“Wonderful and Relaxing”
Review of Duckhorn Vineyards

Duckhorn Vineyards
Ranked #11 of 120 things to do in St. Helena
More attraction details
Owner description: Co-founded by Dan and Margaret Duckhorn in 1976, Duckhorn Vineyards has spent almost forty years establishing itself as one of North America's premier producers of Napa Valley wines. Visit the winery in St. Helena, CA for an unforgettable wine country experience.
Reviewed 15 June 2009

We made an appointment for a 3:30 tasting at Duckhorn on the first day of vacation. Our flight into SF was 3 hours delayed. We got on the road to Napa Valley at 2:30 and I knew it would be tight to make our 3:30 appointment so I called to let them know we'd probably miss our tasting since it was so late in the day. The woman I spoke to over the phone felt confident we'd make it and I told her I would call her back as we got closer. At 3:30 we knew we were still 30 minutes out so I called again. She told me that she'd still have people there for at least another half hour so to just stop by anyway. We finally arrived at 4:00. We were promptly seated at a table on the porch and treated to 5 different tastings. Even though we showed up a half hour late, we were not rushed at all. It was exactly the atmosphere we wanted after a long day of traveling. Our host was very knowledgeable and gave us several other recommendations for the rest of our trip. This was a perfect start to our wonderful wine country vacation. I definitely recommend if you are looking for a relaxing way to taste some great wine.

All reviews
in 23 reviews
"great setting"
"tasting experience"
in 18 reviews
"glass of sauvignon blanc"
"tasting room"
in 12 reviews
"make reservations"
"silverado trail"

Reviewed 9 September 2008

Well manicured gardens and a very comfortable tasting room. The ambiance is overall very lovely, clean, and welcoming.

We came just right after they open, we're the first ones there. The guy who did our tasting peresented us with all the different wine cards and took the time to explain all the wines. He also described which food he thinks will make a good pairing. Overall he was very friendly and informative.

The wine is definitely above average (compared to other wineries in the area) but it's not the best. We walked out with a bottle of their estate Cabernet and their Goldeneye Pinot.

2  Thank Rubee1402
Reviewed 27 March 2008

On a trip earlier this week to Napa, my friend and I were excited when we managed to secure an appointment at Duckhorn Winery - particularly since my friend had raved about the wine. The grounds were lovely. The sun was shining. It should have been positive experience but we both found it to be cold, and formal. There was no interaction; no banter; no welcoming smile. The wine pourings were small. As for the wine itself - it was okay. At $40 for what was less than a 25 minute experience, we left disappointed. My advice is to by-pass this winery and go hang out at Robert Sinskey (Silverado Trail) - you'll find it a much better experience all round!

Reviewed 22 October 2007

I made a reservation for a wine tasting at Duckhorn. My party of 4 arrived on time and were seated. A tasting room person poured the wine, threw some cards describing the wine on the table and disappeared. From then on we were on our own--reading to each from the cards about the wine.

This was this worst tasting experience I have ever had. For $40.00 a couple, I expected something more. It was especially disappointing as we brought some friends from out of state with us for their first visit to Napa.

Although I live in the area, I will never go back.