“Bad Employee at El Bonita”
Review of El Bonita Motel

El Bonita Motel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Elk Grove, California, United States
“Bad Employee at El Bonita”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I just made a reservation by phone 2 days ago for a 1 night stay for business. The charges appeared on my bank statement within 2 days. I realized I gave the incorrect card number. I called back & spoke to a young man. Explained the bank card change. The male employee informs me it may take up two weeks for the my bank to credit the account. I told him that was fine. I then asked "why does it take 2 days to debit an account but then it takes 2 weeks to reverse it?" He replied, "that's how banks work".. I stated that is not true. The employee raised his voice, try to over talk me on the phone, and last said I needed to speak to someone else & hung up on me. I called back & asked to speak to a manager and the same young man answered the phone. He stated there was no manager available & hung up for the 2nd time on me. It's obvious THIS EMPLOYEE has POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS & should not be working for the El Bonita Motel. BEWARE of EMPLOYEES NOT PROPERLY TRAINED!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Rick G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Monterey, California
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This was my first visit to the Napa area. A friend recommended this motel. It was clean and the price was reasonable for the area. The furniture was old as was the carpet. The breakfast was okay, nothing special. It was a little noisy at night as it is right on the main highway.

Room Tip: Get a room off the road.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I have stayed here 4 times over the last 10 years. It's comfortable and familiar. Nothing fancy, but the rooms are big, they offer a continental breakfast (it seemed more meager this time than previous times), and they have a nice pool. Prices are very reasonable for the area.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Eureka, California
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I would repeat what others have stated - ask for a room off the road. I stayed in one of the back rooms and found it to be quiet with a nice backyard view from my deck. The pool was small but fun to use and the hot tub was very nice although both are too close to the road and the traffic noise is loud. Too bad because there's a nicely maintained green area surrounding the pool that is very pretty. I am not a fan of Kuerig coffee and that is the only option for the in-room coffee maker but that is pretty common these days. I don't sleep well when people are walking around above me so I always ask for a top floor room if possible. I thought there were two floors so I asked for the second floor and there was an odd set up with a room above mine but not above the other second floor rooms; one penthouse room on the third floor I guess - so I learned to ask for "top floor" not what looks like the top floor. I expected the front desk clerk to read my mind and know that I am someone who doesn't like upstairs noises. She didn't.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the street.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Park City, Utah
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

Just so so. We had a $300 a night "Suite". Two rooms, one bathroom where the second bedroom guests have to go through the first room to exit or use the bathroom. Right on the main road ( noisy) and railroad track. The room was 82 degrees when we arrived and it took many hours to get to 70 degrees. The breakfast was a waste; no cream for coffee, no butter, orange juice from concentrate.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank eurotrains
Santa Fe
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Stayed here over a short trip to Napa. Last minute choice when another fell through. Everyone said "Oh, El Bonita, how quaint." Apparently I wasn't offered the kool aid when we entered town.

First, price is over the listed range. We paid 199 as a hook up rate and 245 one night. The palace was literally a motel 6. And not even a great one. Subpar amenities, faucet heads loose in the wall. Bedding old and weathered. It was clean. And apparently the showers had been redone recently. Couldn't save the room though. It was not great.

Maybe the valley can command that amount because its the valley. It's a shame though, when establishments get so used to tourists that do come they forget they are a part of the experience and get lazy. That's this place. I mean that price for what it is? Seriously pay an extra 150 a night and go to the five stars. This place needs to step up or lower the price.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Chad B
washington
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I have stayed here twice so far. My son is a student for the Culinary Institute of America in Saint Helena. They offer us a discount because he is a student there which is very helpful. The rooms are great and very clean, having a fridge and keuring in the rooms was also a great. 1st time we got upgraded to a wonderful and very large room with no extra cost. And the 2nd time we stay in a garden room..Both rooms had wine openers and glasses,which came in handy. Plenty of dishes too. Love both experience. The cost was affordable, compare to the other places around. I highly recommend staying there. The staff is also very nice and very helpful helpful. Breakfast was good plenty of coffee and fresh fruit.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Southbridge Napa Valley
Southbridge Napa Valley
#7 of 9 in St. Helena
Best Western Plus Elm House Inn

Been to El Bonita Motel? Share your experiences!