“ROOMS ARE CLEAN” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Salinas
Cincinnati, Ohio
“ROOMS ARE CLEAN”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

We stayed here for one night with our 2 teenage kids. The room was clean and the kids slept on the pull out sofa bed which was comfortable. It was a smaller room but the price was cheap and it worked for us, since traveling with kids can be expensive!!

I am a Platinum member and travel abroad. The Residence Inn always serves a fresh breakfast you can't beat and don't have to pay extra.

The front desk personnel were nice!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Sunnyvale, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

If you have already been to a typical Residence Inn, you will probably know what to expected, as their properties tend to be pretty standard. How does this property compare to other RIs? I would say it is all right, but I was not wowed. Still, you have to give a good rate for being clean, having the right amount of space and a full kitchen, in addition to amenities like an indoor pool (can be cold in Salinas, we went in February), and a very good full breakfast, with my all favorite chocolate muffin!

We had no issues in the hotel, and the two minus would be the broken hot tub (I really needed after a day hiking at Pinnacles) and the towels that never came after asking front desk twice.

The location is quite convenient. It is close to the freeway, near a mall with a bunch of chain restaurants and stores. I didn't find the area iffy or unsafe, although there is not much to talk about it either.

So would I stay here again. Well, I think this was the most adequate choice for our family. It is a Residence Inn, relatively well rated in TA, where you can find good deals by booking directly from their site. It was slightly more expensive that the highly rated Holiday Inn Salinas, but with a full studio and a better location. However, a better question would be if we would actually stay in Salinas. Maybe, but Salinas does not have much of a vibe, and Monterey is not too far away (although a bit more expensive, but I think it is worth it). Still, it is not a bad alternative when all hotels in Monterey were booked, like it was the case when we were there, during the President's day holiday.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

I have an assignment in the area to provide contract work for a cancer center in Salinas for 10 weeks. I stayed with the Residence Inn in Salinas. I will never forget Stacie's smile when she greeted me at the reception desk. I had the best room in the hotel and she make sure that I had everything that I needed including making a meal to make me feel at home. She also guided me about the places to visit around Salinas like Monterey because she is born and raised in the area. Every day I was greeted with a smile from the staff who asked me if I have everything that I need. Breakfast was excellent with a lot of fruits and healthy foods like cereals. They also have evening social every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday where the guests get together and share a hamburger or salad. The ambiance is very friendly and relaxing. The housekeepers kept my room very clean and asked me if there is anything else they can do for me. Despite my time away from home (I live in Tucson, Arizona), I never miss home because of the extra-attention that I get from the staff which make me feel like a member of their family. I will come back here and would recommend the Marriott Residence Inn to anybody who go for business or vacation in the Salinas area. The whole staff in the hotel is exceptional.

Nam Nguyen M.D.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Trabuco Canyon, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

Overall the experience was ok. I have stayed in better Residence Inns. When we arrived things were clean and the front desk girl addressed us courteously but without a smile. We then went upstairs to our room and everything was clean and appeared to be fine. That night when we were winding down the upstairs neighbor came in and was really noisy and sounded like they were going to come in through the ceiling. They quit about 11 that night. Thank goodness. The breakfast was ok and standard but that morning we found that the toilet has plumbing issues but the staff helped to clear it up. But overall everything was ok.

Room Tip: Make sure to book the top floor so you don't hear the people above pouncing around. Plus, please...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
San Pablo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

Matt, Lucy, and Cynthia all went above and beyond to see that all my needs were met. I had a special need for a conference phone and Matt didn't quit until he found one for me (ended up he actually borrowed one from the front desk!).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Columbus, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Staff was great. Hotel was clean in rooms and lobby. Saturday morning breakfast was good but could have used a few more healthy alternatives (only watermelon for fruit for example). Close to 101 and shopping just down the street with several restaurants nearby as well.

Now the bad: The mattress in our room was in need of replacing - my wife and I both commented on that the next morning. The jacuzzi must have been under repair so could not use. The pool could have been cleaner. There was an earring and its backing on the side cement that looked like it had been there a while because it was rusted although I suppose some kid could have fished it out from the bottom of the pool. The pool itself had many long hair floating in it and a hair tie was floating in the bottom of the pool as well.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DJCarlsen, General Manager at Residence Inn Salinas Monterey, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Thank you for providing us with feedback from your stay. I am sorry to hear that we fell below your expectations. If there is anything further you wish to discuss, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Stockton, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

The one bedroom suit was definitely made for 2. There were 2 spoons, 2 plates, 2 cups, etc. except for towels and there were double the issue. Complementary coffee, tea, popcorn. They needed to have complementary drinking water; the tap water made us gag.
The staff was very helpful and checking to see if there is anything they can do to make your stay more enjoyable. Free internet access was a plus.
They have social nights, but we were not there on the correct night. The day of the week seems to change so contact the hotel directly for information.

Room Tip: Park in the back. Less distance to travel with bags.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and found our employees to be friendly and accommodating. Thank you for sharing your experience, and we hope to see you again soon here in Monterey.