“Centrally Located, Friendly Staff”

Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza
Ranked #29 of 80 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
Paradise, California
“Centrally Located, Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

The first time my wife and I stayed here, we were headed to Mexico for our honeymoon 8 years ago. For this trip, we returned with three little girls dressed like Disney Princesses and arrived at 9:30pm. Both of our experiences were great. Each time, we were greeted by a very friendly staff member and were immediately checked in with no hassles whatsoever.

On our first stay 8 years ago, we only stayed a few hours, as we had a plane to catch early in the morning (6am). The hotel staff ordered a cab to pick us up in front of the lobby at 3am and even raided the kitchen for some fruit and muffins as a quick breakfast for us, as we wouldn't have a chance to eat at the restaurant the next morning. They also set up a wake up call for us, which was very helpful. The whole experience could have been a hectic fluster, but it was an overall good experience.

This most recent trip, we arrived late again, after Disney on Ice, and were treated to a very clean room and friendly staff who seemed like they were happy to help. The next morning, we ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Our girls ate their breakfast for free, since we were registered guests at the hotel. Our meals were good, and they let us charge them to the room. For those who need it, there is a Starbucks in the plaza just outside the restaurant. Check out was very simple and our overall experience was great.

The only negatives to the trip were the room we had (10th floor) faced the interstate and I could hear the traffic the whole time. This could be a problem for some restless sleepers, but it wasn't the case for us, so it wasn't a big deal. Also, parking IS expensive ($16 for self and $18 for valet). This could be a deal-breaker for some folks who are looking at just price. I would rather pay a little more for somewhere I knew would be a quality hotel. It just seems like it is a bit of a price gouge, and that sort irks me, which is why I didn't give it a 5.

Room Tip: Try to get a away from the freeway if you don't like noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank havok1314

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oakland, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

I'm not that fussy. I made a reservation well in advance with a large group and checked in early. When I made the reservation, I made the following "special request" which was confirmed in my confirmation:

Special Requests: quiet location away from elevator or ice-vending.

I am writing this review in bed from a noisy room right next to the elevator AND the vending/ice machines. KNOCK KNOCK MANAGEMENT!!!! DON'T INVITE SPECIAL REQUESTS IF YOU GO OUT OF YOUR WAY NOT TO HONOR THEM!!!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Lizjqh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Oakbob, My apologies that your special request were not honored. Your review will be shared with the department to ensure we make the effort to accomodate any special request to the best of our abilities. Again, we apologize.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

This hotel has an AMAZING location!!! staff is friendly as well!
ask for a higher floor for a great view!!! Room was beautiful and clean.
I did get to hear a lot that what happened on the hall or room next door as some people said but it really did not bother me that much.
I only missed not having a safety box in the room.
btw you can take the Yolo bus from the airport straight to the hotel, the bus stop is less than a block away!!! it is like 5 min walk from old sacramento and like 3 min walk from a great shopping mall. plenty of places to eat! GREAT LOCATION FOR REAL
I would stay again!!! loved my stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Bel122
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Location is great near downtown and a short walk to Old Sacramento. Plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby. All the staff members I interacted with were friendly and helpful. We had breakfast in the hotel and the food was excellent. All public areas and my room were clean and modern. Room temperature controls were good. Bed was extremely comfortable. I have no issues recommending this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank KenS9
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

If location was a steak, this hotel would be prime rib. If you walk out the door, you are a few steps away from a mall (with lots of good stores) and also Old Town which is a quaint shopping/sightseeing/restaurant area. It's also not too far from the airport and offers a shuttle service.

The hotel itself is a pretty typical Holiday Inn. Decor is nice but nothing to brag about...except the shower...nice showerhead, guys. There was also a sofa, coffee table, and desk in the room. I had a queen bed (or maybe King) that was pretty comfy. The pillows were smaller than most I've seen in hotels. Sort of like those travel-sized pillows with more fluff.

I'm glad there was no one in the room next to me because the walls were thin. I could hear the housekeepers talking next door. I could also hear the highway noise outside my window even though I was on the 10th floor.

I liked how the ice machine was easy to find...right near the elevator.

Plenty of outlets in the room to plug up all of your electronics.

The lounge/bar downstairs was lively and seemed to be a great place to meet new people. Good service and drinks were well made. There was also a restaurant but I didn't eat there so can't comment on the food.

Overall, this hotel was a nice spot. The location makes up for any shortcomings.

Try it out. But be sure and get out to see the sights. It'll make your stay more worthwhile. And don't forget your camera!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Gina B
Florence, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed here one night while on a quick visit to the wine county, about 60 minutes away. Frank Family for champagne and Auberge for lunch. Rooms with even numbers have a good view. Free shuttle to and from SMF was nice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Arizonapopi,

We want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

I am glad to read that you were pleased with the services we provide. One of the greatest rewards is receiving encouraging feedback such as yours. It was real pleasure to read that you were satisfied with the services that we have to offer.

Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Southern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Was here for a conference, stayed in the hotel and attended the conference here too. The over all experience was just average. Hard time sleeping with humming noise from somewhere near the room I had. The food quality at the conference was terrible but the food in the café was average. Nice location to old town and mall. Would not recommend to have a conference at.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear advisorX007,

Thank you for sharing us comments about your stay with us. It is unfortunate that your visit was not 100% satisfactory particularly with the noise levels experienced and quality of food served being a disappointment. We will address these points you have raised accordingly to ensure similar incidents in the future would be avoided.

Kind Regards,