“Beautiful but fell short on service.”

The Westin Sacramento
Ranked #17 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
Scottsdale
“Beautiful but fell short on service.”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This is a beautiful hotel and of course the beds and rooms were great as all Westins usually are. The ac unit is loud as a previous customer stated thank goodness we are heavy sleepers. But.... Don't expect to stay in bed and order breakfast as my husband and I planned. They have a book with what appears to be great breakfast but after being on hold forever I started feeling uneasy then they come back to tell me they are in transition from breakfast to brunch at 0855???? Really??? Then she says well all we have available is cold stuff the hot stuff you can get at 930???? Really??? So I verify and say so I can order an omelette then??? She says well we won't know what we have available. I said goodbye!! Extremely disappointing for a great hotel. Will not come back!!

• Stayed June 2014
Jacqueline H, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I am so glad that you enjoyed our property during your stay with us, it is a stunning place to both stay at and work at I must say! I am sorry about the miscommunication with the Father’s day brunch that you experienced during your stay. The restaurant did have over 600 covers for the Father’s day brunch so their cut off time for breakfast was enforced to set up for brunch. Letters were sent up the night before and the morning of to let guests know about the limited menu that they offered at the restaurant and also room service . The communication as far as I can tell between yourself and the hostess at Scott’s however is an issue I will bring to Scott’s attention. I am terribly sorry for that and would like to apologize on behalf of our hotel and the restaurant staff for your experience. I hope you know that this comment will be taken very seriously and if you do ever come back to stay at our hotel I am sure that you will not run into this issue again. Thank you again for the feedback and for your honesty with this issue, ill be sure to follow up with all parties involved.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I am a loyal SPG customer. I was astonished to find a new to me Westin property just south of Sac on the I-5. This was another brand that converted to a Westin late in 2013. Oh my. I am such a happy camper because I will be in Sacramento a lot this year for biz and I adore this property. The service at this Westin rocks. As an SPG gold member, I was upgraded to an amazing room facing the river. My only complaint to file is that the Canada Geese were awake at 5:00 am and announced their presence on the Sac River. BTW, Scott's rocks. Great seafood and happy hour specials.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Sacramento River.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Jacqueline H, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
We love our loyal SPG customers, we are so glad that you had the opportunity to join us on your travels. Although we cannot control the Canada Geese that woke you up at 5:00am along the river what we can control is the way we make you feel during your stay. I am so glad my team was able to make you feel at home and stress-free while you stayed with us, as this is something we make every effort to accomplish with every guest that walks through our doors. Scott's Seafood is also known as the best seafood in Sacramento so I can see why you enjoyed our restaurant so much.Know that when your with us at The Westin your always in good hands. Thank you so much for this review and we hope to see you again in the near future when you travel to Sacramento.
Germantown, Maryland
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Much better than your average 3 or 4-star chain. The rooms were pretty sumptuous. We got upgraded to a "suite" which had a gas log fireplace (which we turned on in the morning to warm up) and a nice bathroom with a claw-foot bathtub and one of those massive flow rain shower heads in the shower. The outside dining overlooking the Sacramento River was very nice, and the food was quite good also. No complaints about the hotel at all. B-but-- it's literally right next to I-5, and so, although it's in a beautiful location along the river, you can't escape the thunderous sounds of the highway when you are outside. So-- ugh! Anyway, we were in town for a conference, and overall it was a great place to escape to after a day spent sitting in a folding chair.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Jacqueline H, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We love our guest's and reading their reviews not only for learning purposes on items we may need to improve, but it also letting us know what we are accomplishing during your stay. The heavenly showers in the rooms are such a treat along with the claw footed bathtubs that we have, I am so glad you had time to enjoy them! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon.
San Marcos, California
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I selected this hotel from all the nice reviews. I booked my room through booking.com. Maybe that moved me to "lower status". I was given a room in what is called the "Park Side"...translation, the noisy 300 yard away NOISY freeway side.
To top it off, every time the in-room air conditioner cycles on and off it is so loud it wakes you from a dead sleep. Needless to say, we had a sleepless night.
At least at a Hampton Inn & Suites I got a bigger room, quieter room, paid half the price and got a free breakfast.
In addition, I was told at check in that I would not be charged the $9.99 for wireless and when I got home, my credit card was charges. I was told they would email me my receipt which never came.
