“Horrible Experience, do not stay in this hotel”

Quality Inn Downtown
Ranked #47 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Redding, California, United States
“Horrible Experience, do not stay in this hotel”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I rarely write reviews unless something is great or terrible, and this place was horrible. Luckily we only needed to stay one night to attend an event at the Convention Center and the location was only a block or so away. We paid approx. $85 for a night, which is on the cheaper side, but I've stayed in places for that price and they were nothing like this. When you first drive up, it is visibly run down. The parking spots are extremely tight and most of them were taken up by people not staying in the hotel, which forced us to pay for parking in the garage next door. We checked in around 3pm and were given our room keys, but when we got to our room it was in the process of being cleaned and since we already lugged our bags to the room we had to wait outside until they were done. Our first room had black mold in the bathroom, so we went to let the person at the counter know and she immediately said "so do you want to check out?” The customer service was nonexistent to say the least. She gave us a new room that was cleaner, but not by much. The location of the hotel is also located around the corner from a bar and during our stay we ended up listening to drunks and a couple fighting outside until around 4am in the morning. Needless to say, we got little to no sleep. It was the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel and I would never recommend that anyone stay at this location.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank ckj80

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Overall the room was good for the price. Only 1 thing that irritated me, low water pressure in shower.

• Stayed April 2012
Happy Valley
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I don't normally review a hotel unless it's really great or really bad. Unfortunately, this place falls in the latter. You enter the property via a sketchy downtown alley. My kids were afraid to get out of the car. The place is very rundown and dingy. Some of Sacramento's seediest roam through the parking lot day and night. In fact, one night we watched a guy smoke crack directly below our room. The room was old and dated and in dire need of a massive renovation. Dirty carpet, dirty walls, old furniture. I didn't even want to put our luggage on the floor, yuk! The staff was not friendly or overly helpful. The breakfast was okay, but the staff wouldn't even say "good morning" when we walked in. The location is good if you just want to walk around downtown. The hotel is on a very busy street and the room was noisy day and night with numerous police sirens blaring. I'd avoid this place, especially if you're bringing your family.

Room Tip: I recommend the 3rd floor for security reasons.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank dutchfam5
Westlake Village, California
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Stayed here for three nights in March while attending an event that was held at the Hyatt. Couldn't see spending $400 a night when all I was doing was sleeping in the room so went for the $50 a night deal at the Quality Inn. Easy walk to the Capital, Convention Center and Hyatt. The hotel is not pretty at all and looks worse than it really is. Bed was OK, not plush and I wish I had brought a comforter and pillow of my own. They supplied undersized pillows, really small and not very comfortable. Bathroom looked the worst. Showerhead was really low and water temp was difficult to control. Nice flat screen TV with good selection of channels, free internet that actually worked well and fridge in the room. Free parking was a plus. The room I was in was on the alley side of the building. At 5am each morning a trash truck would pull up under the hotel and empty the big trash bins...very loud! There was lots noise in the alley. I'd suggest a room away from it if you do stay there.
Lots of stains, scratchs and dirty carpet in the room, but nothing so bad that I couldn't deal with it, even as a female traveling alone. Like others have said, you get what you pay for. I'd rather stay somewhere nicer next trip to Sacramento, but if I had a really tight budget I probably would return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank westlakevillagemom
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Granted, this was St. Patrick's Day. But to be awakened by drunken shouting and car doors slamming from 2-3 in the morning doesn't make for a restful night.

I don't normally stay in budget hotels but I was with a school group. The room was clean and the bed was reasonably comfortable. There was a nice flat screen tv and a refrigerator. There were granite countertops in the bathroom but they seemed strangely out of place for the rest of the somewhat tired appointments.

The complimentary breakfast was good; however, the breakfast area was very crowded - not enough seats.

I do feel compelled to mention the unfriendly front desk help. C'mon folks - how much does a simple smile (or even pleasant expression) cost?

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Joan W
Eureka,CA.
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The hotel had a good location but trying remember what was good about this hotel is hard... the room I was in really sucked I some how received a smoking room and at 1:45 in the morning after driving for 5 hours I wanted to change rooms but I was told there was no other single rooms ,so I just sucked it up and stayed there for the night, sure was mad when I got up in the morning all my clothes smelled like cigerette smoke, the mold in the shower was gross and the nastyness of the room was just as gross,I will never be back,you get what you pay for.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank westcoasttraveler707
Valley Springs, California
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Great place to stay on buget. Right next to the melting pot! Close to downtown atractions. The rooms were clean, had everything we needed. There was a frig, but no microwave. On a nosiey busy st, but was fine as long as we kept our fan on.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple