“Not worth the price”

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Sacramento, California
“Not worth the price”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I would stay at this hotel, if the cost was about $89.00 a night. The only reason they get a star is because the women at the front counter are adorable. The beds are uncomfortable and the rooms are extremely small. Also, you can hear every whisper inside the hotel and outside of the hotel. It is not worth the average price of $300.00 a night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 341Shelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Oregon Coast, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I just spent 3 horrible nights in this place at top dollar. The first day all seemed nice and sweet but it was hot out and no a.c. room and hotel like an oven, horrible noise from the street. We complained and tried to get out of it..no way. The next day a.c. came on full blast (no in room control) freezing. No window screens. Wi Fi advertised but signal so weak it is useless.
The complimentary breakfast was a bunch of stale Costco pastry and hard boiled eggs..every day along with cheap coffee. We never got fresh soap, had our room glasses washed or replaced..all in all terrible service at a premium price.

Room Tip: if you have to stay there get a room on the alley rather than the street side
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jean U

Travellers are raving about these St. Helena hotels

Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We had six people in three rooms. Only one had air conditioning. And it was too cold! The rest of the hotel was hot. It was summer. It's hot in St. Helena in the summer. We were the only guests in the hotel and they could to get all three rooms cooled off properly. For $300/night?

Not only that, the parking spaces are double deep. Our car was blocked in and we could not get to an appointment in the morning because the owner of a nearby jewelry store parked behind us! His wife was incredibly rude when we asked him to move. We should have had him towed.

Go to another place~

Room Tip: There isn't one if you want a climate controlled room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Amanda D
Oakland, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We read the reviews and thought to ourselves, we're low maintenance people - we will be fine. But we weren't...and it's simply due to the cost. It's not worth the money you will pay .. trust me, it's really not. I love character but I've been in better places for less money. Originally we were placed in an TINY room -- literally enough room for a bed -- and that was almost $300. Luckily we were moved to a bigger room (which was great) but the floor was extremely slanted -- to the point where I found myself stumbling a couple of times (and I was completely sober). The room had a clawfoot tub (but there was no stopper??) and the bed was so uncomfortable. We spent the night tossing and turning. The best thing about this space is the location - which was stellar. But as pretty much all the reviews say, the location doesn't make up for the overpriced poor condition of the space. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chanell_fletcher
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Hotel needs complete renovation. Air conditioning doesn't work. No sound insulation which means no sleep do constant street noise. Rooms are tiny and in disrepair. Prices are absurdly high for a dump like this. Only good thing was that the staff was nice and we're apologetic about the condo on of the hotel. You will sleep better in your car. Save your money.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Wclise
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

I'm a 20 year old young lady, staying by myself for the first time. I instantly felt at home and safe when I returned to my room around 11:30pm.

I'm a lover of antiques, so I thought the claw foot tub and the whole atmosphere of the room was very charming and quaint.
I loved the fact that it was a historical building, that was fantastic!

Major wins:
- Squeaky clean sheets (no visible stains)
- Clean carpet (I did the sock test, result was clean socks)
- Quaint furnishings (I love the style of the bed, so cute!!)
- The cheapest rate on short notice in the area (for a college student, this was very important)
- Lovely continental breakfast spread (different types of pastries, yogurt, cereal, AMAZING COFFEE!!)
- Friendly and welcoming employees (everyone had a smile and a cheerful Good Morning!)

Fails:
- Small sink (hard to wash my face in it)
- Towels are not absorbent at all ( had to use two or three just for my hair)
- Beds are rock hard (I can sleep just about anywhere and it took me a while to find a comfy spot)
- Lights are not the brightest (had to sit awkwardly on the floor facing the window to get proper light to do makeup, mildly annoying)

BE SURE TO BRING A SMALL EXTENSION CORD!!! I had to charge my phone in the bathroom, the only outlet in the room did not work and it was behind the bed.

If you're looking for a chic, up to date hotel, look somewhere else.

Give it a try, I enjoyed my limited stay!

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Zoe C
San Francisco, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Talk about over priced. It was hard to believe this place could charge as much as it does for a hotel room that has nothing! I have stayed in a lot of hotels over the years and this was probably the most expensive hotel room per square foot that I have stayed in and it was terrible.

-100 square foot room that barely fit a queen size bed (if you do the math it was $3.30 per square foot per night!)
-Ceiling fan didn't work
-All hotel decor/furniture from ~1900
-You can feel the springs in the mattress
-Only two miniature reading lamps and one didn't even have a light bulb!
-No A/C
-100 year old towels that felt like sandpaper
-No one at the front desk after 10p

I will stop there before I break my keyboard.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,024 reviews
Inn St Helena
Inn St Helena
#2 of 12 in St. Helena

Been to Hotel St. Helena? Share your experiences!