“Convenient, great, but really noisy”

Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town
Ranked #9 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 15 July 2007

Walking distance to Train Museum, Old Town. Clean, great A/C. Nice pool. Terrific free Continental Breakfast - Belgian waffles! Only stayed one night - good beds - my only complaint was LOTS of freeway and train noise (directly off freeway, across from Amtrak station) , and shouting party-goers late into the night (It was a Saturday night, and we were on the corner room by the stairs facing the Old Town area - interior rooms might be better insulated) Overall a good experience, though. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank kkjimspq

Reviewed 23 March 2007

I was in Sacramento for just one night and the Vagabond Inn was great. It's within easy walking distance of Old Town, Downtown, a Dennys, a movie theater, and a mall of sorts. I had plenty to do (even without a car). The complimentary airport shuttle was very convenient, too, although I had some problems finding where to meet the shuttle -- this was probably due more to my exhaustion than the staff's directions, though. The room was very clean, I enjoyed having a refrigerator in the room (leftovers from dinner stayed fresh), and the front desk staff was extremely nice, even arranging for a taxi for me the following morning. I highly recommend staying at the Vagabond Inn. It's not terribly fancy and it might be a bit loud for some (the freeway is right next door, though, so it wasn't a suprise that there was some noise!), but for the price I paid, it was a superb deal! I would stay there again if I ever go back to Sacramento.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
40  Thank calipie
Reviewed 24 December 2006

Vagabond Inn Executive was very nice, stayed their 2 nights tried to stay a couple of more nights, the office people were not very helpful they wanted to increase the price by more than $25 per night. They would not even discuss it with me. So I went to another nice hotel that I got less expensive and just as nice.

• Stayed: December 2006
8  Thank BigD69
Reviewed 11 November 2006

I normally stay at other places when I have to go to Sacramento. But they were booked so I decided to try the Vagabond again
(I stayed there many years ago). This is an older three story hotel that is very close to Old Sacramento and convenient to shopping and the capital.

The only real negative is this is a noisy hotel. Large single pane windows and location are the reasons. I just ran the fan it didn’t bother me much.

Good things include: Pretty nice free breakfast-Free parking (You pay at the Holiday Inn across the street)-Next door to Denny’s- Free internet computers by office-cookies at check in- USA Today Newspaper-microwave and refer in the room.

The room was pretty much the standard fare, it was fine. I used the exercise room. It’s tiny but has a few decent pieces of equip but has no TV.

Now this is not a fancy romantic place. Nor is it a classy business hotel. But it’s not bad and worked for me. I’ll stay there again if I can’t get in to my first choice. It’s a two star in my view.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
34  Thank Visalia11
Reviewed 9 November 2006

We stayed at 3 hotels during our trip to the States last October. This hotel was the worst. Ok so it's fairly cheap for the location but I'll list what bothered me to warn you:
The bathroom smelt of urine although I couldn't find exact source.
The breakfast was a choice of all carbs or carbs & manky fruit. Yeah the waffles are great but not advisable if you're trying to stay slim, they certainly don't constitute a nutritional breakfast.
The street noise was terrible. The hotel is surrounded by busy roads that never sleep, they say Las Vegas never sleeps but that's nothing compared to here.
The doors have those electronic swipe card locks, which is normally ok but not in our room. The keys failed numerous times so we had to keep going to reception to have the keys "re-set". Then, just when I was in a hurry to get changed when getting back from the shops because I needed to be somewhere, my key totally failed, nobody could help me because the battery in the lock had died! I had to wait half an hour for a technician to come but it was too late.
The mattress had been over-used by heavy people, it was like trying to sleep in a bath-tub.
When I peeled back the bedspread on our first night I encountered a short black curly hair on the blanket underneath. Enough said.
Next time I'll pay that bit extra and stay at the Holiday Inn or the Embassy Suites.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dannikitten
Reviewed 19 September 2006

We stumbled upon this hotel as we were returning back from our trip and found it comfortable and good value. The hotel is right off the highway and is on a busy street but the traffic didn't bother us too much. It is conveniently located close to Old Sacramento which is worth a look.
Nice pool area and patio, plus it has free computers to use with internet access, bonus!
The most surprising part of the stay was the complimentary breakfast! They had waffle makers, which you can make your own, toast, harboiled eggs, fruit, baked goods, cereal, yogurt etc... nice job!
We paid just over $80 for the night and found it to be a great value and good place to stay for the night.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
38  Thank Paul H
Reviewed 17 September 2006

Location of this hotel is excellent for visiting the Old Town and for walking to the downtown area. (Kids also loved the Denny's right next door).
Room was a reasonable size and we easily fitted in the rollaway which was provided immediately upon our request.
Pool area is very pleasant with areas for sitting and sunbathing.
The complimentary cookies were lovely as were the waffles our teenagers made themselves for breakfast.
Would stay there again with one caveat - wouldn't necessarily wish to visit Sacramento again - not much to do.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family