“Concierge floor comfortable but maybe overpriced”

Hilton Sacramento Arden West
Ranked #9 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Silicon Valley, CA
“Concierge floor comfortable but maybe overpriced”
Reviewed 19 February 2009

In this economy, is it bad to expect more for your dollar? Hilton doesn't seem to be making too many concessions yet. I paid $149 per night for a Fri-Sat night stay on the concierge floor. The furnishings were modern and nice (slightly > Marriott level), and the bed was very comfortable with lots of pillows. The bathroom counter was roomy, but there was no closeup mirror.

The concierge room provided bottled water (altho they had price tags on them, the front desk said they were no charge on my floor), 2 bathrobes and 4 bath towels. There was a large LCD TV, but it had no HD channels and the screen was in stretched out mode, so it was too annoying to watch. Internet access was wireless and $11 per PC.

Since it was a weekend, continental breakfast was downstairs in the restaurant breakfast buffet, which was a great meal and worth the extra cost. It included oatmeal and all the cold items: cold cuts, pastries, hard boiled eggs, and plenty of fruit, as well as juice and very good coffee. The restaurant service was very attentive.

The fitness center room was well-equipped with a lot of ellipticals but only one bike (recumbent). There is an outdoor pool. There is no good view from the high floors of the hotel (hey, it's Sacramento near the Expo Center and oerlooking the freeway).

I wrote this room may be overpriced, because for a concierge floor, I expect more amenities: at least some soda or a pillow chocolate at night, or a larger room. If the breakfast hadn't been so good for the two of us, I would have downgraded this stay by 25%.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mjtraveler22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
astoria, OR
Reviewed 16 November 2008

I booked a room on the 12th floor (the concierge floor with alleged extra amenities). They began by checking us into a room already occupied by others. Luckily, those guests were not in the room when we opened the door. We were given another room, which had a constantly running toilet, and jacuzzi jets full of black slime. We also had to contend with an all night party with about a dozen college students next door. The coffee maker was a joke, and only had decaf packets.

The continental breakfast featured a bowl of fruit, bagels and bread to toast, cold cereal, and cold cuts!!! Cotto salami is not my idea of a breakfast food. That was the first morning. On the second, the continental buffet line was closed. We were told to order from the regular menu. The food was abysmal: my over easy eggs were actually raw, with clear egg white running onto the plate. The toast was cold, and so old that it was curled up. The hash browns were not cooked. The waiter sent in another order, and the second plate looked exactly like the first!

There's more, but I don't want to be accused of piling it on! Okay, I will: there were dirty dishes and cocktail glasses on the floor near the elevators on the 12th floor when we checked in, and they were still there three days later!

After three days of suffering, we checked into a Holiday Inn Express. Better beds, better tv (big flat screen with deluxe cable), coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave oven, and all sorts of stuff like an oversupply of towels and every possible personal grooming aid (combs, cotton swabs, soaps and shampoos, etc). The breakfast buffet included omelettes, biscuits, hot cinnamon rolls, bacon, fruit, hot and cold cereals, things to toast, three varieties of fruit juice (apple, orange, and papaya/mango), etc. The next morning it was scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, sausage patties, and all the bells and whistles described above. And for less money per night!!!

• Liked — it is a very beautiful hotel
  • Disliked — the apparent lack of attention to maintenance details, including jacuzzi jets that spewed black slime
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 11 November 2008

Although I live near Sacramento, I was not familiar with how nice the Hilton on Arden is until this past week. Front desk and all staff were great. Very nice, spacious room , super comfortable bed, large bathroom and since we were on the 11th floor, no noise from street/freeway. Highly recommend for a business stay in the Sacramento area if you have a car. An easy 10 minutes to downtown and free parking, whereas if you stay downtown add $13-15 for parking/night. Highly recommend if you can secure the quieter side/ upper floor of the building.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
Madera, California
Reviewed 26 August 2008

Can't say enough good things about our stay and the service we received. We were in town on business and had been booked at another hotel that turned out to be a nightmare. Our company called Brie at the Hilton and she accomodated us that same day. She was absolutely great. We were very pleased with the nice new and clean room. Great new t.v. Nice to have a coffee shop,grill and bar all right there. We stayed on the fifth floor and were able to see the fireworks every night from the fair. We will definitely recommend this hotel to our co-workers, reatives and friends. Couldn't have asked for friendlier more caring staff.

• Liked — clean, comfortable, friendly
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed 17 June 2008

I was not impressed with this Hilton. The hotel itself is OK, but a bit dated. The property was being renovated during my stay, and on several mornings I was awoken by construction workers drilling and hammering in adjacent rooms before 7 am. My noise complaints to management were ignored for two consecutive days. Two of the four elevators were out of service each morning of my stay. The free breakfast available to Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members did not include any hot items. The posted hours for the Hilton Honors lounge were 5-10 pm, but every night I was there, all the food items were put away by 8:30. The pool area looked nice, but the fitness center was cramped and the machines were rusted and appeared unsafe.

The hotel is a 10-minute drive from downtown Sacramento, and is near a mall and several chain restaurants; however, none are within walking distance. Other hotels in the area, such as the Doubletree, are much more conveniently located to restaurants and shopping. In addition, the hotel is near a major freeway and rooms are not well-insulated from freeway noise. I do not recommend staying at this hotel if you can avoid it.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 9 May 2008

I stayed at this hotel May 1 and 2 - paid $219 for a room with double bed plus breakfast. This hotel is being renovated. The rooms are already renovated - they are doing lobby floor now. The rooms were ok - it was a typical Hilton room, I suppose. It was clean and spacious. The doors were missed during the renovation - I think this was mentioned on other reviews. The beds were too soft for my liking. The first room we were assigned smelled heavily like smoke the minuted we walked in - even though the hotel is 100% no smoking. The front desk immediately sent a bell hop up to change my room for me.

Like I said, the room in general was ok. I thought $119 would've been a fair price for the room - not $219. Service at this hotel was pretty poor. One of our keys did not work. My husband went to the front desk 3,4 times for them to reprogram it - and it stilled didn't work. The last day - his key strangely started to work and mine did not.

We overheard another guest complaining to the front desk about a charge he didn't recognize on his bill and the front desk tried to look into it but could not figure it out either and just shrugged her shoulders.

Every I called housekeeping on the phone - it rang the gift shop. They said that was common. One afternoon I had the DO NOT DISTURB sign outside the door and housekeeping BANGED on the door, tried opening it, and kept saying HELLO HELLO HELLO. I came to the door to tell them I didn't need cleaning right now and they still didn't realized the DO NOT DISTURB sign was out.

There were alot of these little things. Yes the hotel is convenient to the mall and alot of restaurants - but there are alot o hotels in the area. I wouldn't stay here again. I just booked the Courtyard Cal Expo for my next Sacramento visit - and it is just $80 a night.

• Stayed May 2008
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 14 February 2008

We actually booked at the other Hilton in Sacramento (the Garden Inn), and ended up at the Arden West by mistake - but we were glad we did. They were really great about accommodating us when we arrived late on a Friday night with a reservation for their competition across town! The service throughout our stay was friendly and efficient, the room was very nice (if a bit small), and all in all the quality of the hotel was a nice surprise. I don't expect all that much from large, conference-oriented Hilton-type hotels, but this one seemed to be really well-run and pleasant. Good value for the money, too.

• Liked — Value for money; friendly efficient service
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple