“Stay elsewhere” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 80 Hotels in Sacramento
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
“Stay elsewhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

I just returned from 3 days at this hotel for business and was curious to know if other traveler's impressions of this place mirrored mine.... and they do. This hotel is old, shabby, hard to find (no sign on the front of the hotel), carpeting was filthy and stained, no wireless internet, and despite a giant empty parking lot you still had to pay for parking. I think it's funny that management posts responses on trip advisor regarding all the bad reviews, yet the hotel is STILL bad. I do have to say that the staff was really nice and the warm cookie at check in was a nice touch and the room was good sized, but i would NEVER stay here again.

1 Thank Baskaat
DTSacramento, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this review, 18 April 2011
Dear Baskaat-

Thank-you for taking the time to review the DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento! We are a large hotel spread out over 17 acres of land with multiple buildings. I am sorry the hotel was not up to par as expected. We are working on a new signage package for the entrance of the hotel and we have just completed an install of 37" flat screen with Direct HDTV satellite service to all guestrooms. We use these responses as a tool for improvement. Thank-you again for staying at our hotel and we hope that you can make your way here again!

DT Sacramento Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Hungarian first
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

I booked this hotel thru Expedia and was pleased with the initial price and location. That was about all that was good. My hotel room heater smelled like burnig plastic all night and my whole family work up with sore throats from it. The hotel tried to triple charge me for internet usage - and you actually had to plug your computer into the wall to receive the internet. (no wireless) The plug was to short to reach the bed, so was inconvenient. When I went to check out - I was notified of a $6.00 per night parking charge for their parking lot - Ok - where else was I supposed to park and we received one incoming phone call for 26 seconds which they charged me $6.07 for - I absolutley hate it when Hotels nickle and dime you for fees they do not disclose. When I complained about the smell in the room, the desk manager was less than helpful.. Won't stay again, even if it was a "good price"

1 Thank fido1102
Dear Winejunkies-

Thank-you for your recent stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento! I am sorry that our desk manager did not meet your expectations regarding the issues during your stay. We missed our opportunity to WOW you! I wanted to let you know that we have refunded your credit card on file for your incidental charges and you should see a credit in your account in the next 7-10 business days. We hope that you may choose our hotel again in the future, when you travel back to the Sacramento area.

DT Sacramento Management
Chico, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2011

I stayed two nights at this hotel. The first night was for business, the second night my wife drove down to join me in Sacramento so that we could have a nice dinner at Enotria and go to the Crocker.

I actually liked this hotel. The meals I had in the hotel restaurant were all excellent (if pricy), and the staff was always very friendly. The rooms were nice (though no wifi) and 'clean'. Big HD TV. It was quiet and I slept well.

I thought we'd had a great experience... until we got home and my wife complained of several itchy bites on her back. A quick internet search determined that they were certainly from beg bugs. Wonderful. Now our house is probably infested. We tossed all of our clothes in the washer, but our coats and bags can't be washed. God only knows if we'll be itching for months because of this one night. Thanks Doubletree!

Bottom line: If you have any choice whatsoever, AVOID this hotel unless you want bed bugs. In that case, I can recommend it highly. The prime rib is great.

2 Thank ATDunn
DTSacramento, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
Dear ATDunn- We would like to take this opportunity to thank-you for your response! We take these kinds of issues to heart and we will be researching this room. We do have preventive and maintenance procedures in place, should a pest such as this occur. We hope that, should you visit Sacramento again, that you may try our hotel.

Thank-you again~

DT Management
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2011

I travel quite a bit for work and stay at Hilton brand hotels all the time. This hotel is my least favorite. All the previous Hilton brand hotels I've stayed at usually honor my preferences in my Hilton Honors profile. I like being on a high floor and my room was on the first floor. Granted there are only three floors, but it's a matter of principle.

I called front desk to ask if they had available rooms with flat screen tvs and he informed me that all the rooms still have the old tvs and not all buildings have gotten new tvs. I wouldn't have a problem with the tv if the website didn't show the queen room with a flat screen tv. In my opinion it's false advertising.

In the bathroom, there was an empty soap carton left on the sink and it just didn't feel like the bathroom was cleaned thoroughly. I don't think the carpet was thoroughly vacuumed because when I walked around barefoot when I first got there, I could feel crumbs/debris on the floor.

And the oddest thing, at previous DoubleTree's I've stayed at I usually get a welcome letter in my room thanking me for being a loyal guest and silver member. None of that here, but maybe I was expecting too much.

The front desk associate didn't even acknowledge he had my Hilton Honors number on file, which most do. I don't get the point of this DoubleTree having a Hilton Honors carpet and line when they don't even do anything special for you.

