“Best Restaurant Experience”
Review of PRESS St. Helena

PRESS St. Helena
Reserve with OpenTable
PRESS St. Helena is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 52 Restaurants in St. Helena
Price range: US$40 - US$60
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Inglewood
Description: PRESS is the perfect wine country dining experience. PRESS features prime dry-aged beef, whole roasted chicken, and wild fish prepared on a custom wood burning grill and rotisserie. The modern farmhouse style blends with the neighboring vineyards to create a truly modern steakhouse. An award winning largely Napa Valley wine list completes the PRESS experience.
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Enjoyed Press for lunch twice while visiting the area. The food was wonderful and service outstanding. Very pretty view from restaurant. Conversation friendly atmosphere.
I would return to Press on my next visit to the area.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Great staff, great service. Interesting options from both the bar and the kitchen. High quality meats prepared with excellence! Fun and lively atmosphere! We had a great night.

1  Thank Msk6261
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My brother and I visited St. Helena in October, 2013 for a few days of winery touring. We arrived Thursday afternoon (October 3) and ate at Press for dinner Thursday night. The food was exceptional--I had steak tartare to start followed by rare filet, which was prepared perfectly. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable but not pushy. The wine service was also exceptional. We asked for some guidance on the massive wine list and our server helped us narrow things down until we ultimately choose a Farella Park 1999 Cabernet (very limited production). The wine drank superbly and had clearly been handled and aged with care. For dessert, I had a glass of Dow 1977 port, which was also excellent. We stayed three nights in Napa and this was the best dinner experience we had. The restaurant is quite expensive, but in my opinion the food and service largely lived up to the price, thus the rating of "very good" as opposed to "average".

Reviewed 9 April 2014

While I usually dine at the bar no matter where I go, I ReaLLy wanted the bacon sampler at PRESS and my understanding is that it's a bar only item. Still really like the idea of the bacon sampler, I think it's a little on the pricey side, but the presentation is simply awful. The 7 strips of bacon from 6 different (2 are from CA) states arrive on a rack resting on an aluminum pan. The chopped salad was tasty, I would have enjoyed a more extensive wine by the glass menu, and my steak frites with chimichurri (which was simply awesome) was good.

With so many restaurants in the area, I'll not return to PRESS.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I have eaten at Press several times including twice in the past 6 months. This time we ate in the bar which is first come first served but if you want to eat in the restaurant you absolutely need a reservation. (especially on the weekend)

The steaks are certainly the star of the menu and I would recommend the Wagyu especially the flatiron which is not as expensive as other choices. The steaks are a la carte and the sides are extra. I have had most all of the sides and they are all good but the brussel sprouts (when in season) are the best!

One other item not to be missed are the oysters. I rarely order oysters but these are the most fresh and delicious oysters I have ever had and the presentation with the horseradish sorbet is unique and tasty.

Lastly the sommelier could not have been better. There are many expensive bottles of wine on the list including "trophy" wines but I told the sommelier what I liked and was looking to spend and he helped me find a great wine. He did not try to upsell me or convince me to spend more than I wanted and never acted like a "wine snob". If you want to order wine, I recommend you speak with him even if you know what you want. He knows so much about Napa and the wines of the area that you will learn something new from him no doubt.

In the end this is a great restaurant in St Helena and is only open for dinner. As others have mentioned this is a pricey place but well worth it to splurge.