“Disappointed”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento
Ranked #16 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 1 March 2011

I travel quite a bit for work and stay at Hilton brand hotels all the time. This hotel is my least favorite. All the previous Hilton brand hotels I've stayed at usually honor my preferences in my Hilton Honors profile. I like being on a high floor and my room was on the first floor. Granted there are only three floors, but it's a matter of principle.

I called front desk to ask if they had available rooms with flat screen tvs and he informed me that all the rooms still have the old tvs and not all buildings have gotten new tvs. I wouldn't have a problem with the tv if the website didn't show the queen room with a flat screen tv. In my opinion it's false advertising.

In the bathroom, there was an empty soap carton left on the sink and it just didn't feel like the bathroom was cleaned thoroughly. I don't think the carpet was thoroughly vacuumed because when I walked around barefoot when I first got there, I could feel crumbs/debris on the floor.

And the oddest thing, at previous DoubleTree's I've stayed at I usually get a welcome letter in my room thanking me for being a loyal guest and silver member. None of that here, but maybe I was expecting too much.

The front desk associate didn't even acknowledge he had my Hilton Honors number on file, which most do. I don't get the point of this DoubleTree having a Hilton Honors carpet and line when they don't even do anything special for you.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank cmbg34
DTSacramento, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2011

Dear cmgb34-

We would like to take this opportunity to thank-you for your response! We are extremely disappointed that you have gone unnoticed as a valued guest. We missed our opportunity to WOW you. Currently, our Front Desk team is going through a retraining of our Hilton Honors program to ensure that each and every member is recognized for their status. We hope that when you visit Sacramento in the future, that you might give our hotel a try again, to see our improvement!

Thank-you again!

DT Management

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento

Reviewed 28 December 2010

I have stayed at this hotel before and did not have any major problems with service or cleanliness. However, this time was a different story! There was food on the floor when we checked in the room and it was not cleaned up for 3 days ( I had to call the main number for Doubletree Hotels to get any response.) The sheets did not fit the bed (too small), the lighting was poor, and the room was just not clean.
Also, the hotel now charges $6 to park and this is not valet parking!
Hotel checkout receipts that were not ours were slipped under our door and when we requested ours, it took 3 calls to the front desk to finally get the bill delivered. Although the hotel is conveniently located, I would never stay here again and would definitely not recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RNS3
DTSacramento, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2011

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the lack of cleanliness and receipt mix-up during your visit here with us. We have forwarded these issues (lighting, parking, cleanliness and service), to the appropriate manger’s to ensure we learn from our mistakes. We hope that when you choose Sacramento again, that you might try our hotel again, so that we can give you the “10” service as expected. We would like to thank-you again for choosing DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento.

Reviewed 14 December 2010

I stayed in the hotel for 5 days. I woke un in the morning with itching bites on my neck and legs. My coworker saw bedbugs on her bed and had to have room change. I was awakened to barking dogs in the next room - IN A HOTEL! Other coworkers were also awakended by barking dogs and were on different wings than I was. Another coworker found a mouse in her room. I called guest services to request non feather pillows when I arrived and after many hours and three phone calls, I finally received the pillows, after the time I would have gone to sleep.
I didn't like to pay for parking and then enter my distant wing at the back of the hotel where there were no lights to direct my way - very unsafe. I was in the Sutter... wing. The manager in the cafe was rude and I chose to leave the restaurant.
Most hotels that I stay in have free wireless internet, hated to pay $10 a day for internet.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank scbythesea
DTSacramento, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2011

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for all of the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay! We have let you down and did not uphold our promised “10” service as expected. We will bring these issues (lighting, barking dog, pests) to the attention of the appropriate manager’s, so that we can learn from our mistakes. We would like to thank-you again for choosing DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento and we hope to see you again some day, so that we can WOW you!

Reviewed 30 November 2010

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel every year for the past ten years or so. I'm originally from the Sacramento area and when this facility opened as the Red Lion, it was one of the best hotels in the Sacramento area.

We have just returned from a two-night stay and I can honestly say that it will probably be the last. The hotel has now implemented valet parking, so the main parking lot is now off limits to guests who happen to be renting a vehicle. You must pay a $6 per day charge to park far away from your room. The parking lot which is not valet has NO handicapped spaces, and there are only two in the valet area. My wife has a placard due to her arthritic knees, but we weren't able to use it at this hotel.

