“Nice place and good location”

Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza
Ranked #27 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel only because the conference I was attending was at their facility. I was very pleasantly surprised. I have been in some old tired HI's but my room was updated and fresh. They also let me check in when I arrived around 11am although I did hear them telling other people that they would have to wait until 3. Apparently because I was checked into the "executive floor" I got special treatment. Good to know. With the floor I was also supposed to get turn down service with a "treat" but that never happened.

The executive floor came with a small suite I could use in the evening for a glass of wine and a snack and in the morning for a continental breakfast. It was really just a hotel room with the beds replaced with a few tables and chairs, a couch with a big screen tv and a little array of food. In the evening there were chicken wings, cheese, fruit and wine. In the morning there was coffee, cereal, fruit salad and some danishes. When I asked about yogurt there were just 2 of the 4 oz ones- which was fine for me all I wanted was a little something and coffee. But my male traveling partner wanted something a little more substantial- asking (jokingly) where the omelette station was.

I like the fact that I could walk behind the hotel to a little shopping area. There was a Macy's,Forever 21 & a Hallmark Store. There was also a movie theater and several places to eat. It certainly wasn't huge but large enough to kill some time before heading out to dinner.

Also right outside was a little longer walkway under the freeway which lead to Old Sacramento town. This is a few scruffy city blocks with a wild assortment of shops ranging from the fun (a costume store) to the just odd (Peruvian Crafts?). The nice thing is all the shops are independently owned. It was ok to wander around with an ice cream after dinner but there wasn't anything I wanted to buy. It might be what they were going for in atmosphere- but the whole place had a very dusty, rundown feeling.

My only complaint abut the hotel is a minor one- I had to physically "check out" to get a receipt. When I asked why there wasn't one under the door I was told that was just for their club members. I belong, but because my lodging had been prepaid by my client I just hadn't thought to give them my # and wasn't asked about it at checkin.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Went to this hotel for a two day business trip. Walk out the side door and you are steps away from Old Sacramento. There used to be a two story mall but everything is almost abandoned. Macy's and a few small stores are left. I heard a basketball stadium is moving in. The rooms are average size. The rooms don't have refrigerators or microwaves. The room is clean and the bathroom has lots of counter space. Parking costs $16.00 per day and valet is two dollars more. Staff was very kind and helpful.

Room Tip: The California Cobb salad at the hotel restaurant was very good.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DisneyTrip2012
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This facility is two blocks from the Amtrak station which also is an inter-modal station for the local light rail system. They have a restaurant, bar, and a convention center on the premises. A short walk to the North is the city historic district with numerous restaurants/bars and a rail museum. The rooms are as expected for and IHG property, my stay was for two nights.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Douglas M
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I booked this hotel through Priceline, not sure exactly what to expect. The workers were all very pleasant and willing to provide ideas for sightseeing and restaurants. Our room was decorated with new furnishings and an updated bathroom. We heard little noise from surrounding rooms. Beds were very cozy. Location was a quick walk to the downtown shopping area and Old Town Sacramento district. We were flying out the next day, and getting to the airport from the hotel was a breeze. If we're back in the area, I will definately book this hotel again. Thanks for the great stay, Holiday Inn!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cindy A
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Had a reservation lost at another location and Priceline hooked us up with this last minute deal. A short family meeting with our daughter ended up being a wonderful evening spent eating wonderful food at the Brewery next door and then walking to Old Sacramento and enjoying a beautiful evening in October just before Halloween. This is the best location in Sacramento. Next to a mall and a large Macy's, a food court and theatre and of course Old Sacramento which has a life of its own at night. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Nice view from higher floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank AnastasiaYeager
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Clean, nice staff, easy off and on the I-5; on site cafe is nice and one of the best options for lunch as the down town is busy during the work day lunch hour with all the state offices near the Capitol. Let them park your car, for two bucks more it is well worth as self park is a public lot which is very close but if you return late at night it is worth letting them take cRe of you! Which, they do very well! The mall next door (so close!) has a nice Macy's but is in the process of a remodel starting soon which will include the new stadium for the Sacramento Kings. This hotel will be in prime location once that is complete. Will stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 144Y
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This was my fourth time at this hotel and it was like all the other stays--this place is super clean and the staff is friendly and helpful. I came in by train and the hotel is an easy walk from Amtrak. It's also an easy walk to the awesome California Railroad Museum.

It does get a ton of noise from the freeway but still, stay here and you'll have a good time.

I ate breakfast at the hotel and it was fine with a super enthusiastic staff. I'll be back!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo