“Favorite Napa Property”

Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was our second visit to The Harvest Inn in three years - we are hard-pressed to find another property that offers such well-appointed accommodations and surroundings, unless we were looking to break the 4-figure per night range.

The immaculately landscaped grounds are a big draw, as is its central location - also known as Highway 29, but you'd never know you are on such a heavily-trafficked road thanks to all the foliage and the fact that the buildings are at a remove from the street.

Enjoyed both the pool and the hot-tub at night (no one else around!), along with the wood burning in-room fireplace during a chilly evening. Generously sized rooms and bathrooms, with C.O. Bigelow Apothecaries products. Wonderfully comfortable bed and linens.

Only negative comment echoes an earlier reviewer who noted that they apply a $35 Cancellation Fee - this fee was not disclosed when I booked the property via Hotels.com, and as I made a mistake in the booking date, I immediately cancelled the reservation - weeks before their Cancellation Policy and associated penalties took effect. Three months after the original booking and cancellation, and two months after staying at the property, I am still trying to obtain a refund for the $35 as this fee was not disclosed either prior to, during or immediately after booking, and was levied notwithstanding the fact that the cancellation occurred well outside their stated window. It's a poor and unjustifiable business practice that detracts from the otherwise terrific experience that the property offers.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Harvest_Inn_StHelena, General Manager at Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear DSC2014,

Thank You for your kind comments, in spite of the issue with the cancellation policy, I want the Harvest Inn to remain your Favorite Napa Property. I have contacted you separately to make sure your cancellation was refunded properly. I appreciate that you understand the value and the beauty delivered at our resort.

There are newer reviews for Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer

Reviewed 11 August 2014

To take our disappointing experience a step further, I received my charge card bill today and Harvest Inn was notified on July 17th that we were cancelling our Aug vacation reservations and as of Aug 2nd (last day of any billing on my statement) they still had $933 of my money. They also still had the $35 they charged us for cancelling 5 weeks prior to our planned stay. The public needs to know these things and I am glad to post my good as well as bad experiences. They have failed to comment on my wife's post re the $35 obnoxious charge to cancel due to a family members failing health. I'd run and hide if I were them also.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank harley252
Harvest_Inn_StHelena, General Manager at Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2014

Dear Harley,

I apologize that your request was not handled we more sensitivity, I can assure you that it is not indicative of our resort standards. If you contact my office personally on your next visit I will make sure you have a perfect stay. As of this writing you have been refunded for your cancellation fee.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The Harvest Inn is a great place to stay. Booked our stay on Vacationist, and got a decent rate. Everything about the Harvest Inn was outstanding. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were roomy and well appointed. The setting is exquisite. As its address (One Main St.) would imply, it is convenient to the center of St. Helena. Great wineries abound with Heitz, Mondavi, Louis Martini, Rombauer and more very convenient to the inn.
Breakfast is included and my reservation stated a "continental breakfast." It was so much more with eggs, sausage, a great quiche, fresh fruit, and more.
The Inn is located adjacent to a vineyard and the rooms are divided into several buildings. It's quaint and charming at the same time.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Many rooms have fireplaces and views of the vineyard.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phillip B

Dear Phillip B,

Thank you for your wonderful and kind comments. We are glad that we could provide you with a great wine country getaway.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We loved our recent visit to this special place. The wine and cheese in the evening was wonderful. My husband, who has a master in Landscape Architecture, loved the beautiful grounds. Cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms not near street
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank smartonely89

Dear Smartonely89,

Thank you for your kind comments, we are so glad you experienced the resort to its fullest. Please let my office know on your return stay, we would love to meet you personally.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I booked two nights at the Harvest Inn in June for a August vacations. As it turned out my Sister, who has been in chemo treatments was told she only had a few weeks. I immediately notified the Harvest Inn to cancel my reservation. I was informed there would be a $35.00 cancelation fee and they would not waive it. I am sorry but when you have a family emergency and have to cancel your trip and you give them approx 5 weeks notice there should be no charge. So when we do get the St. Helena you can be sure we will NOT be staying at the Harvest Inn.

Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Dawn H

Dear Dawn,

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The owners of this property have paid attention to every detail to ensure your comfort during your stay. The landscaping and property placement keeps you surrounded by tranquil quiet inspite of it's location just next to the main route. The views of the vinyards from the property were enchanting, especially at night. The rooms are immaculately clean, the beds and bedding extremely comfortable, and the staff is exceptionally attentive. This is a very expensive place to stay, but when compared to other alternatives in the area, the price point for the quality is quite reasonable. The Napa Valley region is very expensive as far as hotels are concerned. I highly recommend this hotel for couples and families as well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear LaFollette,

Thank you so much for your very kind comments, We are especially gratified to have you recognize the value we provide. Our resort is the perfect napa valley experience and we are glad you could relax and enjoy it.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Our family stayed two nights at this wonderful inn. Though we enjoyed wine tasting immensely, we couldn't wait to get back to the Harvest Inn. The staff is very attentive and the setting is quite beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Scammy,

We are so glad we could be your serene respite, during your brief stay. We look forward to your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Helena
#4 of 30 in Napa
Auberge du Soleil
Auberge du Soleil
#1 of 2 in Rutherford

Been to Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer? Share your experiences!