“An experience”

Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Silverado Trail
Description: Fine dining and casually elegant setting
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Nice ambiance . Delicious food ... but So pretentious .
One dish was even served on pages of " A la Recherche du temps Perdu " !
Every plate comes with an elaborate and often convoluted explanation . Even the goat cheese requires a long description . It's goat cheese !!!
If only the brilliant chef could think that " Less is more "

1  Thank rmklondon

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I try to sit through a meal without playing on my cell phone. I really do. However, it was hard to not reach for it and send out an "OMG" text as the food began arriving for our recent dinner here at Meadowood.

Beginning with the four rounds of amuse bouche that the kitchen sent out and continuing on through one of the best meals I've ever had, there was never a stumble, a misstep, or an error in the food, the service, or the presentation.

We had dined at the French Laundry a few days prior, and were eager to compare. (For reference, Meadowood is my fifth 3-star Guide Michelin restaurant in the last three years.) The food here blew it away.

The portions are small as some have noted, but they're more than adequate to fill up a normal sized person without leaving you overstuff and needing to be wheeled out the door. The selections of local and regional ingredients were amazing paired with masterful wine choices.

The highlight for me was a grilled eel dish, which came on a slice of used wine-barrel stave. The stave had been used to smoke the eel, then it was topped with a little bit of sous vide wagyu beef tongue on top. The whole thing melted in my mouth and the artful play on Japanese classics translated with a Napa perspective brings out the best of what this place has to offer.

It's hard to discount the other great dishes - black cod in acorn flour dust, salt-crust baked local rutabaga with shaved white truffles (last of the season from Italy!), "duck tea" - a consumme with local spices, or the duck itself - flavorful, tender, and melting in my mouth.

As noted, I've been to other three-star restaurants. I try to do a minimum of one per year as part of my travel plans. All are impeccable in service, technique, and ingredients, but the creativity and chef's journey through the menu and the seasons here is second to none. I intend to make this restaurant part of my annual Napa visit each and every time.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Expensive, but worth the food, wine, and very pleasant service. The artisan cheese with lavender honey are not to be missed.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

We booked a month ahead and had dinner here with family on Napa day trip. The service at this restaurant is truly remarkable. The attentiveness of the doorman to the waiters were amazing. The waiters were so well synchronized in setting up and removing plates that it was not unlike a performance with every degustation course. Previous reviews highlighted service, and this is an example of service we have not seen anything close to in well regarded restaurants in Australia.

Some reviews have suggested that the quantity of the food was an issue, but it was perfect for us. I do agree with other reviewers in suggesting that the food itself wasn't worthy of the 3 star Michelin star rating given to the Restaurant. The composition of the dishes were unquestionably complex and rare, but some courses were missing the 'wow' taste. On food alone I would rate this as 4-5 stars, but the service is 6 stars, with the total experience is still amazing.

We were kindly invited to the kitchen were we were briefed on the background operations creating our meals and met chef Kostow. There's possibly more chefs and waiters than guests. This tour added a lot of value to understanding the effort involved in each course, including a conductor that times each course. Politely ask for this tour if not offered.

1  Thank agent_bx
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

I went to this wonderful restaurant for my birthday in late November. The whole experience was top shelf. The food was creative and delicious, the service was impeccable. I loved the birthday surprise at the end of the meal. The restaurant itself was gorgeous inside and at the end of our meal we took a tour of the kitchen which was very fun. I loved seeing the behind the scenes process. One of my best dining experience to date. I have eaten at many of the top restaurants in the world, and anyone who complains about this place needs a reality check, it's outstanding. Highly recommended.