“A Capitol Stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
California
“A Capitol Stay”
Reviewed 15 May 2013

A guest will want for nothing at this terrific property with insanely great service! Valet, Bell Staff, Regency Club host and front desk staff were super attentive, polite and courteous. We had a 10th Floor concierge level suite which was as comfortable as it was huge… and it was big. The suite had a large sitting area with a big TV and a dining/conference table with seating for six. With such accommodations just steps from the capitol, small wonder why nothing gets done in this town legislatively. In fact, I think the Sacramento Kings want to leave just so they can come back to stay at this hotel as visitors.
As nice is the property is, there are some areas that need attention. The phone in our room was dirty! When picking up the handset it was obvious it had not been whipped down… in fact it looked hella ganky! It was a rookie mistake by housekeeping staff but it was the only negative.
Hyatt does have a sense of humor however. The hotel website boasts "Sacramento's only resort-style pool." That must be some Madison Avenue hyperbole. I could see the pool from my window and it looked like a regular back yard pool with a couple of cabanas. Hey Hyatt, the YMCA called… they want their pool back in time for the afternoon senior citizen swim class! On the other hand, we stayed at the Hyatt Grand Cypress last week which had a crazy, over the top pool that looked like something from a Survivor episode and would rival the best pools on the Las Vegas strip.
Seriously though -- dirty phone and over-hyped pool aside -- this Hyatt has 5-star service and it's a really nice looking property. Don't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Because my husband got sick at the last minute, I travelled across country by myself with our ten-month-old baby. It was a stressful trip, but one made so much more doable and enjoyable by the staff at the Hyatt, who were so unbelievably helpful. After numerous plane delays we arrived at 2:30 am. The night bellman/valet brought all our things to the room, and when a crib had not been set up (as we had requested), he brought up a pack n' play, set it up, put on the bedding, etc., and brought in a mini-fridge for us to use. We rented a baby tub and a high chair from a rental company and had a box of diapers sent from Amazon; the hotel staff put everything into the room and set it up without my even asking. The day we checked out, another bellman not only brought all of our things down, but offered to put the items in the car (rather than behind the desk) while we went to brunch.

Everything else -- room service, housekeeping, etc. -- were good and what one would expect from a good-sized chain hotel. The air conditioning in the room was loud (but fine if you like to sleep with white noise). But I am just so grateful for the bell desk and valet for all that they did to make our trip feasible and less challenging: these folks were proactive, kind, and efficient . . . what one would hope for if staying at a small inn or B&B, but such a great surprise for one staying at a big chain hotel.

Room Tip: The room I was in didn't have a tub, so it would have been difficult to bathe a child had I not...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Megahn S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Sacramento, responded to this review, 18 May 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience!! I have shared your comments with our Guest Services team and they were thrilled by your feedback. Hopefully you had a smooth flight home!
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I was at the Hyatt Sacramento for a 3-day conference. Hotel was ok, service uneven (waited quite a bit to order my lunch when I was in a rush). Guestroom spacious, but had a bad smell, candy wrapper on the mantle when I checked in, very noisy (hardly slept the first night). Very upset about having to pay tor internet (all my colleagues got it for free when they signed up for Gold Passport; since I was already a member I received nothing... How does that encourage guest retention? I think Hyatt could learn from Fairmont...). Food in restaurant ok, very ordinary in function rooms. Not too vegetarian-friendly... Amazing experience at the hotel's Starbucks!

Room Tip: I was on a low floor and it was very noisy; my colleagues on higher floors seemed to have less noise
1 Thank TinyDancer028
Megahn S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Sacramento, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience so we can identify areas where we can improve. Thank you for your candid feedback, and I will certainly share your comments with our Starbucks on property!
Indiana
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I spent 4 nights at the Hyatt for work in March. This hotel was very nice. Room was very clean and modern. The staff was friendly, and helped with a couple special requests, including getting taxis, storing bags with the valet, and checking in early when our plans shifted. The fitness center was very nice, but rather hard to find. The air conditioning was very loud when it cycling on/off. I would really like to give this hotel 4.5 stars. I wouldn't give it five, because I wish the Wi-Fi was free. When the room is $200+/night, I believe the Wi-Fi should be included. It is free in the lobby area, but not in the rooms. I appreciated the extras in the bathroom: toothpaste, cotton swabs, etc, just made for a nicer touch. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights/ 4 days for a conference. I was given a room on the concierge level (10th floor), which happens to be where the Elite members stay. The ex-governor of CA - Arnold Schwarzenegger - had a suite on the 12th floor. This is where he used to stay when he was in town.

Pretty nice and clean rooms. The extra pillows were delivered to my room before I even hung up the phone with the front desk. Nice!!!

There is free breakfast on the 10th floor. The breakfast is pretty good. They have a espresso/ latte/ cappuccino/ coffee/ tea machine. Decent pastries, too. I didn't eat in the Dawson's grill but, I had drinks at the Dawson's bar. They have a great outdoor seating area, complete with a fireplace. Pretty sweet during the desert evenings.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I am giving four stars to this review because it means "very good", while three stars means "average". My real review should stand at three and half star, since my found could be defined as good, no more, no less.

The pros:
- Service at reception was fine every time I went, wifi was provided free of charge and all went well at check-in and check-out.
- Rooms were clean, not too noisy, even though I was close to the elevators. Nothing to write home about, but everything you expect from a 5-star property.
- Pool facilities and service was great, we had a great time there, as well as by the lobby bar. Staff was nice overall.
- Restaurant offered a full-breakfats that was very generous and hearty, but pretty much the same throughout the four days I stayed. A bit of variety would have been nice...
- Starbucks within the hotel made it accessible for a great coffee after a morning jog ;-)

The cons:
- Conference rooms were very ordinary, same can be said about food and beverage provided during our event.
- Concierge was useless when I asked about transfers and shuttles options to SFO. I had to basically do all the research myself with my computer, and ended up finding solutions by calling Napa Valley directly (incurring call fees that could have been avoided).
- Service was uneven, sometimes in the restaurant, sometimes at the lobby bar or with concierge. Too bad, because there were some staff that clearly made the effort to exceed client expectations while others barely hit the mark.

1 Thank fredericg189
Megahn S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Sacramento, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
I'm so sorry our Concierge was unable to assist you. I will be sure to have them look in to this information to assure they are able to provide options in the future. Thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to see you again!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I stayed here one night in April 2013 and had a great experience. Checkin service was excellent - they were able to accommodate all of my requests (higher floor, king bed, facing downtown) along with a slightly early checkin. I asked about Wifi fees in the room (around $10 for 24h), and was also told there was free wifi in the lobby. The room was very comfortable and quiet - I had a corner room on the 12th floor. I was not familiar with the brand of toiletries, but they seemed to be of good quality. There are the usual (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap) and also toothpaste, a vanity kit, cotton swabs, shower cap, and facial wipes. My room also had slippers, but no robe which I thought was odd.
The location is great if you're going to something at the Capitol or at the convention center. Both are across the street from the Hyatt, and there's a Starbucks next door. It's about a $35 cab ride from the airport.