“Decent Hotel, Clean with friendly front desk staff”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Salinas
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Salinas
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We decided at the last minute to head to Monterey and because it was a holiday weekend, our choices were rather limited. I ended up finding this hotel in Salinas and decided to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised. I booked a King Suite, knowing it had a pull-out sofa bed. I thought our 2 children would be able to sleep in this, while Dad and I took the king bed. Turns out, the sofa bed is a single pull-out bed. Not a big deal, our 10 year old just slept with us in the King but in hindsight, a double bed room (not a suite) would have provided a better sleeping option for us. That will teach me to decide last minute to take a trip.

Room appeared to be practically new and/or recently remodeled. Room smelled clean, new carpet, newly painted. Bathrooms were clean. Room had a fridge, microwave, iron, coffee, etc. DirecTV in the room, which was.

Pool was not that great, it's inside, which is nice but it was very stuffy in the pool-house. My son and I got in the spa and decided to not stay, as it had a pretty yucky "film" of "stuff", probably body oils, etc from other people that sort of started to bubble up once we turned on the jacuzzi. We are in the pool business (construction) so my husband teased me saying it wasn't going to kill us, but it still wasn't very appealing.

A complimentary breakfast was served each morning, which was a nice added benefit for the room, saving us probably $40 a day and tiding us over until we had a nice lunch elsewhere on our travels. Standard fare, better than continental for sure. A pancake maker, and I actually enjoyed the biscuits and gravy they had the first day along with sausage. The second day, they had biscuits but no gravy, just eggs (and pancakes.) Still, no complaints. Coffee was also good, with nice options for creamer and I enjoyed the guava juice they had along with the orange juice and apple juice.

A no frills hotel that really actually makes you feel like it's a nicer hotel than it is. I was pleasantly surprised. If we couldn't find a place closer to the beach, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room faced a field, so there was a tractor running the last day where were there. Not a big deal...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Hotel had that clean smell from the moment we walked in. Staff was very helpful. Our room was perfect and also was clean. Very spacious including a desk, couch 2 queen beds, fridge and microwave. Breakfast was very good and the coffee was delicious. On the bad side: was our tub didn't drain too fast and street area seem very shady but I felt safe in hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Stayed here for business arrived late afternoon on May 21 and the front desk clerk was simply rude, no wonder he didn't have a name tag on, he was condescending when I asked the simple question of where I should park (front or back), and when I advised that the room was already paid, he simply said nothing. To pay me back he put me in the back room closest to the freeway, while my two colleagues were given inside facing rooms. The upside is that you cannot hear the freeway at all. The morning folks were very helpful. The rooms are good sized, beds comfortable, t.v. had all the channels and it was VERY quiet. It also had a fridge and microwave. The bathrooms are dated but they had all the neccesities and a coffeemaker. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Salinas, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Dear FamilyontheMove_12,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Dear Sir/Madam:

We recently had the pleasure to stay at your property in Salinas, CA -4/3/13. Upon arrival in the later evening Paul did a wonderful job of checking us in and presented us with an upgrade to a suite, for we are a Platinum member.

My wife found the suite so very comfortable giving her peace and quiet while I worked in the other room on late evening emails.

The breakfast the next day was just divine and again my wife complimented the exercise room and the pool as being top notch. It was a great stay. Anil at the desk allowed us a later check out as we prepared to leave a bit later in the morning.

The staff, the hotel, and the quality of the visit are to be congratulated.

Please pass along my thank you.

Warm regards,

Louis W. Piper, Jr.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank LouP672
hiesalinas, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Salinas, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

I'm so glad to hear you had a great stay with us. It's our goal to make sure all of our guests have an amazing stay, especially our Platinum Members. We're happy to know the complimentary upgrade along with the later check-out made your stay even better. Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed 6 April 2013

Friendly staff. I've been back & forth to this hotel for some time now. I've yet to encounter poor customer service. Hopefully not in the near future. Hotel appears to be well maintained. Breakfast is ok, has decent selection. Keep up the good work Holiday Inn Express!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

We hope you never receive poor customer service either ;) We'll definitely try and keep up the good work and I'm positive we'll get five stars out of you during your next stay! Thanks again for the positive remarks.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Stayed at the HIE Salinas and was quite pleased. Hotel seems newer and well kept. Front desk assoc on duty the night of 3/2 was very efficient, pleasant, thorough and happy. The associate in the breakfast room the morning of 3/3 was also very efficient and was always smiling. Room had very nice and modern decor, bathroom was a good size. Appreciated that there was a small refrigerator in the room. Beds were comfy. the only downside is that the A/C was loud . Would definitely come back and recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Great hotel - clean, good free basic breakfast, comfortable rooms. Not really in a neighborhood where you don't have to drive to go out, but never felt unsafe. Nice finishes in rooms and bed was very comfortable. Cleanliness of room was exemplary. The hotel itself is great.

• Stayed: February 2013