“Great Customer Service and Value”

Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town
Ranked #11 of 80 Hotels in Sacramento
Boise, Idaho
“Great Customer Service and Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

I was visiting Sacramento on business and wanted to be close to downtown and Old Town. I chose the hotel on a travel website. The hotel was easy to find and centrally located. When I checked in, the desk person was great. You can tell he took pride in his position as well as the hotel. I had a room on the 2nd floor. The room was nice and the bed was great. I had enough room to store 2 expensive bicycles inside instead of leaving them on the racks. The TV was great and the free wi fi worked well. Even though the hotel is located adjacent to Interstate 5, the room was quiet. The air conditioner worked well and was quiet. It wasn't like some more expensive hotels I have stayed where the air sounded like a washing machine running all night. The room was very clean. The breakfast was good. I walked to Old Town and had dinner with friends. My business meeting was at 9:30 am . The hotel desk manager was happy to give me an extended check out time at 1:00pm. The pool area was going through a remodel, but was still open.
I will stay there again when I am in Sacramento. I have stayed at 5 star hotels. This one although not a 5 star beat several of them out, hands down. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I like the rooms on the north side. Second or third floor is good because you don't have foot tr...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gary N
msacoldtown, Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to let other travelers know about our hotel. We appreciate knowing how our guest felt about there stay. The young man at the desk is Julio. He has been with us for 9 years and really takes good care of our guests. Thank you again and hope we see you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

Free shuttle service, a serious breakfast, reliable wifi, nice rooms, and everything else you might need in a hotel for an outstanding value.

It's still a little rough around the edges but people like Dennis and the outstanding extra amenities make it more than worthwhile.

• Stayed June 2013
msacoldtown, Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Thank you for wonderful comment about your stay and Dennis our Shuttle driver. I'm very glad that you enjoyed our valued amenities and wonderful service. We are still in the process of updating the Hotel and would like you to see the new features the next time you visit.
Issaquah, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

We thought this was an excellent tourist hotel in Sacramento for the following reasons:

Clean and updated, albeit smallish, but very affordable rooms; well-maintained swimming pool and hot tub; very helpful front desk; refer and microwave; a very comfortable bed; free parking; you can walk to most major attractions (Railroad Museum, Delta King, State Capitol, CA History Museum, Crocker Art Museum, Old Town, Chinatown, the riverfront); there's a well equipped workout room; a hot tasty breakfast every morning and delicious freshly baked cookies every afternoon, but if you want a change, try Perko's Grill next door. You will get 20% off your entire bill by showing them your room key. We ate there twice and loved it.

It's an older property that gets a workout because of the above reasons, but the staff is trying very hard to keep this place nice. We recommend it and would gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a room in the back on the south side next to Chinatown; we watched Chinese elders do tai chi...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
msacoldtown, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Thank you for your fantastic comment about our property. We very glad to that you enjoyed our clean rooms, Amenities, property location and our On site restaurant Perko's Grill. The Chinatown center is a great Historical section in Downtown Sacramento and provides a nice area to walk.
Dixon, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

We stayed at the Vagabond Inn for my girlfriends birthday. We wanted to go to a nice dinner in downtown Sacramento and follow up the evening with a baseball game at the river cats. The price and location of the hotel fit our budget perfect, and we were pleasantly surprised to find a very nice hotel with very clean and comfortable room. The rooms had their own fridges, microwaves, and were clean and tidy. The customer service was excellent, from the front desk allowing us to check in early, to the wonderful customer shuttle the hotel offers taking us both to dinner downtown, picking us up, and dropping us off at the river cats stadium. The shuttle service just added to the amazing value, and our driver, who must be mentioned, Dennis, was an all around awesome person, very customer oriented, helpful, great personality, and I wish I had more money to give him an even bigger tip. The hotel is a wonderful value, with great customer service, and the managers at the hotel should know Dennis is the man, and deserves a raise. Because of his service and his attitude, accompanied by his hard work, I will recommend your hotel to anyone and everyone who is thinking of staying in old town.
Thanks guys!!!

Room Tip: I couldn't say, we only stayed in the one room on the third floor, It was very nice, so I would...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for writing a wonderful comment about Dennis, the staff and your stay at our property. I would like to personally thank you for being our valued guest and the opportunity to have provided you and your girlfriend with a convenient and enjoyable stay during the occasion.
Fremont, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

I was on a one night trip to Sacto and mostly just needed a one night crash pad. Its been years, but I knew the Vagabond was right off of downtown, walking distance to Old Sac so figured I’d make it my crash pad. The rates were competitive to other places in downtown, my AAA rate was applicable which made it even better. I was pleased to see it was fairly well maintained, the front desk area nice, an internet room, and a spacious breakfast area for their hot breakfast and coffee.
The property is older, but appears to have been recently upgraded in furnishings and interior décor. The rooms nicely have a good size fridge and a microwave (darn it if this time I forgot my popcorn, oh well, put it back on my packing list!). The bed was comfortable, well made and clean. The bathroom suffers from the usual older property challenges in fixtures and design, but I’m happy as long as it is clean and functional.
Location is great if you are planning on visiting old Sacramento, Train Museum (one of the best in Calif), or have to connect to the Amtrak station (across the street). I didn’t note too much outside noise, but can imagine a light sleeper might just due to its central location. The Downtown Plaza Mall is down the block with plenty of shopping, a brew pub, and food court, also convenient for the traveler on a budget.
So fine for an overnight stay, and probably good for an extended stay if you are there to see the sights.

Room Tip: South side is NOT facing train station, might be better for light sleepers
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
msacoldtown, Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Your review of the Vagabond is appreciated. It lets other travelers learn about our hotel and also surrounding areas. Next time you stay ask at the desk about popcorn. We sometimes keep some on hand at the desk and we're always happy to share.
Thank you and hope to see you again.
Redmond, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I was very nervous about staying here on our drive to Palm Springs but the low price was so attractive we rolled the dice. It wasn't the nicest hotel that I've stayed at but it definitely wasn't the worst. The hotel is quite old reminiscent of the 60's when I used to travel with my family as a kid. The rooms are clean and the staff was very nice. The breakfast was basic but better than some that I've had at hotels and paid much more for. All in all it was a good value for the night.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for the nice review. We appreciate all comments from our guest and try to make sure our guests have a plesant experience while staying at the Vagabond.Hope you come back while visiting or passing thru.
Middletown, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

The Vagabond is a great place to stay. Clean rooms, nice breakfast, and friendly staff. Short walk to Old Sacramento easy access to "J" street and freeways. I have stayed at several of the hotels in the area and the Vagabond is the best deal. Free wifi, free parking, free shuttle.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
msacoldtown, Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Thank you for staying with us and the nice comments. We know our guests have many choices for lodging in Sacramento, so we are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.We are always happy to hear our guests enjoyed the breakfast and other amenities we have to offer. Please come see us again when ever you are in Sacramento.