Disappointed to say the least.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jacqueline H, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your stay, when at The Westin Sacramento we always try to have all of our guests happy with their trip to our hotel. Our Parkside rooms do face towards the front of the hotel as there are only two views from the hotel. Each room does have triple pane glass windows very rarely do we get noise complaints. On the other hand we do have Riverview sided rooms that face towards the stunning river. It has a beautiful view of the Sacramento River and is highly recommended for the light sleepers, although it is an upgrade switching to opposite sides of the hotels might have helped your experience. All Westin’s do charge for internet although we do offer free wifi in the lobby with access to a wireless printer that is 24/7. I am so sorry your stay was not what you expected but I do hope that if you do come back to stay with us we may show you a true Westin experience. I will share this review as well with my General Manager and team as any comments good or bad are very useful in our success in our hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your experience and we hope next stay we can make your experience a better one.
Lakewood
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel and staff surpassed my expectations. This was my first stay at this particular Westin. Upon arrival I was greeted warmly by Valets and Reception. Check in went smooth. I finished a business meeting early, so I had some extra time to chill - asked if their was a pool? Yes! Asked if they sold bathing suits? Yes! Showed me to the Spa. Was expecting to drop some serious cash for the bathing suit... Super cute watermelon colored bikini for about $35. Room was an enhanced SPG room. Very nice and clean. Claw foot tub and separate shower. The robes provided are very soft and comfy (not the typical rough velour). Pool was nice and quiet, with plenty of sun and shade. Retrieved my car from Valet for dinner (although the restaurant on site looks yummy!). Slept great! Room was quiet. In fact, the entire hotel was quiet. Wake up call was on time. Had coffee in the room, before saying goodbye and thanking the Reception staff. I will definitely stay here again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for this review we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at This Westin Property! It is always a pleasure to have a guest enjoy their stay as much as you did. Our hotel always strives for excellence and based on this review it does seem we were able to meet such a request. We hope that when you do visit Sacramento again we get to see you again. Thank you again for such a sweet gesture by taking the time to write this review on our hotel.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Traveling with a dog, especially not a toy or mini variety and still being very particular about cleanliness, etc can be a challenge. After 9 hrs on the road (and more than that ahead for the next day) spending a night's respite at this Westin was a dream. Service was friendly and accommodating. Room met our Westin expectations, the only ding was that the carpet was showing age and actually had a dime-sized wear spot. But all else was marvelous and sooo wonderful to see them welcome our pooch who was equally deserving of a good night's rest with their "heavenly bed" for the dog along with bowls and treats! Our dog is extremely clean and hypoallergenic so very good on the room as a guest. Nice to see that, at least with our room as an example, that there were no doggie smells that sometimes comes with dog-friendly hotels/motels.
When you factor in the often added charge of other places, and the quality you get with a Westin, the premium rate is (almost anyway) with it.
I'm quite a picky guest and only write a review when truly impressed (or ticked off).
Also worth noting are the beautiful grounds with areas to both jog and exercise your canine friends...situated riverside.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Sahrang
Jacqueline H, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
At The Westin Sacramento we love that we are able to make our guests feel at home in every way. Even if that means you are traveling with your family pet, we welcome dogs to our property as we know how hard it is to leave family at home. Our Heavenly beds are one of The Westin Signature items in our rooms, along with the heavenly shower and also white tea scent throughout your room and the entire hotel. Thank you so much for staying with us and also the thoughtful words, we are so glad that you were impressed with your stay and we hope you join us again with your “pup” in the future.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed for two nights each at the beginning and end of a two week Northern California trip. The hotel is located about a five minute drive from downtown Sacramento. Perfect location along the Sacramento River. The service, Hotel grounds, room and food was all great. The only thing I would recommend is that the pool be a little warmer. Even on hot ninety degree days in Sacramento, it was real cold.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the third floor facing the River.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Jacqueline H, Front Office Manager at The Westin Sacramento, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you so much for the sweet words and I am very glad that both times you stayed at our property on your trip we were able to make your stay comforting. We do heat our pool per The Westin standards for all Westin hotels, but I will make note and also let my General Manager know about your recommendation. I am very glad you were able to experience what is feels like to stay at a Westin when you traveled to Sacramento, and liked it so much you came back. Its loyal guests like yourself that we strive to always have when someone books with The Westin Sacramento.