“Sangiovese”
Review of Salvestrin Winery

Salvestrin Winery
Ranked #42 of 117 things to do in St. Helena
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a boutique winery located in St. Helena, Ca...the heart of Napa Valley. Owned, farmed, and operated by the Salvestrin Family for 77 years, our wines are 100% Estate and we produce approx 3,500 cases. We'd love to have you at the winery for a private tasting and tour, please schedule an appointment or a lunch to see our 'off the beaten path' winery and vineyard!
Houston, Texas
197 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“Sangiovese”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I went here because I love Sangiovese, and I was not disappointed. I loved all of their wines that we were able to try. We sat outside on their patio on a beautiful day. Can't wait to go back (and we did join their club).

Visited January 2014

Vacaville, California
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 361 helpful votes
“This is a fantastic winery ... very down to earth ... but you better prefer Reds”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We visited this winery again this past week with my daughter and son-in-law. They only have one white wine, all the rest are reds ... but I prefer reds, especially Cabernet and Merlot.

Visited March 2014
3 Thank DennisAtkinson
Greenville, South Carolina
105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Great stop...glad we did”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

On such a perfect, sunny, California day, this winery conducting all of their tastings on the patio in a very casual way. We got to know the two of the employees here after drinking wine with them for a good hour...and also their winery cat, Olive. We felt like part of the family by the time we left....with a few bottles in hand.

Visited March 2014
Dallas, Texas
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Blown away!”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We were referred here by Whitehall Lane Winery, of which I'm a wine club member, just down the road. Wow! How relaxing the atmosphere is here! The setting is beautiful and the young man and woman who educated us on the winery, the wines, and the family were so friendly and made us feel like family! The production is very limited so snag a bottle of whatever you like while you're here! I grabbed a big bottle of Merlot and I only regret not buying two! Bravo to this winery!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Bj1975
El Dorado Hills, California
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Hidden Jewel in Napa Valley”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

When you think of Napa wineries most people think of Mondavi, BV, Sterling, Beringer, Stag's Leap, V.Sattui, Coppola. All are great places to visit but they are also very crowded and not very intimate. (Cakebread and Silver Oak are also two of my favorites, not super busy since it's by appointment only.)

My wife and I visited a hidden Napa gem: Salvestrin Estate in St. Helena because it had a 5 star Yelp rating. When we drove up to the winery, it was not what we expected, very quaint, much smaller in size than we used to but very intimate and cozy. We walked up the flight of stairs to the tasting room where we were greeted by Luke. (Highly recommended to make a reservation)

Our wine tasting experience with Luke is exactly how I think it should be: very personable, comfortable, social, and fun. I literally felt like we were drinking wine in my living room while listening to good music. I also cannot think of the last time I had a tasting flight where each tasting was superb. Each had excellent appearance, aroma, and wonderful extended finish! Soft, smooth, delicate, well-balanced, perfect harmony!

1. 2010 Estate Sauvignon Blanc
2. 2009 Estate Retaggio (Sangiovese Blend)
3. 2007 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine tasting was $15 for the flight which Luke waived when be bought a bottle of the Retaggio and Cabernet Sauvignon. (I'm not a white wine drinker but almost converted when I tried their Sauvignon Blanc.)

Try something different on your next visit to Napa and get a reservation at Salvestrin.

ENJOY!