“Spring for Private tasting”

Joseph Phelps Vineyards
Ranked #9 of 114 things to do in St. Helena
Westport, Connecticut
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Spring for Private tasting”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

If you only can visit one winery, Phelps should be that one. A private tasting here is like taking a course in fine wines and getting to sample some of the best. You want big reds - check. crisp chards and Sav blans - check. Learn about wine temperature, color, so many little things. Have done this tour twice with Claude and Michael, both are amazing wine experts.

• Korean first
kc
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Beautiful views”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Lovely tasting outside on the terrace, overlooking the mountains and vineyards. Beautiful drive up through the vineyard. Wines were certainly above average but also pricey so we didn't end up purchasing. Insignia was quite hyped prior to the tasting but honestly I felt didn't live up to it -- but taste on your own and you can decide! Certainly still a solid wine.

Make an appointment. Tastings are at your own pace, wander through the terrace and barrel room, take pictures...really very pleasant. Great experience. We each got the $35 tasting, there's also one with additional wines including a Library edition of Insignia for $70.

I'd recommend!

Rock Hill, South Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“One of the best!”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I already knew I loved Insignia from Joseph Phelps. I joined the “Red Wine Only’ Program before starting the $70 per person tasting. Because the program allows for 4 complimentary tastings per visit, I saved my group $280. Everyone here was so kind and the winery is beautiful. We loved Insignia, the Pinot Noir, and surprisingly the Viognier. The lady helping us kindly gave our friends my wine club price for their purchases.

Visited April 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“The View is the Best Part”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

The view is the best part. What a beautiful view. The wine was good. We had the preferred tasting. Tasted two versions of the Insignia. They were definitely good. Would I pay over $200 a bottle for them? No. Other equivalents are much more inexpensive. We did love the 2010 Cabernet and bought two bottles. The tasting staff was ok. Skipped a wine by accident. Luckily we caught it. Would I come back again? No. Would I recommend it for others who have never been here? Yes - for the view.

San Mateo, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“good wines but pretentious service”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Our first tasting was good, maybe because they wanted us to be members. But since becoming a member, the last 2 experiences were awful. We find them to be very stingy with the pours despite having spent over $1000 each time. The man who poured for us knew that we bought wine yet refused to give additional pours of what we especially liked. Needless to say, our guests (who also made a purchase) were also extremely unhappy with their level of service.

We never thought that we'd ever leave Napa feeling bad. What is not to love about the wine country? However, the last two experiences at Joseph Phelps leaves us not wanting to return indefinitely. Since it is plausible that we caught them on 2 off occasions, I wrote to their Director of Customer Service. That experience was troubling because he didn't respond until I sent my thoughts to him and his colleagues a second time. I am a big believer in not complaining unless I am willing to help with a solution. I tried and they avoided my correspondence until they realized I wasn't going to be "one and done". I hope what I experienced won't happen to anyone else.

Visited September 2013