“Wish the Convention had been held somewhere else”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento
Ranked #16 of 80 Hotels in Sacramento
Suffield, Connecticut
“Wish the Convention had been held somewhere else”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

Because my husband was attending a convention at this hotel, we stayed there for four nights. Next time we'll stay offsite. The magnetic room keys and parking tickets demagnetize if brought near a credit card or cellphone -- we found this after having to replace each three times. Also, the 448 rooms are in spread out wings and the hotel appears to own only two luggage carts. Expect to do a lot of walking here. They charge $9.95 a day for internet. Even with the convention discount, we paid $45 more per night than we had at a AAA 3 Diamond La Quinta about 15 minutes away.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
DTSacramento, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this review, 3 December 2010
Thank-you for your response and choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento! We know that the hotel is spread out, but hopefully the views made the walk the enjoyable; fountains, creek, ducks and pool. We take into consideration the price of our internet on a daily basis. We do offer a number of packages, which include internet access with the room rate. When reserving our hotel next time, please ask the reservation agent to help you find these packages. We hope that we can beat your expectations, then next time you are in the area for your conference!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Hungarian first
Dallas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

I stayed at this hotel in room 155 for a couple nights and my feet and ankles were attacked by bed bugs. At first I was not sure what it was, but a co-worker who got bed bugs from a different hotel new right away what the red itchy bumps were.
I have to travel often for work, but I am super freaked out about staying in hotels now from this experience.
To top things off, I found one crawling in my computer bag so they are probably in my house. Not only am I angry about having itchy feet/ankles, I have to have my house sprayed and I have to purchase a new computer bag and suit case.

Also, I ordered the roasted chicken the first night and it was so bad I had to go to bed hungry.

Terrible experience - I was a loyal HHonors member, but I dont think I will trust another dble tree ever again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Travelgal30_10
DTSacramento, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this review, 17 September 2010
Thank-you for brining this matter to our attention, however, we have inspected the room in question and have found no evidence of pests. We do have procedures and protocol in place should an incident occur. We would like to reassure all of our guests that we complete room inspections on a daily basis to ensure our hotel is pest free. Thank-you again for choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento!
LA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2010

When we walked through the dood and was greated with a chocolate chip cookie we should of known we were being set up, the photos online of this hotel were very deceiving, it looks nothing like it does online, maybe when it was new or possibly some speciallly treated rooms, I dont know but this place needs some serious attention and staff. In short If you like being treated like crap and hung up on this place is for you, we called the front desk to ask a simple question and was rushed off the phone and hung up on, then the next morning we went to get someextra bowls for our cereal from the cafe and were treated like criminals or gang bangers I dont know, but it was really horrible, speaking of gang bangers they might want to reconcider who they hire.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Scottrdbike
Thank-you for your response and choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento! We are in the process of a Lobby Renovation that will improve our guest experience. We apologize that we did not "WOW" you during your stay at our hotel. We will further investigate this situation and we thank-you for bringing this matter to our attention. We look forward to your next visit, so we can beat your expectations. Thank-you again!
CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

We went on a cheap group rate for which we're much appreciative, and the rooms were fine. But the service!! Oh my heavens. There was ONE poor guy delivering room service during one entire week-end day shift (he was adorable and working hard but he was exhausted). Every time I called housekeeping I got a MESSAGE MACHINE. The maids were super nice but clearly overworked and also exhausted. The waiters at the cafe left the instant they could. The rooms they gave us (extended family) were spread out everywhere and made no sense at all. This place needs a big big lesson in adequate staffing; they are clearly cut way too close to the bone. Too bad, because otherwise we'd be happy to go back again. I would only recommend this to a friend if they were just flying in and out and didn't need anything in the way of customer service.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Thank-you for your response and choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento! We thank-you for bringing this matter to our attention, Our employees do work hard for our guests and try to keep a smile on their faces. We are here for the guests and we have hospitality is in our blood. We look forward to your next visit, so we can beat your expectations. Thank-you again for choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento!
Edison
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

I was in Sacramento only for about 9 hours on a abnormally long layover for multiple reasons beyond my control. I have some old friends in the city that I had called and told I would be in town for a few hours and that we should catch up. I wanted to catch a quick nap since the travel day was much longer than anticipated. I went into a couple hotels to see if they'd offer me a favorable rate seeing that I would only use the room for 3 hours or so. The Double Tree staff was very accomodating and happy to help me out when I explaied to them my situation traveling from New Jersey. They offered me a favorable rate, a wake up call, and transportation back to the airport when the time came. Also, it was several hours before check in time but they got me into a room right away. I wish I could remember the name of the front desk agent that assisted me, but his name escapes me, unfortunately. The room was nice and the facility seemed very clean and orderly. My friends and I did meet up at the hotel as it seemed centrally located for them, and we enjoyed catching up over a cup of pretty good coffee from the coffee cafe/bar just to the left of the front desk as the restraunt was closed. While my visit to Sacramento was brief, this Double Tree's staff really came through and helped me make the most of it. Thank you for helping me out and leaving me with a positive lasting impression of Sacramento.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Thank-you for your response and choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento! We like to hear the positive feedback! We would like to thank-you for letting us know about the front desk staff and we are gald you were able to catch up with old friends.. We look forward to your next stay with us, so we can beat your expectations again! Thank-you again for choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento!
Sidney, Nebraska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

This used to be one of my favorite places to stay in Sacramento. My family is there and I've lived out of state for many years. I came to town for my brother's funeral and was hoping to get a suite for my wife, my 86 year old mother and myself to help ease the pain of the trip. We were there on short notice with no reservation but was told that it was no problem to get a one bedroom suite at a reasonable price and was given the keys. When we got to the room it was a double bed room at full price, I called the desk and was told it was that or nothing. A cold reception at the least. It was 90 degrees outside and 85 inside with no working air conditioning. I walked the 1/4 mile to the desk and asked for an air conditioned room and the guy at the desk acted like it was a bother but he was doing me a favor by moving me. (not even an apology for the inconvenience). It's sad to see a hotel go downhill like this but there is no question that it's lost it's appeal and quality control is non-existent. I could write another few paragraphs about the details of neglect and empty pools and the fire hoses filling the pools with holes in them leaking all over the parking lot but why bother?
If you get a good price it's an acceptable place to stay but I found a much better place with all the amenities you're looking for not far away.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Thank-you for your response and choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento! We are in the process of Lobby Renovation that will improve our guest experience. Let me first apologize for the loss of your family memeber, and second let me apologize for the Front Desk not accommodating your requests. Our pool was closed during your stay, due to an unexpected malfunction. We do apologize for the inconvenience on a warm day in Sacramento. We would like to thank-you again for bringing this matter to our attention. We look forward to your next visit, so we can beat your expectations. Thank-you again for choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento!
Cabo San Lucas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2010

I was able to book at a very good rate, so I can't complain to much. The front desk staff was very nice when we checked in; however, there was no mention that the pool was being repaired and would not be in service. The room was fine, is was clean and spacious. The negatives were that you had to pay $10 a day for internet - no WiFi, and the television channel choice was really limited. If I had paid the published rate, I think that I would have been very disappointed.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
DTSacramento, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this review, 14 June 2010
Thank-you for your response and choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento! We take into consideration the price of our internet on a daily basis; unfortunately we are held to a corporate standard. We do offer a number of packages, which include internet access with the room rate. When reserving our hotel next time, please ask the reservation agent to help you find these packages. Thank-you again for choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento!