“The only organization that can mess up a trip to Napa”

Southbridge Napa Valley
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Reviewed 6 March 2014

It was certainly not a "luxury" hotel but got the job done. I paid for the room prior to my stay but Southbridge charged me again during checkout. Southbridge did recognize the problem and assured me the pending status of the second charge "would not clear my account and to call if there was a problem." Well, there were many problems. I was charged and it took a week and SEVERAL phone calls from both me and my bank before they reversed the charges. Their accounting/billing department is antiquated and they acted as though they were inconvenienced by my persistence in getting this matter handled. It's a nice location but don't stay here! Plus there were ants in the room.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BBLafay

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Southbridge is the place to stay if you are visiting the Napa Valley. It is right one the Main Street in St. Helena and close to everything you would want to do during your stay. Their rooms are amazing and their staff is extraordinarily accommodating. I will be staying here every time I visit.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 3 February 2014

It is a charming hotel, with a pool and spa. Great location. You cam walk into downtown St. Helena and visit Model Bakery, which is a must! A block from Gotts Roadside Burgers. Make an appointment to taste at Handwritten, best pinot hands down. In the winter the rooms over looking Tra Vigne are nice, windows open above the courtyard. I imagine when the weather is warmer, that could get loud. Helpful staff and a breakfast to boot.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jan H
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We have stayed in many Napa Valley hotels over the years. Although this hotel has a wonderful location, I was surprised it is a member of the SLH (small luxury hotels) chain. While it is a small hotel I take exception to the "luxury" title. The rooms are indeed large but furnished with Motel 6 furniture, stained industrial carpeting and a tiny old style bathroom with missing tiles and minimal counters pace. The room has zero style or personality. Given the location a major renovation would make this my "go to" hotel in the mid valley. Until they remodel this is just an overpriced Holiday Inn.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JillSF
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Like another reviewer, we had Room 9. Even though the furniture and decor was dated, the room was a nice size, comfortable and in good shape. The bathrooms had a cathedral ceiling with a sun roof. This left the room very cold at night even with the heater going on.
It was another spare the air weekend so we could not use the fireplace.
The continental breakfast is okay and is available until 10:30. There is a spa steps from the front entrance of the hotel which guests could use.
I would visit this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank scootercus
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I probably should have trusted my instinct based on prior reviews and paid a little extra to stay elsewhere. For over 20 years my husband and I visit Napa once to twice yearly. We have stayed at B & Bs; Vintage Inn, Villagio, Silverado, Embassy Suites, rental homes in Napa, St. Helena, Yountville, and Sonoma.

Napa Valley Reservation rep gave a lovely room description and a complimentary massage at the spa next door so I pre-paid one night at $360/ weekend nightly rate. Upon entering, the room reminded me of a budget chain hotel with nice linens. I have never stayed in room with some many problems as outlined below.

Front desk gal seemed distant on check in and check out; we were not allowed to use fireplace despite the weather being very cold, damp and rainy; electrical sockets were loose so that plugs for hotel hairdryer and cell phone charger kept slipping out; dead light in alcove of coffee maker so next morning we struggled to operate the unit using dim alternative lighting (maintenance was called to fix); room clock had wrong time by at least 5 hours which I thought housekeeping would fix but never did so I did it; volume on some TV channels did not work; peeling paint and scuffed cabinet in bathroom; stale pastries, yogurt, and fruit in the a.m.; mediocre deep tissue massage at spa; front desk did not have plastic bag for ice bucket; front desk was absent when leaving and arriving on excursions. I thought about changing rooms but based on description by Napa Valley Reservations about how it was upgraded I decided this was the best it was going to get. The decor was plain craftsman and bed was firm.

If you don't mind a mediocre room that will guarantee you can light the fireplace for a remarkable deal then it is a good location in St. Helena. Since breakfast was unsubstantial, we ordered breakfast sandwiches at Gotts Roadside across the street that serves from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. and has great burgers, fries, shakes, wine and beer. There is heavy traffic on weekends so take Silverado Trail to get to other locales quicker. The city fire station alarms went off 3-4 times when we were there although not late at night. You will also hear the wine train rumble and blare when it goes by. Otherwise it was relatively quiet compared to hotels that back to Highway 29.

Press Restaurant is located a mile south on Highway 29 which serves delicious salads, steaks, and sides with a substantial wine list. Do not recommend the chicken.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Villanik
MeadowoodNV, General Manager at Southbridge Napa Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay – certainly, every guest room should be free of any maintenance issues. Your specific concerns have been corrected. Our breakfast pastries are freshly baked and delivered early every morning – thank you for letting us know that you felt they were sub-par. We regret that you were unable to use the fireplace. This restriction was not imposed by the hotel, but rather by the Bay Area Air District. During your stay with us multiple “Spare the Air Day” alerts were issued. These alerts are issued due to poor air quality and subsequently the burning of solid fuel is illegal. We are glad that you got to enjoy the post harvest hustle and bustle of the upper Napa Valley. We would look forward to welcoming you back to Southbridge.

Marcelle Adderley
Southbridge Napa Valley

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We've stayed at Southbridge several times over the past three years when in town to visit family/attend a wedding. This is a small, well-run hotel. It isn't a luxury property - there is no room service, for example, but its location and friendly staff are terrific. And you can't beat the location just a block south of St. Helena. It is an easy walk into town and you can avoid the traffic and parking headaches if you want to go browse the shops or get a bite to eat. The hotel does include a nice self-serve breakfast in the morning (hard boiled eggs, toast, pastries, fruit, yogurt, cereal, coffee and tea). If you are looking for a more robust breakfast (pancakes, omelets, etc.) walk into town and try Gillwood's. There is a spa/exercise facility attached which I haven't used, but my husband says is fine if you want to get in a workout. When we have stayed we have been traveling with our kids so we usually get Rooms 6/7 which are upstairs and are adjoining. Room 6 is huge and has a king bed, a sofa bed and can accommodate a rollaway. The rooms are kept very clean and there are nice touches like chocolate dipped cookies on your pillow at night and fresh apples in the rooms. There is a well stocked mini fridge in the room and also some snack items (for purchase) if you have the munchies and it is too late to head out. The hotel is near Merryvale Winery which is a lovely place to stop and you can eat at Farmstead, Tra Vigne, Gott's and a pizza place which are all just a minute or two walk away. In general, traffic on 29 gets back-up in the afternoon heading north. If you are going out to visit winers, sometimes it can be easier to cross the the valley and drive on the Sliverado trail and cross back and approach the hotel from the north. As the hotel is located right on 29, I would request a room on the back side of the hotel.

Room Tip: I would ask not to be on the Highway 29 side of the hotel to avoid a bit of the traffic noise and oc...