“Hidden Jewel in Napa Valley”
Review of Salvestrin Winery

Salvestrin Winery
Ranked #41 of 116 things to do in St. Helena
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a boutique winery located in St. Helena, Ca...the heart of Napa Valley. Owned, farmed, and operated by the Salvestrin Family for 77 years, our wines are 100% Estate and we produce approx 3,500 cases. We'd love to have you at the winery for a private tasting and tour, please schedule an appointment or a lunch to see our 'off the beaten path' winery and vineyard!
El Dorado Hills, California
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Hidden Jewel in Napa Valley”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

When you think of Napa wineries most people think of Mondavi, BV, Sterling, Beringer, Stag's Leap, V.Sattui, Coppola. All are great places to visit but they are also very crowded and not very intimate. (Cakebread and Silver Oak are also two of my favorites, not super busy since it's by appointment only.)

My wife and I visited a hidden Napa gem: Salvestrin Estate in St. Helena because it had a 5 star Yelp rating. When we drove up to the winery, it was not what we expected, very quaint, much smaller in size than we used to but very intimate and cozy. We walked up the flight of stairs to the tasting room where we were greeted by Luke. (Highly recommended to make a reservation)

Our wine tasting experience with Luke is exactly how I think it should be: very personable, comfortable, social, and fun. I literally felt like we were drinking wine in my living room while listening to good music. I also cannot think of the last time I had a tasting flight where each tasting was superb. Each had excellent appearance, aroma, and wonderful extended finish! Soft, smooth, delicate, well-balanced, perfect harmony!

1. 2010 Estate Sauvignon Blanc
2. 2009 Estate Retaggio (Sangiovese Blend)
3. 2007 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine tasting was $15 for the flight which Luke waived when be bought a bottle of the Retaggio and Cabernet Sauvignon. (I'm not a white wine drinker but almost converted when I tried their Sauvignon Blanc.)

Try something different on your next visit to Napa and get a reservation at Salvestrin.

ENJOY!

Visited December 2012

Boston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Awesome family winery”
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

They are the best, we are wine club members and continue to love the wine. It is a great place to stop for a tasting. Make an appointment to be sure they have space!

1 Thank noreaster
Edmonton, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A gem in the valley”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My wife and I visited the Salvestrin Winery as a stop with Consort Wine Tours. We were extremely glad that he brought us.

We had an excellent spot under an umbrella, where we were able to try the wines, enjoy our lunch (that our driver brought), see the vineyard and learn about the winery and the family.

Andy was our host for our tasting and he was excellent. We really felt like he was part of the family. He had great knowledge of the area and the family.

We completed the visit by buying a couple of bottles of wine and will definitely be back for another visit some day.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Jimmy P
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent hospitality”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I decided to visit Salvestrin really because it was within walking distance of where I was staying at the El Bonita motel and I wanted to pick up a bottle of sauvignon blanc for the room. It's by appointment only so called them up and told them I my situation, which was one person looking to come by late on a Friday afternoon. They said come on over and couldn't have been more hospitable when I arrived. They've got a lovely tasting room and it was a great place to sit and talk to the folks there (I was the only guest), and they even poured me some tastes of some special stuff they happened to have open, which was very generous. I thought the the 3D cabernet was outstanding and really enjoyed the retaggio super tuscan as well.

Sidenote, I think they have a small guest house that one could stay at that seemed like it would be a really nice quiet place to stay.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Ben_20007
Napa, California
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Small family owned”
Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

If you like small and family involved wineries look no further.

The wines are good across the board and reasonably priced. I like their Sauvignon Blanc, Retaggio (Sangiovese blend) and their Cabernet Sauvignon.

Rich Salvestrin is a very good wine-maker and will talk to you about the wine if asked.

Can not recommend highly enough. Check them out.

Visited May 2012