“No frills motel in a good location”

Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town
Ranked #9 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I stayed here while on business in Sacramento. The hotel is in a great location to walk to old town and downtown. The property is a little shady... there were random people walking around the parking lot at night and while there is a security entrance on one side, the other side is wide open for anyone to walk in. The rooms are okay and clean. The bed had a nice IKEA feather quilt on it and the TV got a lot of channels, but the A/C unit didn't work consistantly causing the temperature to alternate between really warm and cold, and the shower made a loud screaching noise whenever it was turned on. The free hot breakfast is the highlight of the hotel. The waffles with fresh strawberries are delicious, although I did have to wait about ten minutes for them to replenish the supply when they ran out. It was okay staying here for a few days, but I will be looking for something nicer for my next stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank travynwa
msacoldtown, Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Thank you for your comments. I will certainly make sure we check both the A/C and shower head.

I'm sorry you had to wait for breakfast as it sometimes gets very busy in the dining area.

Again thak you for taking the time to let us know about your visit.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

We had a very good experience at Vagabond Inn in Old Town. The hotel room was clean and neat and looked goodespecially after a hot day of walking in Old Town. When I needed a hair dryer, the response was quick. I thought the beds were very good also. I got a good night's sleep. The staff was friendly. This was a good motel. I was here with my five year old grandson for two nights and then my daughter drove down from northern CA and had a connecting room and she also thought this was a good choice for a budget motel. It was very close to the railroad museum which was awesome take-in and historical Old Town Sacramento and, for arrival and departure, the I-5 was was right there. I would say that one of the downers would be the cleaning carts, trash in the area of the elevators. I thought that was an unkempt area. I thought it really didn't look good to anyone staying there although those were the only areas where it was messy but the rest of the walkways were clean and neat. The breakfast was very good also with scrambled eggs, sausage or bacon, potatoes and fruit along with waffles, yogurt, breads, muffins and danish. Check in was easy and the clerks were upbeat and very helpful. The price of this hotel was very good and helpful to families and seniors. My daughter and I thought this was a good place to meet for our next get together.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
msacoldtown, Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Thank you so much for your postive comments about our Inn. I will certainly look into the situation
with the carts and rubbish being left around. We always welcome comments from our guests so we can work on making things better. Hope to see you again when you visit Sacramento.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Chose this at the last minute at the airport. A little unsure when I got there so I asked to see a room. The clerk was adorable and immediately gave me a key, which I saw as a good sign. The room was very clean and quiet so I took it. (I realized that she had given me an inside room, which is a MUST. Otherwise you will have all the freeway noise.) The room was small, but they did everything right: microwave, fridge, down comforter, very comfy bed, plug near bed, exercise room, and they are redoing the pool. Also breakfast! Plus it's right next to Old Town. A great value. Wonderful staff. (You can tell because the one negative comment got a long response from the manager on TripAdvisor.) Half the price of the Holiday Inn across the street.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an inside room or it wil be noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
msacoldtown, Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Its great to hear that the staff took good care of you. Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our Inn. I'm glad you enjoyed the room and our breakfast. Maybe next time you can try our pool and spa. Again Thank You.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

I feel it was my own fault for staying here because I should have known better by the number of stars and the price...but I read reviews and people seemed to feel positively about this hotel. So, I feel compelled to write a review to warn everyone to stay away.

If you have to go to Sacramento, which was my situation, at least treat yourself to something better than the Vagabond. It's primary flaw is that there is so much highway noise that it that it felt like sleeping on the shoulder of the I-5. Literally, it feels like semi trucks are in the room with you. I have to say, I complained about the noise and the very nice receptionist moved my room to something in the back with "less" noise. However, she moved me next to a woman I swear was using meth and would randomly start to sing Whitney Houston songs at the top of her lungs while her dog barked all night. So, if you run into bad luck and have the unfortunate fate of staying here, at least bring ear plugs.

The pictures on the website of the Vagabond actually don't look so bad. But don't be deceived. I'd have to be really high to actually swim in that pool in the middle of the concrete jungle and next to the parking lot with the man tailgating solo out of the back of his pick up truck with hand painted signs about his government conspiracy theories. Everything is a little dingy and don't expect operating ice machines.

When my bathtub clogged and blow dryer did not work, the service at the Vagabond responded immediately to help out. But really, no amount of service and smiles could make up for this rather sad hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jojoleal
msacoldtown, Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Dear Traveler,

We are deeply sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced, especially those that we can control within the grounds of our property.Next time you have a issue with a guest and their pet, please do not hesitate to let us know immediately and we will take immediate action, similar to the attention taken to fix your clogged bathtub and get you a working hair dryer.You probably noticed during you stay that we are working on some renovations to our property, this should help the overall apperance and comfort as we add more security, fresh landscaping, and modern features. Many of our guests report that they enjoy our pool and hot tub, and we invite you to enjoy it if you choose to stay with us again, though we understand it may not work for everyone. We are close to the capital and in light of many events that have occured recently in the news, protestors are popping up everywhere. We are doing our best to prevent them from distrubing our guests on the property grounds.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

I had never been to Sacramento before, so I wasn't sure about which Motel to choose. The reason for visiting: The California Railroad Museum. We brought our grandson on the Amtrak. It is an older Hotel, but very well kept up. The price was great, as was the service. The staff wasvery helpful and kind. Even being close to the freeway, we weren't bothered by noise. We were in the perfect location because we didn't have a car for almost a week, so we walked everywhere. The buffet breakfast was excellent, not just continental, but scrambled eggs/ham, sausages, potatoes and make your own waffles. I definitely would recommend the Vagabond Inn to anyone who wants to explore old town Sacramento. We will be visiting again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter, especially 3rd floor
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pamela G
msacoldtown, Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay at Vagabond Old Town. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will come back.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

This is a nice, clean, friendly hotel that perfectly suited my needs. I traveled to Sacramento to visit relatives and museums. This hotel let me have a base to work from and for that it was perfect. It was quiet, clean, very comfortable. The staff was friendly and accommodating. A warm breakfast and a continental breakfast is included. This makes the already reasonable price look even better. All in all it is just the right place to stay if you don't need lots of amenities and you want to visit the state capitol, museums and Old Sacramento.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your review of Vagabond Inn. We are in a good location for visiting musuems as most are within walking distance. I'm glad you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. Hope you come back again.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

The Vagabond Inn Executive Old Town is a budget motel close to the freeway, so don't expect luxurious rooms or a hot-tub. But for the price paid, the Vagabond in Sacramento offers good service. clean rooms and a nice swimming pool. A small breakfast is included in the room rate. If you don't want to splash out on a expensive place and just want a good spot to spend the night, the Vagabond is a very good option.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
msacoldtown, Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

I'm glad we were able to meet your needs while in Sacramento. We apprecicate you taking the time to review our hotel. If you're ever in need of a place to stay please remember us.