“Pachyderm Palace Safari Stay”

Vision Quest Safari Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Salinas B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“Pachyderm Palace Safari Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was a great place to stay! We LOVED Crunch time where we fed the cats, and Butch's Bedtime were we fed the elephants carrots. Those big animals are so amazingly beautiful! Such a great experience when we got to feed the elephant her breakfast! So sweet! Wish I could walk with her all day long!
Was a little bit noisy with the road just behind us, but I did hear the coyotes, lion, and elephant calling out in the night.
Loved the bungalow! The whole set up was really cool!

Room Tip: I choose one of the rooms around the Elephant playground on the east side away from the road.
Green Features: Great! Saved on water, saved on money with an awesome bungalow set up.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LuvNature N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Cape San Blas, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband, myself and daughter went. We stayed in giraffe manor. We had a ball! We did crunch time, tucked the elephants in and did the pachyderm package. My daughter really enjoyed giving the elephant a bath! We will never forget our experience. Christy was very knowledgable
And made the zoo too fun and educational! Hope we get to go again sometime! Not many places you can hear a lion roar, and a hyena laugh while you lay in your bed.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a great view.
Green Features: This place takes care of there animals and environment.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dee H
Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My daughter and I had an absolutely amazing time at Vision Quest. A truly unique experience. We brought in our dinner and enjoyed our meal while watching the sunset, couldn't be better. We participated with the Crunch Time and Bed Time experiences. Both were great, but putting the elephants to bed was by far the highlight of our trip. The animals are obviously very well loved by the employees. Each employee offered different stories of their experiences with the animals and fun things about favorite animal friends. All the animals seemed incredibly happy. My daughter even commented that if she were an animal this is where she would want to live. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary Beth S
Gonzales, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My husband and I went there to have some quiet time together. We enjoy the atmosphere of the quiet country setting.
If you are looking for a complete quiet time you will get it if you don't mind the sounds of animals. For the most of it the animals were quiet through the night. Dogs did start barking around 8 am.
Would do it again anytime. Would even bring the kids. They would love the animals and hearing the roar of the lion.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Half Moon Bay, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

There is so much potential for this to be a wonderful experience.

They advertise peace and quiet and encourage you to be quiet as well, however they board dogs and I fell asleep and woke up to the sound of 40 traumatized canines barking constantly.

Nearly every staff member I encountered made me feel as though I was a burden to them. They made no effort to engage my children in the experience and appeared to be annoyed them. I completely understand that there needs to be rules in place in a setting of this nature to ensure everyone's safety, however there is a better, more eloquent way of brining these rules to the guest's attention. I work in the hotel industry and clearly the customer service and passion just isn't there.

The breakfast consisted of a box of pastries. No other food or drink is offered for purchase, not even a snack bar and you are in a desolate location with very few food options nearby.

The website is quite a mess and we were offered no information prior to check in. I would have appreciated the schedule more than 30 minutes in advance.

Lastly, the animals are kept in extremely small pens without toys or grass. When we asked our tour guide how often they were let out, she basically told us that they are allowed out only while working (commercials etc.). I felt extremely sad for them after completing the tour and it left me a bit sick to my stomach.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
18 Thank emiam2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Excellent stay. 24 hrs of animals, nature and peace. Definitely coming back! Crunch time rocked! It was on my bucket list to be served breakfast by a beautiful elephant! Great job team " Vision quest-Monterey Zoo"

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank 9livesOceanside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed with the family over the 4th of July weekend in the Monkey Manor room (2 kids, 7 & 11). We did the tour the day of arrival, which helped acclimate us to the overall layout of the property (as well as introduce us to the animals). We sat out on the viewing platforms in the afternoon (bring warm clothes and a windbreaker) and met a couple of animals out for walks with their trainers. That night we participated in "elephant bedtime," feeding 3 of the larger elephants and learning about their daily routines. For dinner we opted for quick and easy sandwiches from the gas station deli, eating on the porch of our bungalow. The room was great- heated blankets and a room heater, both were used, which made the room very comfortable. Lots if plugs for chargers. Nice decor and little touches throughout. Morning- our breakfast appeared around 10:20. We were one of the last tents to be served, but we were forewarned that breakfast time was dictated by the elephants :). Great portions and variety (fruit, yogurt, pastries and bagels), and we got to feed the elephant right from our deck.

Great trip, unique and unforgettable. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Rustys_mama
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salinas
Hampton Inn & Suites Salinas
Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa
La Playa Carmel
La Playa Carmel
#5 of 25 in Carmel

Been to Vision Quest Safari Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!