“Great tasting, wonderful staff.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 113 things to do in St. Helena
Slingerlands, New York
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 268 helpful votes
“Great tasting, wonderful staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Like many others, we had a private tasting. We tried insignia, yes, but also a lot of other surprising wines such as the Quarter Moon Pinot Noir. We were able to taste single block Cabernets, do our own blend, and taste how blending improves the taste.

Like all tastings, know what you are signing up for (and paying for) so there are no surprises. We belong to their club, and if you do, you will get a more extensive tasting.

I must give huge thanks to Carly, who did the tasting with us. She was expert in wine, with no pretentiousness. We felt like we were with a friend. Cannot overstate how much better she made the day, almost as much as the view!

Every winery has an amazing view, but this is among the best.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Rhapsodyinblue

• Korean first
Olathe, Kansas, United States
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Splendid scenery and Insignia wine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I figured the only time I would get to sample Insignia wine was at a tasting at the vineyard so we signed up for the terrace tasting. The experience was awesome. The tasting takes place on a terrace where you have time to soak up the scenery while you sample awesome wine. Although not a lover of white wine, the Sav Blanc was excellent. And, the Insignia was as delicious as I had hoped it would be. I would definitely recommend the terrace tasting to anyone wanting to enjoy Napa Valley scenery and great wine.

Visited November 2013
Brielle, New Jersey
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Terrace Tasting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

What a great setting to taste some really nice wines on my 57th birthday! Obviously, besides being outside, not the typical tasting room experience: a little bar outside, lots of room (seats and benches) to sit, relax, enjoy the view, and sample. Almost a little too relaxing for me as I forgot I had another vineyard to visit.

While I didn't purchase any wine because I can get it at home, Joseph Phelps is one of those vineyards I'd definitely visit again, but will set aside more time to enjoy the view and mellow nature of the tasting.

Visited October 2013
Perth, Australia
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Insignia baby”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

We booked a private tasting, which was well worth it. The view is truly amazing and has to be seen. The insignia is an absolute treat, and we bought a cheeky bottle for the road

Visited June 2013
Westport, Connecticut
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Spring for Private tasting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

If you only can visit one winery, Phelps should be that one. A private tasting here is like taking a course in fine wines and getting to sample some of the best. You want big reds - check. crisp chards and Sav blans - check. Learn about wine temperature, color, so many little things. Have done this tour twice with Claude and Michael, both are amazing wine experts.

Visited October 2013