“Our "Go-To" place in Salinas”
Review of La Casa Del Sazon

La Casa Del Sazon
Ranked #119 of 323 Restaurants in Salinas
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This is easily one of our favorite spots in Salinas, especially the Romie Lane location (there is a sister restaurant a few blocks away). Contrary to what one reviewer noted, in our dozens of visits in the last few years, WE non-hispanics have been in the serious minority; usually the only ones there.

The service is fantastic. While much of the food is Cal-Max, it is done with a flair. The corn tortillas made on the spot for your order cannot be beat.

Their house-specialty Molcajete Michocano is delicious; one is plenty for two hungry adults (though I did once see a hungry teenager polish off an entire order - whew!). My partner really likes their fish tacos, and I think their enchiladas are superb (I lean towards the al pastor with tomatilla salsa).

After noticing that the shrimp cocktail was very popular, we gave it a go (several times). It is absolutely delicious; they evidently get their shrimp as fresh as possible.

We strongly recommend this restaurant for casual dining. Be forewarned that it is very, very busy at lunchtime (11:45 - 1:15) weekdays, and can be crowded Sunday mornings with large families. Afternoons and evenings are more relaxed.

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Truly the best casual Mexican restaurant I've ever been to--and I mean it. You must try their signature Molcajete--a delicious blend of delectable sauce, chicken, beef, chorizo, sautéed cactus and some Mexican cheese. It's a must have! Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

I have been eating Mexican food in Salinas for the 20 years I have lived here and these two restaurants are hands down the best tasting Mexican food this town has seen in the time I have resided here. Both serve the same tasty fare with every item on the menu FULL of flavor. When a Mexican restaurant is full of Latino people, you know the food is good. This place is always full. The molcajete is fabulous, and every dish I have tried is wonderful; as good as anywhere in town. The Clay street location is larger and has more space, the Romie Lane location is small and fills up faster. Great for kids as well as they have tacos, burritos, and chicken nuggets.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

The food was not up to our standards. The dishes are northern Mexican fare but the taste was not up to par. The prices were a bit high for what we received. The fact that most folks (including us) who were dining here were "gringos" should have been a tip off. My wife had the huevos con machaca that looked good but was not well seasoned. I had the chile verde plate. This was plenty hot but otherwise not distinguished. Many diners selected the Molcajete but we did not try it.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

We asked someone what the best Mexican restaurant was in Salinas and they pointed us to La Casa Del Sazon. They had a busy lunch time crowd, so we knew it had to be good. It actually was delicious. Next time we're in the area, we'll definitely go back.