“Great atmosphere and price but not great food”
Review of Perko's Cafe

Perko's Cafe
Ranked #2 of 17 Restaurants in Salida
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Great atmosphere and price but not great food”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Ate here while on business in Modesto. I enjoyed the old county dinner feel to the place and the servers played the part well. Very friendly service and really good prices. I ordered the steak and bake special which was ok, but the steak was over cooked. They have an open style kitchen, which I always like, but I could see that the cooking staff were either new or something, as they kept messing up orders. All in all though I would go back for the nice relaxing atmosphere.

1 Thank Nomolos

Salida, California
“Hometown diner”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Friendly staff, great food, good prices: 20% senior discount any day & early bird breakfast before 8 am for less than $5. Just a comfortable neighborhood restaurant.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Debbie B
high springs fl
“slow service”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This little place is cozy, family oriented and friendly. The only sad part is the service is very slow and poor- They leave one waiting minutes at the table- The customer had to head down the waitress and tel her about taking the order I guess like various places they have their favorite customers, which they indeed catered to in a rapid response- since I had to get up twice and ask for a refil. I did notice hand washing was not their speciality- which I found to be less attractive.I wiped the drinking glass myself- asking for a straw to drink it.I had to ask for the bill- there was a 10 percent discount- which was okay but confusing as to I ordered a dessert also- Mgt? stated it is on everything eaten- I gave the waitress a lg bill- she brought back lg bill neglecting to give me some ones which I asked for. I left her a tip- though she knew what she was doing- since the last person whom had walked out she did not chg for something and was not left a tip. Food was advantage-service very slow and not very attentive to certain customers and then having to get up or call to someone else not the one serving the table to get service and then the tipping business. I left this person more than I wanted to, but was woren out chasing her down for service. Mgt sat at the counter and did not lift a finger to help or assist the customers- seems she was counting money the whole time- with exception when questioned about the discount.. I do not believe I would frequent this place again for lack of service and the intentional way of getting more for poor service by ignoring requests of clients-and catering to special clients of choice,

Visited August 2013
Napa, California
“Clean bathrooms and considerate service!”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We walked into Perko's at 1:15PM, just as one of the hostesses was leaving after her shift. She saw us come in, saw there was no one to greet or seat us, and kindly put down her things and graciously and cheerfully welcomed us to Perko's. In a time when too often employees are only too happy to skip service even during their shifts, her genuine welcome was top rate. The next pleasant surprise was how sparkling clean the bathrooms were. Glass was smudge free throughout the restaurant, and the food was as described in the menu. Nothing fancy, but clean and friendly. We will stop again.

• Visited June 2013
Pahokee, Florida
“Microwave Special!”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I never visited a Perko's before until my visit to this particular restaurant. There service was nice enough, but my expectations of food quality were lowered as soon as I saw the microwave behind the sit-down counter.

The menu was odd. The server opened up a huge "newsletter-style" menu made out of thin paper...whatever, I was hungry. I ordered the Turkey Dinner "with all the fixins." Where I'm from, "all the fixins" includes stuffing. I was surprised to see that "all the fixins" was a vegetable medley, and no stuffing.

I ordered "togo", and when I opened up my Styrofoam platter, I was greeted with gravy. I literally couldn't see the turkey, it was covered in gravy. The gravy was two-toned, some light-brown gravy with some dark-brown gravy swirled in as if the gravy had been sitting in a container, separating for quite some time.

When I did find the turkey under the bi-colored gravy, I discovered that it appeared to be sliced thin, delicatessen-style. The bottom of each thin slice was burnt, so I can only imagine that they put it on the grill to warm it up.

The only tasty food I had on my meal was the salad and the reason for that was they put grated cheese on a house salad, which I didn't expect.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Mike M

Been to Perko's Cafe? Share your experiences!