1 Thank cmbg34
Dear cmgb34-

We would like to take this opportunity to thank-you for your response! We are extremely disappointed that you have gone unnoticed as a valued guest. We missed our opportunity to WOW you. Currently, our Front Desk team is going through a retraining of our Hilton Honors program to ensure that each and every member is recognized for their status. We hope that when you visit Sacramento in the future, that you might give our hotel a try again, to see our improvement!

Thank-you again!

DT Management
Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2010

I have stayed at this hotel before and did not have any major problems with service or cleanliness. However, this time was a different story! There was food on the floor when we checked in the room and it was not cleaned up for 3 days ( I had to call the main number for Doubletree Hotels to get any response.) The sheets did not fit the bed (too small), the lighting was poor, and the room was just not clean.
Also, the hotel now charges $6 to park and this is not valet parking!
Hotel checkout receipts that were not ours were slipped under our door and when we requested ours, it took 3 calls to the front desk to finally get the bill delivered. Although the hotel is conveniently located, I would never stay here again and would definitely not recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RNS3
DTSacramento, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this review, 22 February 2011
We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the lack of cleanliness and receipt mix-up during your visit here with us. We have forwarded these issues (lighting, parking, cleanliness and service), to the appropriate manger’s to ensure we learn from our mistakes. We hope that when you choose Sacramento again, that you might try our hotel again, so that we can give you the “10” service as expected. We would like to thank-you again for choosing DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento.
oxnard
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2010

I stayed in the hotel for 5 days. I woke un in the morning with itching bites on my neck and legs. My coworker saw bedbugs on her bed and had to have room change. I was awakened to barking dogs in the next room - IN A HOTEL! Other coworkers were also awakended by barking dogs and were on different wings than I was. Another coworker found a mouse in her room. I called guest services to request non feather pillows when I arrived and after many hours and three phone calls, I finally received the pillows, after the time I would have gone to sleep.
I didn't like to pay for parking and then enter my distant wing at the back of the hotel where there were no lights to direct my way - very unsafe. I was in the Sutter... wing. The manager in the cafe was rude and I chose to leave the restaurant.
Most hotels that I stay in have free wireless internet, hated to pay $10 a day for internet.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank scbythesea
DTSacramento, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this review, 21 February 2011
We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for all of the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay! We have let you down and did not uphold our promised “10” service as expected. We will bring these issues (lighting, barking dog, pests) to the attention of the appropriate manager’s, so that we can learn from our mistakes. We would like to thank-you again for choosing DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento and we hope to see you again some day, so that we can WOW you!
Phoenix,AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel every year for the past ten years or so. I'm originally from the Sacramento area and when this facility opened as the Red Lion, it was one of the best hotels in the Sacramento area.

We have just returned from a two-night stay and I can honestly say that it will probably be the last. The hotel has now implemented valet parking, so the main parking lot is now off limits to guests who happen to be renting a vehicle. You must pay a $6 per day charge to park far away from your room. The parking lot which is not valet has NO handicapped spaces, and there are only two in the valet area. My wife has a placard due to her arthritic knees, but we weren't able to use it at this hotel.

The rooms are old, but are decent sized. We are Hilton Diamond members, and received an upgrade in the Cal Expo wing. When my wife took her bath, the water wouldn't stay in the tub, and the water was tepid at best. After calling the front desk and asking for a stopper, the engineer finally called back in a half hour telling me that he didn't have any stoppers, and wanted to attempt to repair the tub at 10:00 at night. I told him I'd just put a washcloth in the tub and hopefully it would keep the tub from emptying. So we stayed for two days with lukewarm water and a malfunctioning tub.

On the day we checked out, I went to retrieve our rental car and my parking stub that I had been using would not open the gate so I could leave. I got a "time expired" message on the screen at the gate. I pushed the call button several times and got no response. I parked by car and walked to the front desk. The desk attendant issued me another stub and I walked back to the car. When I inserted this stub into the machine it read "no data" on the screen. Again I pressed the call button several times and got no reply. I made a second trip to the front desk and was given a stub that finally worked.

This hotel needs to be more conscious of the inconvenience it is imposing on its guests for the short term benefit of having valet parking. This hotel hosts dances on Thursday and Saturday nights and possibly the valet parking might be beneficial and profitable for them on two or three nights of the week, but I wonder if the manager ever tried to walk back to his room in the rain or at least tried to operate the call box to see if it was operational? I doubt it.

We always looked forward to our stay in this hotel as it is close to two of our kid's homes. We will be staying at other Hilton family hotels in the area, but not this one. I would not recommend it to any of my friends.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cacheville
DTSacramento, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this review, 3 December 2010
We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for all of the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay! We have let you down and did not uphold our promised “10” service as expected. We will bring these issues to the attention of the appropriate manager’s, so that we can learn from our mistakes. We would like to thank-you again for choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento and we hope to see you again some day, so that we can WOW you!