The location on Zinfandel Lane is convenient to many wineries, practically next door to Raymond, and off the main hwy., but there was still considerable traffic noise that could be heard from our room (Sunny Hideaway) with trucks on their way to the wine processing facility nearby or folks cutting over to the Silverado Trail.
When we arrived we were not greeted by anyone and there was a note with our name pinned to a bulletin board outside the main house letting us know that our key was in our room. Our room was in a separate building from the main house and had a small porch overlooking the stone parking area out front. Although everything was clean and in good condition this room needs some updating. I think it was the quilted lace pouch covering the extra roll of toilet paper, the mismatched artwork and the bedding that made me feel like I was in a grandmother's spare bedroom that hadn't been updated since 1982. It wouldn't take a lot to make this room a little bit more current while maintaining it's country charm. The four poster bed, claw foot tub, fireplace and most of the furniture are quite nice. A fresh coat of paint, new carpeting, some new bed linens and some well-placed, appropriate art would make this a lovely retreat.
One of the nicest features of this room was the view out of the bathroom window. Too bad there wasn't a screen on it and bugs were coming in. (There wasn't a screen on any of the windows.) Between 5 and 6 there was a selection of two wines and cheese and crackers on the patio. I was pleasantly surprised that the wine was drinkable and the patio with vine covered gazebo is a nice spot.
Breakfast was average. A baked apple and a waffle and sausage the first morning. I asked for decaf coffee and they said they would make some yet it never appeared. We were asked if we wanted walnuts in the waffle. I said yes, but tasted maybe one in mine. The second morning was much better with some fruit with a tasty topping, pecan and fruit french toast and sausage.
If you want a bottle of water when you come back from wine tasting prepare to contribute $1 in the box located inside the fridge to cover the 25 cent Kirkland water bottle. Kind of cheap if you ask me.
To be fair the owners were out of town this weekend, but I would guess they would put appropriate personnel in place while they travel so that their guests can't even tell the difference. This wasn't a bad experience, but it wasn't one I can go on and on about like when we stayed at the Black Rock Inn a mile or two down the street in July.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We invite you to experience the warmth and romance of Shady Oaks Country Inn secluded on two acres nestled among some of the finest Wineries and restaurants in Napa Valley. Relax and enjoy the elegant ambiance, the wine country tranquility and our cozy amenities during your stay. Shady oaks Country Inn offers the hospitality of a bed and breakfast along with first class amenities like romantic fireplaces, flat screen satellite television free Wifi and a full champagne breakfast. Our goal at Shady oaks Country Inn is to offer you the finest combination of luxury, hospitality and history. To enhance your stay, we serve full champagne breakfasts and premium Napa wines and cheeses each evening on the Roman pillared patio. Awaken to the Inn's own blend of coffee and our breakfast complete with Eggs Benedict, Belgian waffles, fresh fruit, our home baked breads, fresh baked croissants, fresh juice and champagne. After spending your day exploring the beautiful Napa Valley vineyards, we invite you to browse through our collection of restaurant menus that include fine dining and casual restaurants. We are more than happy to make recommendations and reservations for you! Book a stay with us at Shady Oaks Country Inn, and experience the perfect blend of luxury and comfort in Napa Valley! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Shady Oaks Country Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shady Oaks Country Hotel St. Helena
- Country Inn St. Helena
- St. Helena Country Inn
- Shady Oaks Country Inn St. Helena, Napa Valley, California