“It was hard to leave!”

Wine Country Inn & Cottages
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Wine Country Inn recently and we loved it so much I do not know where to begin. We stayed in rm 7, it was spacious and had a nice little balcony overlooking the vineyards. Originially we wanted to stay in Napa, but after seeing Napa and staying in St. Helena, I was very happy with our choice. Napa seemed to have more 'chain' hotels and was a less quaint.

As for the hotel, they have an amazing breakfast every morning that's included. I can't have gluten and chef Ryan happily made me special eggs/ waffles etc. I was SO pleased. They also have free wine tastings and snacks at 4:30 everyday. It's not the cheapest place to stay, but I feel like we got a lot for our money. The grounds are beautifully set in the country but it's just a 5 minute drive into town. Very quiet, quaint, and hard to leave! They truly make you feel at home in every way possible. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you book to stay during the week, the prices are much more reasonable.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
LoveToTravelFar, Owner at Wine Country Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thanks Artsy for your excellent rating. I was particularly pleased that you mentioned that we weren't inexpensive but still gave us 5 dots when it came to "value". Obviously friendly, knowledgeable and authentic service is the biggest goal for my business, but VALUE comes next. We live and do business in a very expensive part of the world, but that doesn't mean we can't still give a good value. I believe that our extensive breakfast, our generous afternoon snacks, our evening car service and our thoughtfully decorated rooms speak to value. I'm so glad you seem to appreciate that! Thanks, and I hope we see you again! Jim, Innkeeper

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed here with a group of four couples to celebrate a 25th wedding annaversary. It was just what we were looking for. All four rooms were sizeable, but some more so than others. Our's was almost a jr suite as the sitting area was somewhat removed from the bed area with a great wood stove shareing your attention with some amazing Napa Valley vineyard views. I also have to tell you the bathroom was massive with an oversized jacuzzi tub that looked out over the vineyards and a seperate two head shower that was almost a room to itself. Only problem in there was that the toilet actually rocked side to side quiet a bit as you sat on it. Back to the wood stove I have to say that I really appreciate how they had it set up for a one match light that soon had a beautiful blaze going for us to enjoy. Waking up the next morning the sun came streaming in and those views were inspiring with our morning coffee (a Kerug unit in the rooms) sitting in the comfortable patio furnature on our balcony. Later we went to the main lodge room where a great frittata was served along with make your own belgian waffles, breads, fruits and their own house made granola that was delicious. It is a great place for a family, couple or what ever. If you are taking kids, just know that none of the rooms have TV's. A plus for us, but I did see an Australian couple leave when they were presented with this news.

Room Tip: Request an upstairs room in either the Brandy Barn or the (not sure but just say the "something...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2014

What a treat! We stayed at The Wine Country Inn in the beginning of February just to visit the Napa area. It was my first time to the wine country area and after exploring the near by cities, we are very grateful we chose The Wine Country Inn in St Helena. The town is very cute, clean and beautiful. There are a lot of great wineries near by, the Culinary Institute of America is down the street, and there are many great restaurants to chose from.

The staff at The Wine Country Inn were all very pleasant. One of the perks about staying here is there complimentary wine and appetizers served daily at 4:30 pm. The wine that is served are great wines from local wineries that can be bought at the Inn. All the appetizers were just great. As for the complimentary breakfast, it was just okay. I would say it is better than say a hotel like the Hyatt's restaurant breakfast buffet but nothing to right home about. There were good things and not so good things.

Our room was awesome! We stayed in room 23 which is a bottom unit. It was a great size, very private with an okay view of the vineyards. This room was very clean, includes a queen size bed, has a separate seating area with a fireplace, an outdoor patio that overlooks the vineyards and a private outdoor jacuzzi tub. The tub is located around the corner from the patio and is fenced off so no one can see you from any angle. My husband complained that the bed was not comfortable but for me it was fine.

Our only complaint is that our upstairs neighbors were very noisy. We really think this place is meant for a romantic getaway but you might run into people that bring a child along. Our neighbors upstairs let their kid go up and down the stairs over and over again. It was getting pretty annoying. You can definitely hear the person above you. If we stayed longer we would have complained about the noise but we were only there for a couple of nights. To avoid this problem I would make sure the room you get doesn't have anyone above you.

A must at The Wine Country Inn is their wine excursion. Marty will be your tour guide. He will drive you around to 3-5 local small wineries, hidden gems. We told him what kind of wines we were interested in seeing and he customized our itinerary to that. He also gave some other suggestions which we very helpful. It was a great day with just me, my husband and Marty. You might be lucky like us and get to go by yourselves or you might have to share the tour with other couple. We are so blessed to have this experience. Thank you Marty for a wonderful day! He also takes you back to The Wine Country Inn and prepares lunch for you at half time.

Other excursions we did: went to the Culinary Institute of America to watch a teacher demo a recipe. It was delicious! Gott's for lunch, delicious! Auberge du Soleil, delicious! Morimoto Napa, delicious!

