“extended business stay”

Ranked #17 of 80 Hotels in Sacramento
Sacramento, California
“extended business stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

I have been at the Governors Inn for most of a week, and am very impressed. The clean, bright room is well-furnished. The staff is friendly, efficient, and has been responsive in an astonishingly timely manner to a broad of requests at all hours of the day and night. My stay has been during a relatively frenetic time for them, as the conference I was attending stretched their complementary shuttle to the Sacramento Convention Center to the max; the thousands of scientists attending all had different schedules. Throughout all this, the face to the public remained calm, relaxed, and cheerful. I hope the staff is treated well, because they are the heart and soul of this really outstanding and (thank you, thank you) reasonably priced operation. I agree that breakfast is a little light on protein, but yoghurt makes up for the carbs, and the coffee is European-style densely rich! Kudos.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Turkish first
Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

I booked the hotel at the last minute for a week-long conference in Sacramento. I found the hotel to be conveniently located near downtown (though I had a car to travel the about 1.5 miles to the convention center) & clean. My room was quite large and the hotel was a step above the average mid-range hotel in decor, friendliness of staff, and atmosphere. Drawbacks were the neighborhood is a bit sketchy & free breakfast could offer more fresh fruit or low-sugar options. -- There are a lot of homeless in the area near the hotel, but the hotel was at a busy corner so that wasn't a problem. Also, I felt safe enough to go jogging every morning along the river (~2 blocks away) and had no problems. The free breakfast was standard free breakfast fare -- so bagels, pastries, waffle bar, yogurt, cereal - overall not bad, but more low sugar, or fresh fruit options would have been welcome. Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel.

Room Tip: I had a room on the McD's side, and had no problem with noise. I was happy to be on the second...
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for three nights with our toddler and newborn while looking for a home in Sacramento. At check in I asked if it would be possible to pay the difference between the room I reserved and the king suite to upgrade so we would have a little more space but was told that wasn't possible since we booked through a third party instead of directly through the hotel. Kind of a bummer but the staff was nice and the room was comfortable and on par with what you'd expect from a Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn, or similar hotel but for a much better price. The free breakfast was about average with walls, pastries, and a few cereals to choose from. Two things I wish I would have known when I booked was that the doors don't have the normal deadbolts high above the door handle which allowed our toddler easy escape when he got tired of being stuck in a hotel room. The room also had a shower but not a tub which is only an issue if you have kids who want to take a bath. Overall our stay was clean comfortable and I wouldn't hesitate to stay or recommend the hotel to business travelers or couples but I probably wouldn't recommend it to families with young children just because of the issue mentioned above unless they got the king suite. The pool was also very nice and clean as was the hot tub.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I was in town for a conference and booked this hotel through priceline.com. Fantastic customer service from the front desk staff, cleaning staff and shuttle drivers. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Whomever is conducting the customer service training for this hotel should be given 5 stars! The rooms are spacious, clean and good WiFi connection. Sara at the front desk always has a smile and is ready to help you arrange for the Free Shuttle service. Thanks Sara! I took the shuttle twice a day to and from the convention center and didn't wait for more than 15 mins for a driver to arrive. All of the drivers were professional and courteous. I can't say enough what a great stay I had! Keep up the good work Governors Inn!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

The Governor's Inn is located right off of I-5, just north of downtown Sacramento. Our room was very spacious and furnished well. We did have some issues with the shower. The water pressure is very low. There is a complimentary breakfast, which is minimal at best. All in all, for the price it is a good choice for those who need a place to spend the night on the road.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nadorick
mariposa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Governor's Inn is nearly at the intersection of Interstate 5 and Richards Boulevard in Sacramento. It's a privately owned property and next to a police station, so we felt extra secure. My friend and I had called just two days before and got an excellent rate, with our AARP discount: two queen beds, one night, $93 and change including tax. The public areas are spacious and well furnished and well decorated. The desk clerk greeted us warmly. There was a list of restaurants on the counter and he was free with his assessment of ones that caught our eye. Our room was, again, spacious and had plenty of plugs for chargers for all of our electronics. The room had a desk, a comfortable chair next to a small table and a counter with coffee, etc. Everything was clean and there was no odor of "air freshener." For two women with a lot of stuff to spread around, there was lots of space in the bath area. Separate room for shower and toilet. Two nice touches: all the washcloths and toilet paper ends were cleverly folded and there was a wicker hamper in the show room for damp towels. I'll stay there again when I go up to Sacramento.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor, the elevators were right around the corner, and we were almost opp...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank eeg47
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Just spent 2 nights here, but have stayed in so many hotels in Sacramento since my last visit 2-1/2 years ago, I forgot what I said.

Generally, it's the same very nice hotel in a "transitional" neighborhood, so visitors need to know that. There were a few homeless people wandering the area, but they aren't dangerous. They don't come on property. There is a soup kitchen and industrial area and Discovery Park nearby. The hotel is in a very convenient area to Interstate-5. Takes 6 minutes to get into the middle of the City of Sacramento. Richards Blvd. is one exit from J-Street, into town. Easy.

Bottom-line --- I really like this hotel and would stay here anytime. This visit, the young front desk clerk (D.) greeted me in a very friendly and efficient manner. Made me feel like I was coming home. The lobby is very nice and large, with a "living room" feel, with beautiful red pottery décor and high ceilings. Nice first impression. It shows the pride of the people who own it and manage it.

My room was beautiful. Room 211, with a King bed. Very clean and looked newly painted with accent walls in fall colors. The interior hallways looked newly painted also, with the red wall accents, toward the elevator. Can't get lost, looking for the red walls.

My priorities are safe, free parking and free, reliable Wi-Fi and a beautiful, comfortable and clean room. Governor's had all that. The room had a mini-fridge and a 32-in flat-screen TV. Still love those attractive decorator touches, as the last time I stayed here: granite countertops, mirrored closet doors, plantation shutters and, this time, the colorful accent wall colors. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. Everything (lighting, etc.) was very up-to-date.

For people who don't bring their own computer, there is a little business center in the lobby. For people who don't want to drive downtown, there is a shuttle. Convenient. There was no safe in the room.

There were only two things that fell a little short of my expectations --- "continental breakfast" is still minimal (with just bagels, pastries, cereal, waffles and juice/coffee -- and some yogurt) and the stall shower seemed a bit unsafe, with being slippery and no grab bar, as most hotels have these days. Not good for senior citizens.

But everything else was so close to perfect, thus the high rating. I'll bump the 4.5 up. Staff is excellent and it's a very nice attractive hotel, for a reasonable price, close to everything except walkable restaurants. Hope they can do something about the Spartan breakfast and the slippery showers. Otherwise, excellent. for business and convenience and short-term stays.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo