“I had a dream”
Review of El Bonita Motel

El Bonita Motel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Reviewed 20 April 2014

That I was greeted by a by a hefty woman seated behind the counter eating her late lunch. She did not attempt to welcome me but another petite woman with a French accent came out and provided me with the necessary keys and information. The other woman continued to look at me with crumbs stuck on her lips with a certain disdain. Was I expected? welcomed? wanted? or was I interruprting their daily life?
It seems that this dream is reoccuring since the CIA decides to put me up at the same hotel every time that I am part of a symposium. I dremed that the breakfast was not very good [please dont call the crescents croissants, it is an insult to the French] and that the recpetion area is filled with employees that do not like their job. I attempted to get a cup of coffee the next morning but the buffet was late. The rooms have been remodelled with inexpensive pieces, in fact the desk knob came off as soon as I touched it.
The dream continues......

Room Tip: stay away from the highway and skip breakfast even though it is free
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Giorgi L

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

This was my first time at El Bonita and it will be my "go to" lodging from now on when in Napa. It is a quaint older motel with small rooms and a newly remodeled bathroom. Our room was super clean and comfy. We had a Keurig and a refrigerator in the room. The staff at check-in was gracious and helpful. The price was very reasonable. I definitely recommend this motel!

Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank calgal3
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My husband and I stayed in St. Helena this past weekend (2/21-2/23) for a friends Birthday. We were on a budget and did not want to spend a lot on our accomodations. El Bonita was just perfect for us. Not a lot of bells and whistles, would rather spend our $$ on food and wine. If you are looking for a clean spacious room, comfortable bed, nice throwback ambiance, then El Bonita is for you. We were quite busy with our friends so did not spend a lot of time there but El Bonita does have a nice garden area with chairs and tables. Could have a nice relaxing afternoon drinking a glass of wine and listening to the birds. It is not within walking distance to downtown but just a very short drive. It is centrally located to some very nice wineries. The staff was accomodating, asked for late check out and they said no problem. I recommended El Bonita to everyone that asked where we were staying. El Bonita will be our motel whenever we visit the Napa Valley area.

Room Tip: I would choose a room towards the back of the motel, possible roadside noise if your room is in the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ruthie1251
Reviewed 13 February 2014

This was our 4th visit to El Bonita in the last ten years or so. It continues to be a favorite. We got a lot of comfort for our buck. It was too cold for the pool but the spa was a treat. The rooms are a good size with plenty of storage. The beds are very comfortable and the bedding high quality. Internet access is good. There is a microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker and flat screen tv. The breakfast is nice – coffee, juice, pastries and muffins, yogurt, fruit. The windows are dual paned so there is absolutely no noise from the highway. It was also quiet between rooms. Everything is in good repair and very clean. We didn’t spend much time in the room during our one night stay but we will certainly stay there again as we pass through Napa Valley.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrdduck
Pierrette T, Manager at El Bonita Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your great review.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

We stayed in December during cold weather. The room is very nice and the shower is nicer than one would expect in this price range. The pool area looked ok, but if you get a chance, the hot tub is a perfect temperature. The sauna took a while to heat up, but was very nice. Clean, well kept, and quiet if you can get a room off the main road. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms off the main highway - very quiet,
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Pierrette T, Manager at El Bonita Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great review.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Upon arrival, I was a bit concerned about it being a motel and perhaps not the nicest place but it was lovely and the staff was attentive and accommodating. It's in walking distance to a few restaurants and centrally located for several wineries within a short drive. It has a vintage-y aura and while obviously not the Ritz, it's perfect for a low key stay for a great value.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Classic 60's motor-inn style motel located on main drag in St. Helena. We love this place because it's a blast from the past and is centrally located in the Napa Valley. A complimentary full breakfast is a great way to start a day of exploring vineyards. It's my favorite stay here but be sure to book early. Can be hard to get into because it's so popular. A good back-up is the Comfort Inn in Calistoga.

• Stayed: May 2013