“A Perfect Getaway”
Review of Black Rock Inn

Black Rock Inn
Ranked #1 of 12 St. Helena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed 4 nights and wished we had time to stay longer. The Inn is perfect for couples wanting to get away and reconnect with each other. Jeff and his staff were great hosts, always making sure we had everything we needed. Jeff suggested many wineries that are off the beaten track and all were fantastic. He helped with dinner reservations and transportation as well.

We found our place in Napa at the Black Rock Inn and are already making plans for our next visit.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Absolutely perfect. The innkeeper and owner, Jeff, is a knowledgeable and gracious host. The inn is immaculate and ideally nestled in the heart of St. Helena. Jeff is a skilled concierge and pays attention to details. We will definitely revisit this place and do not hesitate recommending this gem to our friends.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at the B&B and thoroughly enjoyed it. Jeff (owner) was fantastic. He provided us with the best suggestions for wineries and restaurants. His knowledge of the area was amazing. The room/B&B was clean, roomy and very well kept. The group breakfasts, which were a great way to meet and chat with the other guests, were fantastic! So delicious and filling. The location was great. This was our first B&B experience and it was really wonderful. I would not hesitate to stay there again or recommend it to friends.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This B&B was recommended by trusted Houston friends and the accommodations and service lived up to the hype. First, Jeff, the owner is very friendly and knows how to cater to a wide variety of travelers. He has a great sense of whether you want to chat or need downtime. He's super friendly and has lots of great insight to the region in terms of restaurants and wine tours. Every recommendation was spot-on. The Inn is also very well kept and spacious. The cell service is spotty (AT&T) but the free WiFi is super fast. The bathrooms and kitchen look brand new. Now the best part, Jeff is a wonderful cook. We enjoyed a group breakfast both mornings we were there and couldn't get enough of all the tasty coffee cake, scones, and hot dishes (eggs, potatoes, sausage). The Inn is located a little farther from the main areas we visited (St. Helena and Yountville) but the drive is easy (20 minutes). Calistoga is close and we really liked visiting the Calistoga Olive Oil store. Duckhorn is in walking distance but we didn't visit. Our favorite tastings were Tres Sabores, Cakebread and Grgich.

1  Thank Traviscounty
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Based on so many good reviews, I had anticipated a better experience. I booked the 3 nights hoping for a romantic, special occasion type stay for my husband's Birthday. We love staying at B&B's rather than hotels, and had high hopes for our visit. If you are looking for a Warm/Fuzzy romantic Inn that offers special touches and acknowledgement of special occasions for it's guests, this is not that type of place.
The Inn was spotless, and the breakfast was fresh and delicious. The hot part of the meal is served family style, more casual than most B&B's.
Location is very good, but if you like to take a walk, I'd recommend driving to a safer, less busy road to walk on with better visibility on the driver's part.
No cell phone reception (AT&T) on property, and there wasn't a land line for us to use when we needed to make an important call, and Jeff the sole innkeeper was not on the property at the time, so that was a really stressful experience for us. Wish we had known ahead of time.
Napa is such a special, romantic area, we were hoping for an Inn experience that matched that, and unfortunately were disappointed.

5  Thank WRbride
Jeff O, Owner at Black Rock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

First and foremost, I feel terrible that you had a disappointing experience.

I apologize if you were not aware that cell reception can be very spotty throughout the Napa Valley. AT&T service seems to come and go on my property but works pretty well in the front areas. On the evening you mentioned (the 2nd night you were here), I did go out for dinner but was here throughout the afternoon and early evening. Since you had stayed in your room, I thought you were resting before going out to dinner (I knew you had later dinner reservations).

A decent part of hospitality in Napa (and here at the Inn) revolves around wine. I am always here in the afternoon/evening time to share wine with guests as well as some light food. This wasn’t something you chose to partake of. It wasn’t until after you arrived that I realized neither of you drink wine.

I take great pride in having guests feel special and comfortable staying here. I try to read my guests and give them space and privacy. You both seemed to prefer staying in your room and I do not typically bother guests when they are in their rooms. When you asked, I was happy to engage in conversation and make suggestions.

I honestly went out of my way to accommodate your needs and really tried to make your stay extra special. I promptly responded to each and every request you made. As just one example, on your last night, I offered and delivered tea service to your room.

Again, I am sincerely sorry that your stay here fell so far short of your expectations…

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights and enjoyed it so much that we plan to return in October. Our room (#2) was spacious, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom had a big shower. The breakfast each day was delicious, Jeff is a great cook! He had great recommendations for restaurants and wineries. We enjoyed our stay so much that we booked the guest house and Suite 2 for a family weekend in October.

1  Thank ContrastQueen
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Black Rock Inn in June 2014. This is the first time either of us had stayed at a B&B. I have to say, it was a fantastic experience! Jeff, the proprietor, is as gracious a host as you can imagine. The room was very large, clean, bright, and well decorated. The bed was very comfortable. A large beautiful bathroom with double-shower heads and great water pressure. Our own thermostat to control our room temp was key and a nice ceiling fan to boot. We stayed in suite #2. Jeff had a delicious hot breakfast for us every morning at 9am, and upon returning from our day around 4:30 in the afternoon, the wine was flowing. Jeff was happy to share his amazing wine collection, cheeses, we had some great laughs around the table with him and the other couple that was staying there. I highly recommend Black Rock Inn to anyone looking to stay in Napa Valley and avoid the long drives from either Napa or Sonoma. Staying right there in St. Helena, on the Silverado Trail, was so nice and close to so many excellent vineyards and wineries, and Jeff set up a full day's itinerary for us for Saturday that included tastings at 4 private vineyards, each one getting more beautiful scenery-wise, and a huge and tasty box lunch from Dean & Deluca. He also gave us excellent dinner recommendations. He knows about all there is to know about Napa Valley, so he's very helpful with anything you need. Stay there and you will love it!