Southbridge Napa Valley
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I spent one night at the hotel on a business trip. One night isn't really enough time to properly judge a place and I don't think this is intended to be a business travelers hotel. But for what its worth my comments are as follows:

The location is convenient, right at one end of the main street and an easy walk to all of the restaurants and bars in town. The location is a bit unusual, as indicated by other reviewers. The location has the benefit of being quiet and the same complex conveniently includes a nice restaurant (Tra Vigne) and a winery worth visiting (Merryvale). However, it almost appears to be a re-purposed office park. Nothing wrong with that, just a bit unusual.

The public spaces are nice if a bit spare, just as you see them on the website.

My room and bathroom were very large and bright, which is a nice change from many places these days. The room definitely had some nice touches: a fireplace, french doors that opened up on to a (small) balcony and huge cathedral ceilings which really provide a nice feeling of space and light.

The bathroom was large, bright and very clean. But somehow it just didn't quite seem in place for an upscale hotel - it felt like a nice guest bathroom at someones house - not really a luxury hotel bathroom.

My bed was very comfortable and I slept well.

The room and all of the hotel that I saw are very clean and well maintained.

The continental breakfast was ok. Not the best and not the worst - just the typical assortment of pastries, cereals, yogurt, etc.

Hotel staff were all very good - friendly and helpful.

I cant say that I came away with a strong feeling for the place but, all in all, it was a pleasant and comfortable stay and a very convenient location.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Jeff M

Reviewed 25 January 2012

I was up with some coworkers for our company retreat in October and was not impressed in the slightest. The service was good but the rooms were certainly not up to par with the price. The furnishings were old and tattered, the tv old (not flat panel or flat screen), and the bathrooms were worst of all - a stark white hospital bathroom with one tiny, metal, airplane sink and no counter space. I have stayed at numerous places in Sonoma/Healdsburg area including Sonoma Mission Inn, Healdsburg Hotel, Kenwood Inn - all luxurious with wonderful service. To be honest, I've stayed at Holiday Inns that were more luxurious than The Inn at Southbridge. Had we paid in the $100 range per night then it would have been fine but this was not the type of hotel I expect when I pay over $400/night. Some good points - the service was good and the pool/fitness center excellent. I will say that they were extremely prompt addressing my concerns/complaints and told me that they were currently upgrading many rooms. However, if they are well aware that the rooms need updating/modifications than they shouldn't charge the luxury prices to begin with.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Hawkmoon209
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I spent 3 nights at the inn, while my son was recovering from surgery, and was pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of the experience. The regular king size room was huge, and had a cathedral ceiling, which added to the spacious feeling that was unexpected in a standard king room. It was tastefully decorated and immaculately clean. The bed was super comfortable and the quality of the linens was very high. I appreciated the large bottle of complimentary spring water each morning, and the small bedside bottles of water with the turn down service each evening.
The service at this inn was nothing short of amazing. There was nothing the front desk wouldn't do to make your stay more pleasant, and always with a smile. Marcelle helped us with scanning documents, faxing, and even found a charger for our computer! T
They keep menus of the local restaurants on hand to help you decide where to have lunch and dinner. Susan's recommendations were excellent.
Breakfasts were in a small, lovely room and included freshly baked goods from the local bakery. Be sure to try the English muffins, which were actually a cross between a doughnut and a muffin.
The location of this inn is perfect, as it is on Main Street, within a short walking distance of restaurants, boutiques, a pharmacy, nail salon and the spa. No need to drive after having plenty of wine with dinner!
I will definitely return - this place felt like home, after just a few days.

Room Tip: We stayed in Rooms 1,2 which were very convenient. The view was nothing special, but the location wa...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank frf18
Reviewed 14 October 2011

This is a very pleasant place to stay in Napa. Rooms are comfortable with charming features including fireplace, balcony, vaulted ceilings and more. The location is perfect...walking distance to wineries, shops and restaurants in St Helena. Situated right off of Rt 29 and easy access to Silverado Trail. Staff was very attentive. Full service spa and fitness facility including a heated lap pool and superb staff right next door. This is not what I would call a "high end, luxury" hotel. More of a low-key inn with no pretense. We enjoyed our stay and would return without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bruce g
Reviewed 17 August 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Inn At Southbridge and we loved it from the minute we arrived to the minute we left!!! The staff was amazing, the location couldn’t have been more perfect, the rooms were incredible with a huge cozy bed and a romantic fireplace. We loved the balcony that looked onto the beautiful green courtyard. We felt so relaxed our entire stay. The continental breakfast was like no other continental breakfast I've ever had - there was lots of fresh fruit with incredible baked goods. The Inn was very accommodating in every way. We throughly enjoyed the spa and pool which was 10 feet across the courtyard from our hotel. The staff at the spa was amazing and the pool was beautiful! We'll be back in the near future!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This boutique Hotel is a sister property to Meadowood, without the high price. It is walking distance to one of the best restaurants in the Valley-Tra Vigne. Also, a walk across the plaza to Merryvale Vineyards. With only 24 guestrooms, they are very attentive to your needs. Guestrooms are spacious and most have fireplaces and decks or patios. They include a lovely continental breakfast, newpaper, robes, etc. Great for a romantic getaway, a small corporate retreat or girls week-end, since the spa is next door. A 2 block walk to St. Helena with all it has to offer. Refrigerator, coffee maker, wine (for purchase), snacks, all in room.

Room Tip: Courtyard side guestrooms have a better view and are quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Madeline1969
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We were there two nights. I would not change a thing. The room was always clean and comfortable. We slept 11 hours on the comfortable bed. We will definetly return. Beautiful place!! This Inn was walking distance from downtown - reminded us of being in a European Inn. Amazing!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a lovely large room upstairs.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
#5 of 9 in St. Helena
Rancho Caymus Inn
Rancho Caymus Inn
#2 of 2 in Rutherford

Been to Southbridge Napa Valley? Share your experiences!