“What a difference the room location can make!”

Crowne Plaza Sacramento
Ranked #37 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 February 2014

The facility was updated a few years ago and looks very nice throughout.The foyer is welcoming and comfortable for visiting or lounging. Some things, though, can't be changed through a facelift. Like the slow, small elevator that serves the rooms (stairs are a much faster way to go), the thin windows and walls that face the freeway, and the not-very-desireable neighborhood (it is a little better on this side of the freeway than the other side).

Staff: friendly, helpful, very good.

Motel Rooms:

I stayed for 3 nights. My first room was very disappointing. The toilet seat was so loose it was nearly falling off (I fixed it quickly myself) and the sink was very slow to drain. The wall switch plate covers were dirty. These are things that housekeeping could not have overlooked. The room was always cold when I came in (there seemed to be cold air oozing in through the vent in the bathroom). And it was NOISY. I am a light sleeper, so this is a big deal for me but may not be for others. The rooms on most of the building face the freeway. I was on the loudest side of the building and it was like Nascar (tire sounds inluded) day and night. My earplugs and sound machine were not enough to block it out. I was about to give a one or two point rating on the place, especially as my fatigue built. Then, I asked if I could move my room.

My second room was a dream. Nearly silent. The staff is very familiar with the building layout and knows where the "quiet rooms" are: on the east side of the building which is the narrowest part with the fewest rooms. This rooom was in better shape, save the rather disgusting collection in the bathtub drain which was obvisous because the stopper was missing (glad I didn't want to take a soak!). This room was never cold when I entered.

Here's what is really great about all the rooms: super duper comfortable beds from the mattress to the covers (nice heavy covers that hug you if you use them all), good pillows, soft towels.

Conference Rooms:
These were decent. Did the job but could be improved. Here is where: the light switches are only on one side of the (large) room which is awkward for presentations. The partitions don't block enough sound out from the adjoining room (more pronounced if sitting towards the back of the room, of course). Chairs are ok. Refreshments ok - consisted of coffee and water (tea would be nice). Sound system worked fine.

Restaurant:
I did not eat in the restaurant but my colleagues did. They say the food was good but the place was severely understaffed. One night the bar tender was also waiter for the whole place.

There is a Starbucks, IHOP, Panda Express, Boston Market, etc within one block. There are some very good asian restaurants a couple of miles down the road to the south.

Fitness:
Decent workout room but weird access to it. Pool is there but way too cold in the winter. Did not use the spa.

Overall:
My overall experience for business travel/conference was good but I really loved the beds and foyer so am giving it a very good. It works great for a conference but it is not a place I would choose for pleasure travel, as there are so many other better-located choices/neighborhoods.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for "a quiet room"...the staff will know exactly where to...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank hike4diamonds
pchand, Manager at Crowne Plaza Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We're very glad that you saw an improvement since your first "motel room" experience. FYI - there are three elevators for the guest rooms: one at the end of the hall closest to the lobby and two more at the opposite end of the hall nearest the parking area. Thank you for helping us to improve. We will do everything we can to make you as comfortable as possible.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Sacramento

