“Everything I Expected”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Broomfield, Colorado
“Everything I Expected”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

If you wanted a secluded resort in the woods for your Napa vacation, this is the place. It is definitely not cheap. The prices on their web site are eye watering. However, better deals are available if you search a little. Secluded bungalows, a 9 hole golf course, hiking, pools, tennis .. you could spend a week here and forget all your worries. The service was impeccable, the food wonderful, the accommodations outstanding, and the location truly picturesque. It was a perfect romantic get away. 5 Star in every way.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
MeadowoodResort, General Manager at Meadowood Napa Valley, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Greg, I don't know where to start as you seem to have made your way through the entire property during your stay! We know there are many wonderful things to do in the Napa Valley and we're happy to assist our guests with itineraries full of off-site tours, tastings and meals. That said, we're probably happiest when our guests find so many fun, relaxing, restorative, romantic and delicious experiences on the estate they don't want to leave! Now that you know how much there is to enjoy at Meadowood I hope you will return whenever you feel like rekindling the memories of your first stay. We may even be able to show you something new! Alex Kim, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I took my 5 year old granddaughter for a birthday and get away from the city. It was wonderful. Food was excellent. Huge adult and children's pools. We didn't have time to play tennis, but there were great courts. We loved the location and wooded areas. I was disappointed there were no children's programs. The one scheduled was cancelled. Che made friends swimming so it was fine. All staff was very friendly We would walk to the pool and requested a rude back. They were very prompt

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hello and thank you for posting about your birthday getaway! I'm so glad we were able to create a special time for you and your granddaughter. Our pools are a great setting both for relaxation and meeting new friends. And, I think the members of our bell staff consider it a treat to give children rides around the property. I don't know what it is, but nothing seems to make kids smile more than house-made milkshakes and riding in golf carts. Please return to us when you're able. We'll look forward to welcoming you back! Alex Kim, General Manager
Monterey Bay, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was taken to Meadowood by my mom and sister for my 50th birthday. In conversation, I knew my mom was paying over 1k per night for this place, and they said I'd be spooning with my mom in a king and my sister would be on a pull-out couch. First off, I thought they were joking and secondly, I thought they were ridiculous for spending that amount of money. We weren't on our honeymoon!

When we were taken to our room, we opened the door and saw it was an ADA room.....3 woman, one sink and NO luxury. I'm not sure what transpired after the bell man made a call to the front desk to request our desire for a room change, but I believe my mom had to pay at least $250 more to get out of the ADA room. Not the way to start my birthday celebration and I felt awful for any added expense. Our second room had no privacy. All the windows and the front porch were on the main road. Any guest coming or going from their room, car, maintenance worker etc would have a disturbing view if they cared to look. I've stayed at some incredible places in my life and for the price point and room amenities, Meadowood would rate at the bottom of the list. The room itself was nothing special.....nice, but not wow.

On the first night, we ate at the Grill. Like another reviewer said, there are a multitude of fantastic restaurants in the valley, so dining here was just a convenient option for us. Two out of the 3 of us enjoyed our meal. My sister had a dried piece of Mary's chicken for $26. My mom and I had the salmon which was delicious and priced the same as chicken. We also ate at the Grill for breakfast on our last day and it was shamefully expensive. i believe my mom had a small bowl of yogurt and berries for $19. I think my side of 2 fried eggs and wheat toast was the same.

We had played croquet here in the past and it was a blast, so we took another lesson and played again. The instructor was great and I'd say the croquet was the highlight of our stay. It only ended on a weird note as my mom was billed $75/pp and had been quoted $60/pp when booking the lesson. The instructor was nice and reduced the fee and when she got home and looked at her paperwork, she had a memo from Meadowood quoting the $60 price.

I do think the people that work at Meadowood will do anything to make your stay more enjoyable. They are service professionals and it shows in their attitudes and work ethic. I think the people who work there are really what make the place special.

Which brings me to my last concern which I can't do anything about because my mom handled the reservation. I see on some of these reviews that a 20% service charge is added to the bill. If this is true, I can guarantee you my mom knew nothing about this, so we tipped everyone like this charge didn't exist, so they doubled down. When my mom left reception after paying the bill, she looked shocked and made a comment about learning the hard way.

I guess in summary.....ridiculously priced for quality of room. Property is beautiful, but all of Napa Valley is beautiful so you can stay anywhere.

Side note: As the families travel planner, I was not involved in planning this trip because it was a birthday surprise. I did get myself involved in one event and my mom planned another which were both wonderful and highly suggest doing. As a foodie and since I love to cook, my mom made reservations at the CIA (Greystone) for lunch. We sat on the patio overlooking the grapes and it was the best meal we had in the valley. I planned a tour of the olive mill at Round Pond which included a tasting of all their products. It was above and beyond what I even imagined and completely worth it for the price. I will never look at EVO the same now!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CocoMaKai
MeadowoodResort, General Manager at Meadowood Napa Valley, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
I am genuinely disappointed to hear how little you enjoyed your stay. How unsettling it must have been for your mother to know she had invested her time and resources in planning a special 50th birthday celebration for you that you did not enjoy. It sounds like in making the plans she felt the price was something she was willing to pay to create a happy experience for you. However, I understand you did not see the value in what was offered. I regret the croquet billing error and I'm glad it was resolved to your satisfaction. The 20% gratuity is added only to in-room dining charges and dining charges around the swimming pools.We do not add gratuity to any other services on the property nor do we charge a resort fee to cover gratuities. I appreciate your thoughtful remarks about our staff's level of hospitality and work ethic. They're a wonderful team and are committed each and every day to responding to our guests' needs and creating a special environment. We believe people are the most important equation in any memorable experience. Sincerely, Alex Kim, General Manager
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Given the hype about this property, my wife and I were somewhat disappointed. The staff was less than friendly, but the food was very good. The "rooms" were very spread out and getting from one place to another was cumbersome, especially in the reainy weather. Nevertheless, the location is great is you are traveling around to visit thelocal winerys.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
I'm glad you brought your thoughts about your stay to my attention. I will grant you that our property is vast. The private valley in which we're settled is 250 acres. For many this is a significant benefit as it affords our guests a great deal of privacy and time surrounded by nature. I realize, however, that our estate-style setting may not be the perfect choice for everyone. I am sorry you felt our staff members were less than friendly as the level of our service is something we receive very positive comments about on a regular basis. I would be grateful to learn of the specifics of how we fell short in this area during your stay. Please do call me at 707-967-1235 at your convenience so I may speak with you personally about this. Kind regards, Alex Kim, General Manager
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 22 May 2014

