“Splendid scenery and Insignia wine”

Joseph Phelps Vineyards
Ranked #9 of 116 things to do in St. Helena
Olathe, Kansas, United States
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Splendid scenery and Insignia wine”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I figured the only time I would get to sample Insignia wine was at a tasting at the vineyard so we signed up for the terrace tasting. The experience was awesome. The tasting takes place on a terrace where you have time to soak up the scenery while you sample awesome wine. Although not a lover of white wine, the Sav Blanc was excellent. And, the Insignia was as delicious as I had hoped it would be. I would definitely recommend the terrace tasting to anyone wanting to enjoy Napa Valley scenery and great wine.

Visited November 2013

• Korean first
Brielle, New Jersey
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Terrace Tasting”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

What a great setting to taste some really nice wines on my 57th birthday! Obviously, besides being outside, not the typical tasting room experience: a little bar outside, lots of room (seats and benches) to sit, relax, enjoy the view, and sample. Almost a little too relaxing for me as I forgot I had another vineyard to visit.

While I didn't purchase any wine because I can get it at home, Joseph Phelps is one of those vineyards I'd definitely visit again, but will set aside more time to enjoy the view and mellow nature of the tasting.

Perth, Australia
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Insignia baby”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We booked a private tasting, which was well worth it. The view is truly amazing and has to be seen. The insignia is an absolute treat, and we bought a cheeky bottle for the road

Visited June 2013
Westport, Connecticut
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Spring for Private tasting”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

If you only can visit one winery, Phelps should be that one. A private tasting here is like taking a course in fine wines and getting to sample some of the best. You want big reds - check. crisp chards and Sav blans - check. Learn about wine temperature, color, so many little things. Have done this tour twice with Claude and Michael, both are amazing wine experts.

kc
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Beautiful views”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Lovely tasting outside on the terrace, overlooking the mountains and vineyards. Beautiful drive up through the vineyard. Wines were certainly above average but also pricey so we didn't end up purchasing. Insignia was quite hyped prior to the tasting but honestly I felt didn't live up to it -- but taste on your own and you can decide! Certainly still a solid wine.

Make an appointment. Tastings are at your own pace, wander through the terrace and barrel room, take pictures...really very pleasant. Great experience. We each got the $35 tasting, there's also one with additional wines including a Library edition of Insignia for $70.

I'd recommend!