“Charbay is wine and SO much more!”

Charbay Winery & Distillery
Charbay Distillery Tour and Wine Tasting in Napa Valley
Ranked #70 of 118 things to do in St. Helena
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Looking for somewhere off-the-beaten-path & refreshingly different in Napa Valley? Come visit this iconic Napa Valley boutique winery, hidden away on Spring Mountain, just minutes from downtown St. Helena. What were you doing when you were 7? If it wasn’t winemaking & distilling alongside your dad, that’s ok! Charbay began its American story in 1983 – when Miles & Susan Karakasevic launched their own dream, following in this family's European tradition. Since then, the journey has encompassed both wines & spirits that have caught the attention of wine enthusiasts & spirits lovers across the country - and two generations here in the U.S. Grab a rocks glass - your tour begins with an aperitif & 'Distilling 101' where you'll learn the how this 13-generation winemaking/distilling family makes classic Alambic brandy. From there, you'll get introduced to Charbay's classic small-lot wines, as well as Napa Valley's favorite port - made with our 30-year collection of Alambic brandies. Humidor of handrolled cigars available to enjoy on the winery patio. Pair it with your favorite wine or port & enjoy the Napa Valley countryside. Charbay is one of the only wineries in the U.S. that distills its own brandy to create the ports and aperitifs you'll remember. To make a great port, we believe you should add a great brandy. So we pick from our 30-year library of barrel-aged brandies made personally by our family's 12th & 13th Generation Master Distillers, Miles & Marko Karakasevic.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I love Charbay. Ypu get to it by driving through miles of unspoiled old pine forest until you can see through the trees and realize you're really pretty high up a mountain. There perched on the top is a real California gem. There is wine, very good wine. But there is so much more. Charbay also specializes in a huge line of spirits which cannot be tasted on their premises but which can be bought locally. I'm taking about flavored small batch vodkas such as Meyer lemon, blood orange, and green tea vodkas. They have a new whiskey and so much more! When at the winery you can see an example of one of the alembic stills they use. Try their wines, the tasting includes a delicious Cab, Port, and I loved the Green Tea Aperitif. Say hi to the winery dog when there. This is a completely family run operation with creativity to spare. Worth the visit and worth seeking out the spirits.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

The distillery process is so interesting, we enjoyed trying something different on our wine tasting weekend. Because of state laws we were not able to taste the vodka but I will look for it in the city, they gave us some good cocktail recipes to try. We were able to taste the port & the green tea aperitif, we enjoyed & bought both.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

After visiting the larger vineyards and bigger businesses's, Charbay Winery and Distillery was such a refreshing delight. My husband and I arrived at the Winery 30 minutes before closing and we were not sure if we were too late for a tasting. However, we pulled up to the gate and rang the bell. They were more then happy to accomodate us. John greeted us in the driveway, along with Snifter, the cutest Napa Valley dog! John was very educational and we felt like we were enjoying wine with a friend. This winery had unique tastings and my favorite, the Green Tea Appertif, is my new summer drink of choice. Charbray is a great little gem off the beaten path.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

My wife and I stopped at this winery while in Napa. It is a small place, really just a tasting room, but well laid out and the owners are great. I highly recomend this one. It is a little off the main winery path, but worth the 10 min drive off of 29 to get back there!

Reviewed 6 February 2012

My husband and I were on vacation in Napa with our two very young children and were having a very hard time finding a winery that would allow us to bring our kids. I came across Charbay's website and gave them a call, they said our children were more than welcome! We packed ourselved a delicious picnic, drove up the gorgeous mountain and met with the owners. After a great informational tour, we had our tastings and the kids ran around with the dog and explored the wine room! We bought some wine and sat outside with our cheese and fruit and sipped our wine while the kids played! A great winery and excellent place to go if you have kids but don't want to miss out on a Winery experience!!!

1  Thank rbarone