First time to Napa, we were looking for a place where we could enjoy Napa and relax. On the plane a woman recommended Meadwood. Well, Meadowood was exactly that. A beautiful spa resort tucked quietly in the woods in St. Helena, CA.
Celebrating a special birthday for my wife, we enjoyed a beautiful room overlooking the croquet court. With temperatures in the 90's, unusual in May, we enjoyed relaxing at the pool. It was heavenly. We had a few problems with our room, but they were quickly resolved by Daniel Hauck, General Manager. In honor of the special birthday for my wife a bottle from Gamble Winery was in our room to celebrate the occasion. Joel Holland, Director of Rooms, made sure everything was perfect for our stay. Would definitely recommend this resort for anyone who is looking for exceptional service and a respite from the world. Come to Meadowood.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Shayne, I'm so glad you're one of those travelers who likes to engage in conversation in-flight! The Croquet Lodge is a signature location at Meadowood with views of the croquet lawns, fairways and wooded hillsides. There are several room types in this lodge and it sounds as if we found just the right fit for you. I will pass along your kind words to Daniel and Joel. Whether for another special occasion or just for a bit of relaxation in a special setting I hope you will return to us soon and often. Alex Kim, General Manager
Sausalito, California
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The setting is delightful, but the design and operation of the facility are not. The junior suite in which we stayed had little privacy. Any service people coming to the suite looked directly into the bedroom window. Similarly walking up to our room the path led close by the bathroom window of another room where we observed a woman preparing herself for the day. I expect privacy at this level of accommodation.

It is a large property which requires considerable maintenance and the maintenance noise distracts from the otherwise pleasant environment. Memberships to the pool / gym etc are sold to the general public so these areas are much more heavily used than were it just hotel guests. I did not expect to listen, while sitting on the deck of my suite, to an afternoon of screaming children at the swimming pool when I booked my reservation.

We've stayed at both the Four Seasons Bora Bora and twice at the Post Ranch Inn during the last two years, both of which are in the same price range and both are a much better value and experience. Also annoying for a room in this price range is the "nickel and dime" charges for minor amenities. $7 for two Fig Newtons, $12 for a small tin of jelly beans and a $7 service fee to deliver room service food, in addition to a mandatory 20% service charge? At Post Ranch the amenities, including a couple of splits of wine are gratis, included with the room.

You can dine at the restaurant without being a guest, there is no reason to pay these rates when you can get a better experience for substantially less at nearby hotels.

2 Thank Boatguy54
I am disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the level of privacy of your guest room and that you were disturbed by noise. We are absolutely a country destination and you are correct that there is a fair amount of work that goes into maintaining the estate. That said, we rarely hear that we have caused a disturbance to our guests so I apologize this was your experience. In terms of the privacy of our guest rooms, we have a vast collection of guest room types and locations. We do welcome families to Meadowood and many of them enjoy being in the vicinity of the pool for convenience. I am absolutely certain had we spoken to you more carefully prior to your arrival we would have been able to find the perfect guest room style and setting for you. I would like the opportunity to regain your confidence. If you will do me the favor of reaching out to me directly, I will be most appreciative. Alex Kim, General Manager 707-967-1235
Fullerton, California
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is our second stay and we stayed 5 nights. We stayed with a group of 5 or 6 couples for a corporate event, and it was universally agreed that the resort is perfect. It is gorgeous, full of trees, endless views, a golf course, lovely restaurants, and lots of wildlife like deer, wild turkeys, frogs, swans, etc... The rooms are top notch, with private patios to enjoy the scenery, very comfortable beds, spacious living rooms, lots of windows to look over the golf course, and special goodies like taffy at turn down service. The staff is very attentive and the service is excellent. The massage from Widadi and the facial with Summer was first class spa treatment. This is a great place to relax and just forget about the rest of the world.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you kindly, Cindy, for taking the time to share this feedback on your stay! I'm always delighted when guests are with us long enough to experience so many aspects of our property. In fact, one of the most common comments I hear from first-time guests is, "If I'd known how much there was to do at Meadowood I would have reserved a longer stay!" It is heartening to know you enjoyed the beautiful setting, broad array of activities and amenities and the exceptional care of our staff. I will pass along your positive comments to our staff members in the Spa specifically. I hope you will return again soon. Alex Kim, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Helena
#4 of 30 in Napa
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#6 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Meadowood Napa Valley? Share your experiences!