“The price paid on reservation lower than real price...”
Review of Hotel St. Helena

Hotel St. Helena
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We made a reservation, and when we got to check in, the price was higher of what we had already paid with our credit card. The only thing the rude manager offered us was ''no charge for leaving and go get a hotel room somewhere esle'' at the last minute...

Room Tip: Go to El Bonita, half a mile south of St Helena. Clean and a lot more friendly !!!
Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Daniel P

Reviewed 4 September 2011

I was warned by previous reviewers but got desperate and stayed here anyway. For over $200 a night this was a serious disappointment. The room was tiny (I couldn't walk around the room after I opened my overnight bag), looked out onto a brick wall, paint was peeling in several spots, there was no night stand next to the bed and thus no lamp next to the bed, lighting from the ceiling lamp was inadequate to read, there was no TV or even a clock radio. I had to stand on the bed to turn on the ceiling fan and it was hot. Opening the window was not an option as the inadequate air conditioner was outside of the window and very loud. The carpet was old and I put towels on the floor for sanitary reasons. The bathroom was "down-the-hall" which I knew ahead of time. For this price, I would have expected a few more amenities especially for "down-the-hall" such as throw away slippers, paper cups in the bathroom, shower items. . . Breakfast consisted of pre-packaged bakery goods and beige coffee. This is a budget hotel with top pricing. And, yes, as other reviewers said, it has a weird feeling. I got up early and couldn't wait to get out. There is no elevator so be prepared to lug your bags up 2 flights of stairs. If it was a deal, I'd put up with the inconveniences but for the price - this hotel is ridiculous. Drive a little further and be more comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank aissw
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I travelled to St. Helena for a week long class at the Culinary Institute of America and stayed at the Hotel St. Helena. As I was checking in, the lady at the front desk mentioned that she would be on duty until 8:00 PM. Since I travelled from Orlando Florida, the first order of business was a nice long nap, followed by unpacking and dinner. When I got back to my room around 8:10, I turned on the TV and found that it did not work. Fortunately, the lady (owner?) at the front desk was still there, waiting for one last guest to arrive. She immediately moved me to a different room--one slightly larger and with a bigger bathroom (and a working TV!). I don't know what hotel some of the other reviewers stayed at, but it could not have been this one. I found Hotel St. Helena to be quaint, tasteful, and clean. I have a bad back, and as such at home sleep on a mattress only slightly softer than a slab of granite. But I suffered no ill effects at all from the hotel's mattress. I did not venture into the garden, but the upstairs common area proved to be the perfect place, if a little dark, to enjoy a glass of wine after a long hot day in the kitchens of CIA. I also cannot speak to the quality of the breakfast or afternoon tea as class coincided with both. The location cannot be beat. Right in the heart of downtown St. Helena, with numerous restaurants and all of the shopping within easy walking distance, again I'll mention the bad back. There were really few negatives, but if I had to nitpick, an ice machine in a common area, or better yet small fridge in the room, would have been nice. Also, if you are travelling with a laptop and your power brick has a three prong plug, then you might want to bring a short extension cord or buy one at the hardware store just up the street as the only three prong outlet is in the bathroom. All in all, I would happily stay at Hotel St. Helena again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank OrlandoRob238
Reviewed 18 June 2011

My daughter and I took a road trip to Napa and stayed 2 nights at the St. Helena Hotel. The service we received was great. The hotel is charming with a little touch of rustic. The continental breakfast was perfect for our needs. The outdoor sitting/garden area is adorable. We'll certainly be back because there's no better value for the location.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2011

My husband and I traveled with good friends to the Napa Valley for a weekend get-away at the end of April. Our plan was to eat great food, drink good wine, visit a few wineries, and do some shopping. We couldn’t have picked a better hotel to accomplish our mission.
First of all, Hotel St. Helena is smack dab in the middle of the charming town of St. Helena - full of boutiques, galleries, and restaurants. We walked to dinner both Friday and Saturday evenings (Cindy’s Backstreet Kitchen, and Terra Bar – both terrific), shopped before and after touring, window-shopped after hours, and strolled the residential neighborhoods adjacent to the town. It was delightful to walk out the front door of the hotel and into the action without having to get in and out of the car.
Additionally, the hotel was conveniently located to the sites on our list for Saturday: Clos Pegase Winery for the modern art & architecture, Castello di Amoroso for the castle tour, and the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone for lunch on the terrace (overlooking the Napa valley). All three places were within an easy, and gorgeous 12-minute drive of the hotel.
Best of all, though, was the comfort of the hotel. The staff was exceptional - warm, friendly, informative and attentive; the breakfast was authentic (not packaged)– nice breads and spreads, great OJ (no pulp!), and delicious coffee; the afternoon wine was surprisingly decent – which we enjoyed in the quiet, lovely courtyard; the wifi was easy to access on our phones & laptops (and was included in the room price); the rooms were clean; the bed & linens were comfortable; the plumbing was current; and the parking was free.
While I frequently use internet reviews, I will admit that this is the first one I have ever written. I was moved to writing because I felt strongly about our visit to the hotel, and because I believe there were a few poor reviews before mine that nearly influenced me from keeping our reservation. The hotel is an old (>100 years) Victorian and is decorated appropriately. It is NOT a modern, spa hotel. If the latter is what you are looking for, this is not it. If you are looking for a weekend similar to the one I described above, then I cannot think of a better place to stay. Hotel St. Helena has my full endorsement, and I will absolutely return to the hotel on our next trip to the Napa Valley.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank AMravca
Reviewed 18 April 2011

I booked the Hotel St Helena after looking at it's website. My first clue should have been the 'NO REFUNDS' sign at the reception desk. This hotel was reasonably clean, with old carpeting. Decor is always personal choice --- if you like collections of old dolls and knick knacks, this is the place for you. Our room was small, spartan and stuffy. We had to put our bags on the floor. There was no room on the nightstand between the beds. A wobbly armoire offered a couple of wire clothes hangers. No hooks for coats, no hooks in the bathroom. The beds were so soft when I sat in the middle both ends came up. There were no mattress pads --- just the sheet. We got into bed, realized our heads were low & feet were high, so we put our pillows at the other end. Can't report on the continental breakfast -- we got up and out of there. (the highpoint was a late dinnet at Cindy's Backstreet Cafe --excellent!)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank napatour
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I can't imagine why anyone would give this place a rating above zero. Its that bad. The maroon carpets are badly stained. The bathroom barely works. The street noise is loud, and you can't open the room windows. How can it be louder inside my room than outside? The television was a joke -- something from the 1970's? All fuzzy with terrible reception. To read, I could prop myself in the little chair and put my feet up on the bed -- cozy -- no. The bedspread smelled terribly like some man's cologne. I threw the pillows on the floor and used my own travel pillow. The room's pillows looked like the ones I would throw out after my son came home from three weeks in summer camp. Gross. The breakfast was a sad affair. Don't believe the reviews about a "French" breakfast or whatever that is. Think reconstituted orange juice and a piece of flimsy raisin toast with a vat of recycled cream cheese on the side. Wine reception? Be careful of the glasses -- mine had a crack all the way up to its opening. Kind of speaks for the entire place. Oh, and re the haunted nature of many reviews -- there is no doubt this place has a creepy aura -- nothing bad happened to me there (except a guy walking out of my room when I was gone for 5 minutes -- is that creepy?), but there's no way I would ever set my foot (or wallet) back in that overpriced dump.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
The Meritage Resort and Spa
El Bonita Motel
El Bonita Motel
#7 of 9 in St. Helena

Been to Hotel St. Helena? Share your experiences!