“Pretty Impressed!!!”

Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Dining style: Casual Dining
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I was very impressed with Tamaya last night at dinner. I have been 2 other times and enjoyed it, but this time I felt like the whole experience was above and beyond what it had been before (not that it was ever worse than stellar). Our server was very friendly and attentive. The role we had were amazing and fresh tasting. I prefer more tuna over salmon and more veggies over cream cheese. We enjoyed the Volcano and Dynamite rolls. I typically eat at another local sushi restaurant, but I am pretty sure I will be going back to Tamaya now that I have found a few rolls I think I cannot live without!!

Reviewed 23 January 2013

I had never been to Tamaya before being taken there recently by old friends who work in mid-town. We got there relatively early and were seated promptly but just barely made it before the crowds arrived. The three of us ordered a few rolls with the very helpful and not intrusive advice of our server and nibbled on edamame while we waited. We had also brought a special bottle of wine which he chilled and uncorked for us.

The rolls were, for the most part, superb. I wish I could remember which three we initially ordered because two were sensational (spider roll being one) and one was good but not a repeater. When we offered our server a taste of our wine that was when things really started rolling. He brought us another roll he thought we should try that was wrapped in mango slices that he had had the sushi chef prepare for us. It was out of this world. Then, while we were working our way through that roll like gerbils he brought another out that was as beautiful and flavorful as any I have ever had. Both were non-menu items that the chef threw together for us and our waiter comped. What a night.

I am not sure everyone gets the same kind of treatment we did but irrespective of that, the food was terrific. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Reviewed 12 December 2012 via mobile

Very easy menu and very friendly. However,not on their game. We ordered Miso soup that was never served. The dishwasher can easily be seen from the dining area. There are two sushi bars which was convenient. If you are expecting average food and service, you will enjoy the experience.

Reviewed 2 March 2010

Horrible service, over priced rolls. Not filling at all. Do not go there!!!

Reviewed 16 December 2008

I’ve eaten here once for dinner, once for lunch and once for late lunch/early dinner over the past 2 years. I mainly order the sushi/sashimi plates, sometimes the roll specials, and share in the “cooked” plates. The food is generally good and appears fresh, though I did regret once ordering the thinly sliced beef appetizer w/ cucumber which turned out to be raw and not very flavorful. The customer service has been consistently less than average, however. The entrance greeting is nothing spectacular and every waiter I’ve gotten has been somewhat cold/stale in demeanor. There is no going the extra mile to be friendly, even when answering your food item questions. Basically, they’re there to show you to a table, take your order, bring out plates, and give you the bill. Very rarely do they check if you need water or drink refills or something else. You can hear the waiters and chefs and cooks chatting as they enjoy each other’s company but it seems to stop there, like some inner circle. As someone who believes that quality of food goes hand in hand with quality of service in the restaurant business, I find this very annoying as it really comes across as a business that thinks they’re actually above the food and service that they should be providing to their (returning) customers. Anyhow, if you’re not bothered by this then just go for the food when you’re in the neighborhood; but be aware that there are several surrounding sushi places with equal or better food and at competitive prices.