The rooms are old, but are decent sized. We are Hilton Diamond members, and received an upgrade in the Cal Expo wing. When my wife took her bath, the water wouldn't stay in the tub, and the water was tepid at best. After calling the front desk and asking for a stopper, the engineer finally called back in a half hour telling me that he didn't have any stoppers, and wanted to attempt to repair the tub at 10:00 at night. I told him I'd just put a washcloth in the tub and hopefully it would keep the tub from emptying. So we stayed for two days with lukewarm water and a malfunctioning tub.

On the day we checked out, I went to retrieve our rental car and my parking stub that I had been using would not open the gate so I could leave. I got a "time expired" message on the screen at the gate. I pushed the call button several times and got no response. I parked by car and walked to the front desk. The desk attendant issued me another stub and I walked back to the car. When I inserted this stub into the machine it read "no data" on the screen. Again I pressed the call button several times and got no reply. I made a second trip to the front desk and was given a stub that finally worked.

This hotel needs to be more conscious of the inconvenience it is imposing on its guests for the short term benefit of having valet parking. This hotel hosts dances on Thursday and Saturday nights and possibly the valet parking might be beneficial and profitable for them on two or three nights of the week, but I wonder if the manager ever tried to walk back to his room in the rain or at least tried to operate the call box to see if it was operational? I doubt it.

We always looked forward to our stay in this hotel as it is close to two of our kid's homes. We will be staying at other Hilton family hotels in the area, but not this one. I would not recommend it to any of my friends.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cacheville
DTSacramento, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2010

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for all of the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay! We have let you down and did not uphold our promised “10” service as expected. We will bring these issues to the attention of the appropriate manager’s, so that we can learn from our mistakes. We would like to thank-you again for choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento and we hope to see you again some day, so that we can WOW you!

Reviewed 8 October 2010

Because my husband was attending a convention at this hotel, we stayed there for four nights. Next time we'll stay offsite. The magnetic room keys and parking tickets demagnetize if brought near a credit card or cellphone -- we found this after having to replace each three times. Also, the 448 rooms are in spread out wings and the hotel appears to own only two luggage carts. Expect to do a lot of walking here. They charge $9.95 a day for internet. Even with the convention discount, we paid $45 more per night than we had at a AAA 3 Diamond La Quinta about 15 minutes away.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

Thank-you for your response and choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento! We know that the hotel is spread out, but hopefully the views made the walk the enjoyable; fountains, creek, ducks and pool. We take into consideration the price of our internet on a daily basis. We do offer a number of packages, which include internet access with the room rate. When reserving our hotel next time, please ask the reservation agent to help you find these packages. We hope that we can beat your expectations, then next time you are in the area for your conference!

Reviewed 9 September 2010

I stayed at this hotel in room 155 for a couple nights and my feet and ankles were attacked by bed bugs. At first I was not sure what it was, but a co-worker who got bed bugs from a different hotel new right away what the red itchy bumps were.
I have to travel often for work, but I am super freaked out about staying in hotels now from this experience.
To top things off, I found one crawling in my computer bag so they are probably in my house. Not only am I angry about having itchy feet/ankles, I have to have my house sprayed and I have to purchase a new computer bag and suit case.

Also, I ordered the roasted chicken the first night and it was so bad I had to go to bed hungry.

Terrible experience - I was a loyal HHonors member, but I dont think I will trust another dble tree ever again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Travelgal30_10
DTSacramento, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2010

Thank-you for brining this matter to our attention, however, we have inspected the room in question and have found no evidence of pests. We do have procedures and protocol in place should an incident occur. We would like to reassure all of our guests that we complete room inspections on a daily basis to ensure our hotel is pest free. Thank-you again for choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento!

Reviewed 6 September 2010

When we walked through the dood and was greated with a chocolate chip cookie we should of known we were being set up, the photos online of this hotel were very deceiving, it looks nothing like it does online, maybe when it was new or possibly some speciallly treated rooms, I dont know but this place needs some serious attention and staff. In short If you like being treated like crap and hung up on this place is for you, we called the front desk to ask a simple question and was rushed off the phone and hung up on, then the next morning we went to get someextra bowls for our cereal from the cafe and were treated like criminals or gang bangers I dont know, but it was really horrible, speaking of gang bangers they might want to reconcider who they hire.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Scottrdbike

Thank-you for your response and choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento! We are in the process of a Lobby Renovation that will improve our guest experience. We apologize that we did not "WOW" you during your stay at our hotel. We will further investigate this situation and we thank-you for bringing this matter to our attention. We look forward to your next visit, so we can beat your expectations. Thank-you again!