“Absolutely Fantastic!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Mission Viejo, California
“Absolutely Fantastic!”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I was worried that I would not be getting my money's worth, but I honestly could have paid so much more money for this sort of experience! We loved every moment of our stay. We were in the honeymoon suite for 2 nights. We also did the VIP tour, Pachyderm Package, Crunch time and Bed time. I am still so unbelievably thankful that we had this opportunity. I cannot wait to go back again in the future! You get lots of hands on access and a caring staff. The tent was even more spacious than any hotel I have ever stayed in, and the earlier activities left us with plenty of room in our schedule to still go explore Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel and Big Sur. Thank you so much VisionQuest! We hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: Look during the week and in the winter season! The honeymoon suite was actually cheaper for us than...
Green Features: They are very environmentally conscious, and I encourage you to read the notes around the room on how you can contribute!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KelleyMoody

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
SFBAY
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We loved our time at Vision Quest Ranch. I thought about writing a review on tripadvisor but a selfish bug made me resist the urge.We loved every minute of our stay. The tent/cabin was just fine. It was cool outside but the heater and bedding kept us warm. The staff know what they are doing and do it well. Walking outside the cabin onto the deck in the morning and seeing elephants in a natural setting was a moment I will treasure. We took the public tour. It was worth doing in order to see the beautiful animals and learn more. We also did the "extra" activities for those at the B & B. The opportunity to be close to these magnificent animals without crowds of people around was fantastic. Feeding the elephants was fantastic. Having trainers plus a monkey come to visit us at the tent/cabin was fantastic. Having the elephant bring us breakfast, also fantastic. I am hoping that the transformation to the Monterey Zoo will not reduce the opportunities for these "personal" encounters. We have already told some friends and relatives about this special experience which -- I repeat myself--is a treasure.

Room Tip: There are 8 tent/cabins. They are set up either for a family or for couples. We chose according to w...
Green Features: I welcome the environmentally friendly practices of the Vision Quest Safari B & B. I also was positively impressed by the respectful and careful way the animals were treated. The animals are the center of it all.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Livelyleslie
california
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Our family(2 adults & 1 kid) just spent a wonderful weekend there. We like this place because:
1) This ranch has more big animals like lions, tigers, lynx, bear, elephants...... The elephants have open area to walk around, they are not chained.
2) Bungalow locations are more spread out. You can enjoy the peace & quiet.
3) Price is very reasonable. Safari B&B price includes a 1 hour animal tour and a very nice continental breakfast served by the elephant. You can feed the elephant when it delivered the breakfast. My kid loved it. They also gave us so much breakfast that we could save it for lunch.
4) Trainer and small animal visited each bungalow between 3:30 to 4pm.
5) There are coffee machine, a small fridge, heater, electric blanket inside the bungalow.
6) This place is very clean. You cannot believe you are surrounded by so many animals.

The "Feed the big cat and tuck the elephants to bed" program is a must-do. My kid had so much fun and great experience for getting so close to the animals. It was incredible to see the big cats so alert and aggressive at meal time. We will definitely recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Actually all of them are good. I would recommend Bungalow # 5,6,7 and 8 more because they are away...
Lake Elsinore, California
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This was a stop over on our Spring Break vacation with kids ages 15 and 11. It easily became a highlight of our weeklong trip. Can’t say enough great things about the grounds, the staff, the animals – loved seeing how the trainers interact with the animals – you can see how much they love and respect them. We did the Crunch Time and Butch’s Bed time tours and LOVED every minute being up close and personal with these amazing animals. It was great to see my teenager so engaged by nature and he really wished we could have stayed longer. Having the elephant deliver breakfast (a good breakfast by the way) was the icing on the cake. Waking to the sound of roaring lions was amazing! We also had a wonderful Italian dinner at a local restaurant recommended by the staff.. We stayed in Monkey Manor and were very comfortable as a family of four. It gets chilly at night but the cabin heater worked great, as did the heated mattress pads. Highly recommend this experience!

Room Tip: Check the website for exact cabin descriptions
1 Thank Trudie M
Fair Oaks, California
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was a dream come true for me. I gifted it to myself for my birthday. The staff is wonderful. The animals are beautiful and enchanting. Especially the elephants. It was so cool to help feed the cats and elephants. Breakfast delivered by elephant was my bet breakfast ever. Our safari tent was comfortable and we had a great view of the elephants, zebra, water buffalo and ostrich. Watching Butch and Jasmine play was entertaining. WE could also see the tigers from our vantage point. Night time was like being in Africa. The lions roared off and on all night. What a great way to be kept awake. In the morning I watched from our deck as the staff cleaned enclosures and gave fresh hay. Then I watched each of the elephants get their bath. They were rally enjoying it, as was I.

Room Tip: The Big Cat House is best for viewing the elephant enclosure.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I honestly don't understand these reviews - I had a terrible experience with these people! I am a camping loving kind of girl too! The owners were unresponsive (unless it had to do with money) and then extremely rude- to the point of bringing me to tears. AND we had a bunch of charges. I would steer clear of this place all together. My friend summed it up nicely- this place is more like a sad zoo than a sanctuary

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
21 Thank A5028AOJudy_
FromOurManagement, Owner at Vision Quest Safari Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Unfortunately due to the uniqueness of our facility and its minimal size, we are forced to adhere to the strict guidelines of our booking policies, very transparent cancelation policies, and special offer restrictions. Straying from those policies and restrictions almost closed our facility in year’s past for some don’t think twice to book up such facilities before they really know if they can come or not. They then simply cancel last minute leaving the facility vacant. Our staff is minimal to enable us to channel as much of our time and funding as possible to the animals so those returning calls are also charged with caring for animals. We do not and cannot have people dedicated to answering calls immediately upon their arrival without taking time away from the animals. We regret that some are not appreciative of that fact and more tolerant of it. Our charges could not be clearer on our website and we urge all to visit and understand such explanations prior to booking rather than disputing what was there all along upon their arrival. We regret that this individual didn’t do a bit more homework prior to visiting our facility they might have realized prior to the described drama that it was not a good fit.
Manorville, New York
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed in the "Leopard's Lair" with my wife on 3/19/14. Everything in the "tent" was clean and well thought out. The electric heater kept the room warm, when it was quite chilly outside. The set up lets you think you are on a real African Safari. Getting breakfast delivered by an Elephant was the icing on the cake. As you eat on your front deck you see the elephants, zebras, water buffalo, and ostrich also having their breakfast in the field below. Feeding the big cats and elephants was simply remarkable.

The Walk with the Animals tour is amazing and must be experienced. The whole staff does a wonderful job of informing you about the animals, setting up your interactions and being patient while you take pictures.

Standing next to and under "Butch" the male African elephant really lets you feel just how large and powerful these animals are. The tour ended with a wine and cheese celebration which was a nice touch. The tour is quite expensive, but well worth it as you will probably never get to interact with these animals anywhere else. A truly Amazing Experience. I would definitely do this again if I ever get back to the Salinas area.

Room Tip: Get a tent with a deck that overlooks the savanah
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salinas
Hampton Inn & Suites Salinas
Carmel Mission Inn & Fuse Lounge Cafe
Monterey Bay Inn
Monterey Bay Inn
#5 of 56 in Monterey

Been to Vision Quest Safari Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!