“Lovely stay, friendly & attentive innkeeper”
Review of Inn St Helena

Inn St Helena
Ranked #2 of 12 St. Helena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 December 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Ambrose Bierce House in early September while attending a friend's wedding in St. Helena. We had the charming, sunny, and comfortable Lillie Langtry room, which includes a nice large bath with plenty of surface space for toiletries (not always the case in B&B bathrooms).
The location of the inn is ideal - we could walk anywhere we wanted to go in downtown St. Helena, which made shopping & restaurant exploration fun & easy. Calistoga was an easy & very pretty drive up the road, and of course nearby wineries are plentiful.
Carlos, the innkeeper, was exceedingly friendly and very enthusiastic in talking about the area and suggesting activities & restaurants. Breakfasts were great, and one morning included homemade croissants - some of the best we've had outside France & Belgium.
Our trip went all too fast & we would love to have stayed longer. Compared to some of the other very pricey lodging options in the area, the Ambrose Bierce house was a very enjoyable place to stay at a great value. We would be happy to return.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DCQTrip
There are newer reviews for Inn St Helena

Reviewed 1 December 2009

I highly recommend staying at the Ambrose Bierce house. The property is located in downtown St. Helena, within easy walking distance to restaurants and shops, and a short drive to wineries and the countryside. That's if you want to go out. Staying in is nice too! The rooms are beautifully furnished and maintained, with many amenities and comforts. The breakfast was delicious! The innkeepers, Carlos and Jenna, are gracious hosts, knowledgeable about the area and with great recommendations for places to eat (I'm blanking on the name of the restaurant, but ask them where to get mushroom soup). We had a wonderful visit at Ambrose House, and highly recommend it!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ListoSanFrancisco
Reviewed 8 November 2009

I loved our stay here. The people were very helpful and very willing to help us out with the area. The breakfast was excellent and the bedroom was very elegant. We will be going back here the next time.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChristianLynn
Reviewed 8 November 2009

We recently stayed at the Ambrose Bierce House in St Helena. We came up for a wedding, and decided to stay the entire weekend to enjoy the town and breathtaking scenery. This is my second visit to this BEAUTIFUL town, and love it more and more every time I visit. The hospitality of the inn keepers, Carlos and Jenna, is PHENOMENAL. They are extremely knowledgeable, and have great tips for the surrounding wineries and restaurants. Everything is within walking distance, or a very short drive away. We have only had the priviledge of staying at the Ambrose Bierce House, but look forward to staying at the sister property of Shady Oaks Country Inn. We were able to take a mini tour and just loved it! Did I mention that they serve breakfast? YUMMY!! I think my mouth is still watering from the honeyed grapefruit and the homemade waffles! I felt like I was at home with a personal chef! I have recommended these prpoerties to all of our friends and family, and hope that they have a chance to experience and enjoy this place as much as we have. It is an amazingly romantic home that makes you feel like to never want to leave! They have really defined the true meaning of "rest and relaxation". =) I look forward to going back soon!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shannan71
Reviewed 24 June 2009

The wife and I booked this B&B for a short-notice one-nighter to the Napa Valley. We stayed in the Ambrose Bierce Suite which consists of a good-sized sitting room, good-sized bathroom and a small bedroom. The place met my first two requirements of very clean and quiet. This was only our third stay at a B&B but the bed was noticeably less soft than the previous two. That is really the only negative thing I can say. On the other hand, the breakfast at Ambrose Bierce beats the other two hands down! We started with fresh berries and bananas topped with a special creme fraiche then onto the best Belgian waffles I've ever had topped with a warm peach compote. These were served with a chicken and apple sausage, which was cooked perfectly. The whole meal was delicious. Ambrose Bierce House is in the center of St. Helena, which for anyone not familiar, is in the center of the Napa Valley. It is a great location with great food and I would not hesitate in recommending this place.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2009

Tiny room! No refrigerator, no coffee maker in the room.
No fan in the bath room. Room with thin walls.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victor16
Reviewed 1 March 2009

My husband and I just returned from St. Helena and our stay at the Ambrose Bierce House. This was our second visit and it was just as nice as our first. We stayed in the Ambrose Bierce suite which was lovely. Two large rooms with a large bath in between. Lots of storage in the bathroom. Our bedroom was a perfect size. Carlos, the Innkeeper was a wondeul host. Our breakfast was delicious and he gave us a wonderful dinner idea ("Market"). We sat on the upstairs front porch and enjoyed the view. Carlos provided wine in the afternoon from a small local winery. If you're looking for a great B&B, stay here. It's only a short walk to all the downtown resturants and shopping!!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Helena
#4 of 6 in Yountville
Napa Valley Lodge
Napa Valley Lodge
#1 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Inn St Helena? Share your experiences!