“Not the Special Occasion type experience we were hoping for”
Review of Black Rock Inn

Black Rock Inn
Ranked #1 of 12 St. Helena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Based on so many good reviews, I had anticipated a better experience. I booked the 3 nights hoping for a romantic, special occasion type stay for my husband's Birthday. We love staying at B&B's rather than hotels, and had high hopes for our visit. If you are looking for a Warm/Fuzzy romantic Inn that offers special touches and acknowledgement of special occasions for it's guests, this is not that type of place.
The Inn was spotless, and the breakfast was fresh and delicious. The hot part of the meal is served family style, more casual than most B&B's.
Location is very good, but if you like to take a walk, I'd recommend driving to a safer, less busy road to walk on with better visibility on the driver's part.
No cell phone reception (AT&T) on property, and there wasn't a land line for us to use when we needed to make an important call, and Jeff the sole innkeeper was not on the property at the time, so that was a really stressful experience for us. Wish we had known ahead of time.
Napa is such a special, romantic area, we were hoping for an Inn experience that matched that, and unfortunately were disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank WRbride
Jeff O, Owner at Black Rock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

First and foremost, I feel terrible that you had a disappointing experience.

I apologize if you were not aware that cell reception can be very spotty throughout the Napa Valley. AT&T service seems to come and go on my property but works pretty well in the front areas. On the evening you mentioned (the 2nd night you were here), I did go out for dinner but was here throughout the afternoon and early evening. Since you had stayed in your room, I thought you were resting before going out to dinner (I knew you had later dinner reservations).

A decent part of hospitality in Napa (and here at the Inn) revolves around wine. I am always here in the afternoon/evening time to share wine with guests as well as some light food. This wasn’t something you chose to partake of. It wasn’t until after you arrived that I realized neither of you drink wine.

I take great pride in having guests feel special and comfortable staying here. I try to read my guests and give them space and privacy. You both seemed to prefer staying in your room and I do not typically bother guests when they are in their rooms. When you asked, I was happy to engage in conversation and make suggestions.

I honestly went out of my way to accommodate your needs and really tried to make your stay extra special. I promptly responded to each and every request you made. As just one example, on your last night, I offered and delivered tea service to your room.

Again, I am sincerely sorry that your stay here fell so far short of your expectations…

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights and enjoyed it so much that we plan to return in October. Our room (#2) was spacious, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom had a big shower. The breakfast each day was delicious, Jeff is a great cook! He had great recommendations for restaurants and wineries. We enjoyed our stay so much that we booked the guest house and Suite 2 for a family weekend in October.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ContrastQueen
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Black Rock Inn in June 2014. This is the first time either of us had stayed at a B&B. I have to say, it was a fantastic experience! Jeff, the proprietor, is as gracious a host as you can imagine. The room was very large, clean, bright, and well decorated. The bed was very comfortable. A large beautiful bathroom with double-shower heads and great water pressure. Our own thermostat to control our room temp was key and a nice ceiling fan to boot. We stayed in suite #2. Jeff had a delicious hot breakfast for us every morning at 9am, and upon returning from our day around 4:30 in the afternoon, the wine was flowing. Jeff was happy to share his amazing wine collection, cheeses, we had some great laughs around the table with him and the other couple that was staying there. I highly recommend Black Rock Inn to anyone looking to stay in Napa Valley and avoid the long drives from either Napa or Sonoma. Staying right there in St. Helena, on the Silverado Trail, was so nice and close to so many excellent vineyards and wineries, and Jeff set up a full day's itinerary for us for Saturday that included tastings at 4 private vineyards, each one getting more beautiful scenery-wise, and a huge and tasty box lunch from Dean & Deluca. He also gave us excellent dinner recommendations. He knows about all there is to know about Napa Valley, so he's very helpful with anything you need. Stay there and you will love it!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Jeff accomodated all 9 of us in the main house for a family outing in wine country. we had a group ranging in age from 21-80. the Breakfasts are outstanding, the rooms are perfect. Location is terrific.
You won't be sorry if you go!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sue C
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I've stayed at the Black Rock Inn with the gracious host, Jeff, 3 times now and I'll be back again!

The Inn is immaculate and perfectly situated in a secluded part of St. Helena. Jeff takes every step to make sure you are comfortable, but he does so without imposing on your space.

Breakfast is served at the group table every morning. It was something I was hesitant to at first, since I tend to prefer to eat with my immediate company, but Jeff does a great job of making everyone feel welcome.

Jeff's knowledge of Napa is unmatched. He has sent us to some of the best places in the Valley. His love of wine is evident in his collection, and he's always happy to share some of the amazing bottles he's collected over the years.

If you're planning a trip to Napa, don't think twice, book at the Black Rock Inn. It's a peaceful, friendly and memorable place to spend your time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JMergott
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My brother and I stayed at Black Rock Inn during my first trip to Napa in October, 2013. We were visiting during typical harvest time and had been advised to stay north of Napa to avoid harvest weekend traffic. After speaking with the owner, Jeff, by phone, we decided to try Black Rock Inn. Our experience was phenomenal in every dimension. The house and property are absolutely beautiful, the rooms are excellent, breakfast is outstanding, and Jeff is a fun, kind, and gracious host. At our request, Jeff also helped arrange our winery tours on Friday and Saturday and he helped us make dinner reservations as well. He sent us to wineries we had never heard of and the majority of them were phenomenal. The trip completely opened our eyes to new places and we ended up joining multiple mailing lists to get access to some special wines.

A big part of the enjoyment of Black Rock Inn is interacting with Jeff. He loves wine, knows a lot about it, and loves to talk about wine. He pours generously from his wine collection for his guests. We had a blast hanging out with him and the other guests in the late afternoons before dinner and also after dinner.

Located in St. Helena, Black Rock Inn is situated perfectly as a staging point for winery tours. Jeff set us up with an excellent car service, and we were never in the car for more than ~20 minutes between wineries.

Overall, I would highly recommend Black Rock Inn to any wine lover wanting to explore Napa or anyone looking for a quiet getaway. I plan to bring my wife there for an anniversary trip in 2015.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dustin M
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My fiancé and I stayed here with another couple to celebrate my birthday and our engagement. I have been to Napa three times and this is by far the nicest place I've stayed. Jeff had bottles of wine and a card ready to greet us and celebrate. The breakfast was phenomenal. The rooms and house are always clean and the grounds are gorgeous. It is very quiet and relaxing. Jeff was very helpful suggesting places to go to, food choices, and wines to drink. The place is remarkable, and looks like a postcard. We liked it so much, that we are hoping to plan our wedding in Napa just so we can return here soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2, and it was awesome. The room is huge, it has a nice bathroom and a very comfor...