2  Thank LecSam

Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. I'm sorry that everything was not perfect for you. Though I believe the room you stayed in is very well soundproofed from the room above I can imagine it is not sufficient to handle a rambunctious child that is not well corralled by his/her parents. We would have absolutely responded if we had been aware. I am so glad, though, that you enjoyed Marty and your day of touring. Isn't he fantastic! I wish I could keep all those wine facts in my head. And he knows EVERYBODY. We would love to have you stay with us again. If you'd shoot us off an email we are always interested in how we can make our breakfast more enjoyable! Thanks again, Jim, Innkeeper

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have stayed here twice and plan to do so again. The accommodations were fabulous and provide a perfect place to base a visit to Napa Valley wine country. If you have a chance to stay here, be sure to sign up for a "wine inncursion". It is a full day of wine tasting. The Inn provides transportation to two wineries/tastings in the morning. Then a gourmet lunch back at the inn. Followed by two more wineries/tastings in the afternoon. You get the VIP tour at each stop. Fantastic experience.

Room Tip: Some rooms have private hot tubs. Larger groups should choose a cottage. Swimming pool and hot tub o...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Hey Wayne, thanks for your return patronage. I noticed from your profile that you don't just give out 5-star ratings to everyone so your comments are especially valued by me. I am really glad you took advantage of our tour service (our Inn-Cursion). We feel like we have two spectacular drivers/guides/concierges. Both Marty and Tracy have been driving for me since we started this service 7 or 8 years ago and I just couldn't be luckier to still have them. Hope to see you again soon! Jim, Innkeeper

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I simply cannot say enough good things about this property! I have worked in the hotel industry for a number of years, and as a result have stayed at a number of extremely high end and well known hotels. This rivals them all. From the smallest room to the biggest cottage, the staff at this hotel are there to make sure that your stay is comfortable and relaxing. Waking up to the views over neighboring wineries is a great way to start the day, as is Chef Ryan's amazing breakfast. Located perfectly just north of St. Helena, there are literally dozens of wineries nearby. Then you can return to the hotel and enjoy the wine reception (with more of Chef Ryan's creations). The beauty of this hotel is not only its staff, but the fact that it does not have the typical industrial feel of many properties, like you are just the next guest coming through. On the other hand, it isn't so small that you feel like you are staying at your grandmother's house and your comings and goings are being monitored. It is simply the perfect retreat. My only regret is that we didn't have one extra day (or at least a rain free one) to enjoy the heated pool and hot tub. I guess we will just have to stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
LoveToTravelFar, General Manager at Wine Country Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Hi Amber. Thank you very much for your nice note regarding your stay at The Wine Country Inn. I have to say, we have many, many nice couples stay with us...but few have been as nice as Joe and especially yourself. Jacqui in particular commented to me one day how the two of you were helping clean up after our evening Wine Service--thank you for that! Your comments are particularly valuable because of your experience and work in the hospitality industry, so thank you again. And I'm so glad that you two got to enjoy one of our cottages. And for your next trip, we'll do a better job of working on keeping away the rain, as our pool and Jacuzzi are spectacular! Cheers!
Tim

Reviewed 11 February 2014

My husband and I just returned from our 5 day stay at the Wine Country Inn. We are still on cloud 9 from our wonderful experience. The room was fantastic and impeccably clean. The customer service was excellent. Everyone we came across at the Inn from the owner Jim, GM Tim, to the fantastic front desk staff and of course, the amazing Chef Ryan were helpful and accommodating. We felt like old friends coming for a visit. There were so many little special touches at the Inn that made us feel well taken care of. We will DEFINITELY be back!

2  Thank Dagni C
LoveToTravelFar, General Manager at Wine Country Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dagni, thank you very much for your nice comments about your recent stay at The Wine Country. All of us here on the team enjoyed meeting Roger and yourself. I in particular enjoyed our chats about your summer "place" (the videos on your web site are amazing!), as well as your adventures here (Jarvis, Duckhorn, etc.). Please do consider us old friends who are happy to welcome you both back at any time. Cheers!
Tim

Reviewed 9 February 2014

My wife and I were celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary and we could not have picked a better location for our Napa Experience than the Wine Country Inn. First off, Rachael is an awesome hostess. We arrived a bit earlier than the check-in time because being me...if it can go wrong it does...LOL! She helped resolve the issues and recommend some great wineries while doing so. The ambiance of the inn was open and friendly and the food was awesome. The WCI is centrally located for to experience all that Napa & Sonoma Valleys had to offer and they provided complimentary wine tasting for some of the more exclusive local wineries. The WCI was a gem of a discovery which added so much to my wife and I wedding celebration!

Room Tip: If you're part of the tall community (the 6'2" plus crowd) I strongly recommend getting...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Lorenzo D
#4 of 30 in Napa
SENZA Hotel
SENZA Hotel
#3 of 30 in Napa

Been to Wine Country Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!