“Quick and easy - great stay for the night...”

Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza
Ranked #29 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Quick and easy - great stay for the night...”
Reviewed 10 May 2009

Booked this last minute on Hotwire, our stay was very pleasant. Free WiFi, comfy bed, clean bath. Location on Downtown Plaza worked ok for us, a little more driving than we'd prefer, but parking was easy in the structure next door, $13 a night with in and outs (valet available for $15/night). The hotel is right by the freeway, up on the 10th floor noise was not a problem. Staff was helpful and efficient, we'd stay again!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bluestar8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 28 February 2009

I spent 3 nights at the Holiday Inn - Capitol Plaza. They recently updated the room I was in with flat panel LCD TV, new bathroom, and a "signature bed". This made the usual 3 star Holiday Inn experience more like a 4 star hotel.

Parking was extremely limited so I elected to pay the valet rather than deal with self-parking (which wasn't free either). The "free high speed internet" ran at dial up speeds, so anyone who really needs high speed access is forced to pay for the upgraded service they offer.

Excellent downtown location, with easy walking access to Old Sacramento, the Railroad Museum and the bike trail that runs along the American River.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Vancouver
Reviewed 28 February 2009

I've stayed in 4 star hotels that weren't this nice. The front desk staff didn't bat an eye when I asked to be moved to a room farther away from the football team that was staying nearby.

I'd stay here any time I was in Sacramento.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
Sherman Oaks, CA
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Whenever I travel to Sacramento, which is at least a few times per year, I opt for the Capitol Plaza Holiday Inn. Forget the Sheraton, the Hyatt, etc. - this is the place. Ask for a room AWAY from the freeway, and you'll have blissful quiet (okay, maybe a light traffic hum). I have never had a problem here, and the staff has been very accomodating. Try the tortilla soup in the Cypress Grill Restaurant off the lobby - it's unspeakably good. Great location, walking distance to downtown, with a pleasant mall, the Downtown Plaza, right outside your door - movies, Macy's, a Doubleday Bookstore, etc. are all there. Clean, updated, friendly -and a good deal (especially if you can get the gov't rate!)! I've been going there for years and can't remember a single bad experience. Oh yeah - the old clock radios with their absurdly complicated controls have been replaced and are now much easier to set. A nice touch!

• Liked — Being able to ask for a quiet room - and more often than not, getting one!
  • Disliked — They could use make-up/magnifying mirrors in the bathroom - a very minor complaint!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
Reviewed 9 December 2008

The hotel is your typical Holiday Inn. However, the hotel gets five stars for 1) location and 2) its staff. As other reviewers have noted, you have direct access to the tunnel to Old Town and the Westfield Shopping Center (Starbucks, Macy's, etc). 5 Blocks away, you have the CA capitol at your feet, which is nice this time of year because the Christmas Tree. However, don't be walking around downtown at night by yourself. It's pretty desolate.

Now, if you are here the first weekend of December, most likely you are in town to run the CIM (California International Marathon). There are other hotels that are Marathon hotels; however, I recommend the Holiday Inn Capitol Plaza. First, they asked at check-in if I would need a late-check out (for a four hour long-distance runner this is awesome). I really just needed about 45 minutes, but they gave me 2 hours. Nice. My friend who stayed at the headquarter hotel told me her hotel was charging $25/hour for a late check out. Not so nice. The bus shuttle to the start was perfect from this hotel. I got on the bus quickly. My friend at the other hotel had to wait 20 minutes outside in the cold and dark before getting on a bus. Lastly, the staff were overall accommodating and making sure that my stay was a restful one. For the amount I paid for that night, I got away with a great deal.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Spotty places around the hotel
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TrackingMileage
SF Bay Area
Reviewed 5 September 2008

We booked the railway package with the hotel directly and spent Labor Day weekend at Old Sacramento for the Gold Rush Days. The hotel location is convenient, just outside the side entrance is the walkway into Old Sacramento. Turn the other way and you find the entrance to Westfield Shopping Center.

We were given a room on the 15th floor. However, the key card didn't work and we were assigned another room on the same floor. We were able to see a little bit of Old Sacramento from our window. The room had two comfortable double beds and we were offered a choice of pillow types. The rooms look like they were renovated recently.

The staff are very friendly.

We had take out from the Cypress Grille for dinner which was ok. We had breakfast (which was better) in the dining room and unfortunately, the restaurant was understaffed. On Sunday, they offer a breakfast buffet and the regular menu. Had we known they were understaffed, we would have went the buffet route. Nevertheless, the waitstaff tried their best to serve their customers.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2008
Vancouver
Reviewed 3 September 2008

We stayed at the Holiday Inn because my husband was at a conference there.
It was a nice hotel, you expect a reasonable quality from Holiday Inn, but it did lack anything special. I think they should rename it "Business Inn", as there was not much to make it a holiday.... which is odd as they must cater for a lot of wives who are there because their husband is on business!! There really wasn't anywhere nice to sit and while away a moment with a cup of tea and a book... just the reception area or the pool.
The rooms were spacious, brilliantly clean, and the bed was very comfortable. There was some road noise from the highway..
The restaurant looked a bit formal, though there was a nice outdoor seating area. I did not try the restauant... it did not look really very inviting.
I had looked forward to relaxing by the pool, but it is hidden away on the 2nd floor, and is small, rectangular, and freezing cold. There are some loungers and chairs, but usually I was the only person up there. It felt an unloved area. Sunshine would be the only reason to go up there!!
The great thing about this hotel is that it is just a moment's walk away from Old Sacramento and the river in one direction, and Westfield mall, with Macy's and a handy Starbucks, in the other direction.
Old Sacramento is charming, dating back to the gold rush, and has wide boardwalks. There is a great restaurant with either a classy indoor area or a lovely outdoor area overlooking the river, with umbrellas to keep the evening sun off. Just lovely.
If we went again I probably wouldn't bother to rent a car... after driving from the airport, you hardly need to take the car out of the garage. You can walk to the Capitol building, the shops, Old Sac and the river. And you can take the train to San Francisco. But if we went again, I think I'd rather choose a hotel I liked and drive to the conference!!
The hotel has so much going for it, but just did not feel like a holiday.

Stayed August 2008