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Check in experience was pretty good. Front desk staff was very friendly. Sounds like the night I was there was sold out. While at the counter I heard the ladies take no less that 3 calls about WiFi issues. I got assigned to a handicap room due to the high number of guests. Being a handicap room there was a large thing in the bath tub to facilitate wheel chair transfers, completely unavoidable, but a little tough to work around. There didn't appear to be a working exhaust fan in the bathroom, so it got a little foggy in there following a shower. Lighting in the bath/shower wasn't great, again nothing that can be easily fixed, looks like they tried to improve it a bit by selecting a shower curtain that allowed more light in. There was a small amount of crusty dried toothpaste looking stuff on the wall also. The bed was comfortable and enough pillows for a party of 8. It was a bit strange to find a full size bed though, with a queen sized headboard. I haven't seen a full sized bed in years. One of the bed side tables was missing a light bulb (there are two in each) and I didn't see a trashcan other than in the bathroom. The funky chair at the desk scared me a bit, I leaned back and thought I was going over backwards. There was a fair amount of highway noise, being on the first floor in the wing nearest the freeway no doubt contributed to this. Overall it was OK and I'd probably stay there again. I do understand this review probably sounds nitpicky, just wanted to share my thoughts though.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the freeway.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
pchand, Manager at Crowne Plaza Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you had to be put in a wheelchair accessible room. We try not to do that, but as you noted, when we are sold out: all rooms need to be used. We appreciate your understanding about the challenges in these rooms. We are sharing your comments with our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer for immediate corrections. Thanks again for allowing us to learn from your experience with us and improve our facilites. We hope you will stay with us again to see what we have done.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed here 4 nights on a business trip. From the time we walked in the staff was very warm and welcoming. They were very helpful through our whole stay. The room was very comfortable. The bed was great. It was so nice and quiet and we slept good. The room had everything we needed. We didn't have a fridge or microwave, but we didn't need one. We ate in the restaurant every day for breakfast and dinner. The breakfast was OK, not great but it was a decent meal. The breakfast buffet was terrible so we ate off the menu every day for about the same price. The dinner's were very good. Also, the bar was a lot of fun. The bartenders especially Robin took such good care of us and we met the nicest people and had more fun in the bar after a long day working. We will always stay at this place when we are in Sacramento on business.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
pchand, Manager at Crowne Plaza Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We're passing on your kind words about our bartender , along with your comments about your breakfasts and dinners, to our Food & Beverage Director. We appreciate you helping us to provide the Crowne Plaza experience that you deserve. We're looking forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

This is a very nice, clean hotel. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and provided for all our needs. The lobby provided a nice place to hang out and relax. Everything about the Room was designed for comfort.

Had it not been for the overpriced and awful (and I mean awful) breakfast buffet, this might have gotten 5 circles. It was so bad, I almost gave the hotel only 3 circles. If you don’t get my meaning here, DO NOT EAT THE BUFFET BREAKFAST.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. We're very glad that you liked MOST of your stay. We're sharing your comments with our Executive Chef and our Food & Beverage Director. Obviously; we need to re-examine our breakfast buffet. Thank you for helping us improve.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stayed here for 5 days for a business trip. Good customer service. Nice hotel. The bed was very comfortable. Downfalls..... No fridge or microwave in the room. There is a Target within walking distance in case you forget anything.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank kinijl
pchand, Manager at Crowne Plaza Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We're very glad that you were happy with our staff and your accommodations. Please note that we do have some mini fridge/microwave units available. Please let the Front Desk agent know that you would like one.
Thanks again for staying with us.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We had a death in the family and needed a hotel for all family that was traveling to get to the funeral. The rate was very good and the customer service to set up the block of rooms was excellent. I stayed 5 nights and the rest of the family stayed one or two nights. My room was on the 6th floor which is the designated quiet floor - it was great as I had to work most days. So I was thrilled with the rate, room and quiet. My other familiy members were not that happy. They also were on the "quiet" 6th floor, but near their room there was a party going on. Apparently they called 5 times to the front desk to no avail so they were upset at the funeral and exhausted after traveling so far with no sleep. Family members on other floors liked their rooms. but also complained about noise level. I think it was my room position that kept me so quiet. I guess if you are looking for quiet, this might not be the place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at the end of hallways (only people on one side) and NOT near the elevator
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Shelley J
pchand, Manager at Crowne Plaza Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Were very sorry for your family's loss. While we are happy that YOUR stay was comfortable and quiet; please express our sincere apologies to the members of your family that were disturbed by the noisy group. There is no excuse for our staff not quieting the group down so that they were no bothering our other guests. We are sharing your comments with our Rooms Director to review with his Front Desk and Security staffs. Thank you for alerting us to the problem.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We recently spent 4 nights here for Navy ship reunion...my husband has some mobility challenges, staff went out of their way to accomodate his needs.....we had nearly all of our meals there including terrific breakfast buffets...the best part of the stay was the personal touch that staff brought to each guest, from the front desk to housekeeping and dining staff . We would definitely stay there again...

Room Tip: Ask to be on the inside of the building to avoid some freeway noise
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
pchand, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us. We were honored to have your reunion at the hotel. We hope you can visit us again someday.