“Good location, not so good conditions”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento
Ranked #15 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed here on a few occasions in the past few months and while I love the location of this hotel, there are a few glaring nuisances that turned me to other hotels.

Plus:

* Service is top notch. People are friendly and very accommodating. I had a few issues with the room during my stays which was taken cared of quickly and followed up on.
* Location - there are plenty of restaurants and a shopping mall within walking distance if you don't have a car. Driving to downtown is about 10-15 minutes.

Negative:

* The hotel charges $8/day for parking when there are plenty of free parking on the street. In addition, the hotel parking area is not even fenced so it provides almost no real protection to your car while you're parked there.
* The conditions of the rooms are very poor, perhaps the worst of all the DoubleTrees I've stayed at in the past:
*The lights at on of the hallway flickered constantly during one of my visit which is especially creepy at night.
*Rooms are very dated and I found different stains on the wall, carpet, and in the bathroom during my separate stays. In one of my room, the door stop was indented into the wall as if someone punched a hole with it. Also, I found random things like a huge piece of duct tape on the tiled bathtub wall on one occasion which was never cleaned up during my entire stay.
*Toilet does not flush very well, the shower head make constant annoying squeaking noise and will spray in all random directions (not a good thing). Also, the bar that held the towels broke and fell when I tried to place a towel on the bar on 1 occasion.

Other Thoughts:

*The gym is a little bigger and have a little more equipments/machines compared to Hilton Garden Inn and Homewood Suite in the area.
*Breakfast buffet is average. There are quite a bit of selection including hash brown, egg, bacon/sausage, smoked salmon, toast/pastries, cereals, yogurt, fruits, but quality is average at best. However, services are great and it's always wonderful to be greeted with a nice smile and warm welcomes to start your morning.
*The rooms have a balcony so you can sit on the outside if you want. I did not consider this as a positive as the hotel is right next to a busy street and overlooking the parking areas so there aren't really any views to enjoy.

While I really like the service and the location of the hotel, I find the fact that being charged $8/day for parking (when free parking are plentiful on the street and at the mall across the street) and the poor conditions of the rooms out-weight the positives. As a business traveler who stays multiple nights during each hotel stay, I find it more important to have a room that's clean and in decent condition to come back to after a day of work.

Room Tip: Park at the street for free instead of the paying the $8 parking charge/day! The 2 hour parking time...
1  Thank Jack L
CosminNicula, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Jack L,

Thank you very much for the detailed survey regarding your stay with us. I have to say that you provided a wealth of information that will help us to go back to our team and revisit some of the things that we can do to improve the guest experience.

Again, than you for your loyalty and we hope that you will visit s again soon.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Came from out of state for a conference and was extremely disappointed. The television stations would go in and out, the few of them that were available. Exercise room was very small, I had to stand in line to use the equipment; 3 other users and I packed the place. Had to pay $.75 for local phone calls. Four shuttle vans were parked outside the hotel, but drivers were only available for airline staff. I was even denied a trip a couple block down the street to the mall. In general, the facility was expensive and provided few services. Spoke with the hotel and corporate offices about my concerns and was told I shouldn't worry about it since I was traveling for business and it wasn't out of my own pocket. Couldn't believe that anyone would say that to a guest. Very, Very, Very disappointed - should have gone to Motel 6, I would have received better treatment.

Room Tip: Go across the street to the Clarion Inn or Motel 6.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear weavjoel,

Thank you very much for the details provided regarding your experience with us. I am very sorry to see that we did not met your expectations. Only with feedback such as yours, we can go back and look at our opportunities to improve and learn. Thank you again for your comments and we are hoping that you will give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Here for conference. Nice, if slightly dated facility, clean, friendly & helpful staff. The layout is kind of funky. It's nice that it is right accross from the Mall/Movie theater and a passel of decent relatively budget friendly restaurants. You can walk to all of them.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
CosminNicula, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Marcella R,

Thank you very much for taking the time to fill out a survey regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad that you had an enjoyable experience during your conference. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Rudy is the best. I return to the Doubletree because he always wecomes me home. My company wants me to stay at the Hilton but I do not like the rooms or the food. I always recommend the Doubletree. The rooms are great. I really like to balcones. I always get the room I ask for. I just wish they would have raisin cookies along with the chocolet chip. This is my greatesst wish.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
CosminNicula, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Linda G,

Thank you very much for the nice survey. I am glad to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you are recommending us to your family and friends. Please know that your survey will be shared with the rest of the team and Rudy will be recognized for the service provided.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here using Diamond Points for three nights on a business trip that I brought family along. We were upgraded to a parlor suite with king size bed, and pull out. The uniqueness about this particular parlor suite is it was designed as a suite, not two regular rooms opened up. The bath was very large with a deep soaking tub, and an excellent shower with plenty of hot water. There was a separate water closet, and large dining room/conference table with seating for six. Very pleased. We did have an issue with cleanliness, which was immediately addressed and included a follow up email from management. The service was extremely friendly, and the restaurant outstanding-their burgers are the bomb. I would recommend this hotel if in the Sac. area-very close to downtown.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
CosminNicula, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear lizzibill,

First of all I want o thank you for your loyalty to the Hilton Family. I am glad to see that overall you had a great experience and found our staff members to be extremely friendly. I am hoping that you will be returning in the near future to enjoy some more of the delicious burgers in our restaurant.

Have a great rest of the week.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

The staff were very courteous, in person and on the phone. There was a dog however continuously barking down the hall and though I reported it to the front desk, it continued to bark for about 2 days. I suggest animals be kept on separate floor if possible and or in a room that is sound proof.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
CosminNicula, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Dear Molokai 1949,

Thank you very much for the five stars survey posted on TripAdvisor. I am glad that overall you had an enjoyable experience despite the "noisy guest" you had down the hall from your room. Please know that your feedback is valuable and will be shared with the rest of the team

Have a great rest of the weekend and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Let's start with the positives first: The staff at this property is extremely friendly and helpful; they go out of their way to make you feel welcome and jump on any request you have. The not so good is the mixture of very dated (70s) decor with some contemporary splashes thrown in. It's like putting granite countertops in your grandmas's kitchen and leaving everything else as it was back in the 1970s. Arriving later in the evening and not wanting to go out for dinner I ate at the hotel restaurant's buffet. Bad move. The food was bland, as was the atmosphere. The exercise room is dark, dimly lit, with poor ventilation - clearly added as an afterthought - and some of the equipment didn't work. This was disappointing after a very pleasant stay at a Doubletree in Monrovia, CA.

Dear MNtravelman,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your thoughts regarding your experience. I am happy to see that you found our staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. Also, please know that your comments regarding the condition of the property are also valuable and will be shared with the rest of the team.

I want to thank you for being a loyal guest to the DoubleTree family and I am hoping that you will still consider us in tour future travels to Sacramento.