was pretty frustrated. At this point, I contemplated writing this review.

My breaking point was not getting basic information from the front desk. I called the front desk to try to plan my departure and asked 1) what time is check out, and 2)how soon in advance do I need to be at the airport?

The guy at the front desk told me that my check out was at 6 (no am or pm...just 6). Then he asks me to hold so that he could check since I sounded skeptical of his answer. Hotel checkouts are typically 11:00am or noon. Secondly, I asked how soon I needed to be at the airport. The response was "early" (again..no am or pm). I asked for clarification and again he put me on hold. He said he didn't know the information because he's never been to the airport. That's fine but isn't this basic employee knowledge?

To summarize, my stay the second time around was extremely frustrating. The hotel could stand to use better customer service, help with maintenance issues such as making sure all keys open the corresponding doors, flushing issues with the toilet, and finally eliminating mildew bathroom odors.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TRuth2013
Lizjqh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Mr. TRuth2013, I appreciate the time you took to review the hotel. It is regretful that your stay was not more enjoyable and I apologize. I will use your comments to work with the team to improve our delivery of services especial the issue with the key. It would benefit me to speak to you directly so I could narrow down the room that had so many issues. I would also encourage any of our guest to please ask for the Manager on Duty. They are empowered to make a decisions that ensures the guests leave the property happy. If you would contact me off line I would welcome the opportunity to apologize to you in person. I hope you will give me that opportunity.

Travellers are raving about these Sacramento hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We had our wedding reception at the Holiday Inn Capitol Plaza "John Q Ballroom" (16th floor). Beautiful room with great view of downtown Sacramento. All the staff was very helpful and the day of the wedding everything turned out great. Catering was provided by the hotel and the food was great. Ramon was our event coordinator and he did more than enough to make everything run smoothly. I would highly recommend this venue for a wedding or any type of event, you will not be disappointed. Perfect location!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Janel R
Coarsegold, California
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This was just an overnight trip. The hotel is very convenient to downtown and vapital attractions. The room was very nice and clean. The staff was fantastic. Could not have been more helpful or friendly. The rate was a real value. I would return here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business