“can do better”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Sacramento, California
“can do better”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Not my first visit to this restaurant. Have to say very friendly staff. However the fish used in the sushi was not the freshest. Now it was a Monday so perhaps not the best day for fish. It did not smell but had started to lose the fresh texture. When the chef from the back came out for some fish the sushi chef started to give him the filet that was used for my serving and you can guess that the other chef was not going for that. Took another one instead. I enjoyed my meal, but won't go on a Monday, maybe that is why there were only a few customers.
Will go back for sure just not on Monday.

• Visited January 2014

San Francisco, California
“Pretty Impressed!!!”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I was very impressed with Tamaya last night at dinner. I have been 2 other times and enjoyed it, but this time I felt like the whole experience was above and beyond what it had been before (not that it was ever worse than stellar). Our server was very friendly and attentive. The role we had were amazing and fresh tasting. I prefer more tuna over salmon and more veggies over cream cheese. We enjoyed the Volcano and Dynamite rolls. I typically eat at another local sushi restaurant, but I am pretty sure I will be going back to Tamaya now that I have found a few rolls I think I cannot live without!!

• Visited January 2014
Asheville, North Carolina
“Very loud, very busy, very good”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I had never been to Tamaya before being taken there recently by old friends who work in mid-town. We got there relatively early and were seated promptly but just barely made it before the crowds arrived. The three of us ordered a few rolls with the very helpful and not intrusive advice of our server and nibbled on edamame while we waited. We had also brought a special bottle of wine which he chilled and uncorked for us.

The rolls were, for the most part, superb. I wish I could remember which three we initially ordered because two were sensational (spider roll being one) and one was good but not a repeater. When we offered our server a taste of our wine that was when things really started rolling. He brought us another roll he thought we should try that was wrapped in mango slices that he had had the sushi chef prepare for us. It was out of this world. Then, while we were working our way through that roll like gerbils he brought another out that was as beautiful and flavorful as any I have ever had. Both were non-menu items that the chef threw together for us and our waiter comped. What a night.

I am not sure everyone gets the same kind of treatment we did but irrespective of that, the food was terrific. I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Visited December 2012
Naperville, Illinois
“Sushi and Sashimi”
Reviewed 12 December 2012 via mobile

Very easy menu and very friendly. However,not on their game. We ordered Miso soup that was never served. The dishwasher can easily be seen from the dining area. There are two sushi bars which was convenient. If you are expecting average food and service, you will enjoy the experience.

“Horrible service, over priced rolls. Not...”
Reviewed 2 March 2010

Horrible service, over priced rolls. Not filling at all. Do not go there!!!