“Huge portions of tasty regional Mexican food”
Review of La Casa Del Sazon

La Casa Del Sazon
Ranked #107 of 320 Restaurants in Salinas
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience of this small, casual Mexican restaurant, whose signature Molcajete Michocano must be tried, assuming you have the appetite for it. It's gigantic.

I ordered the Molcajete Michocano, a spicy piping-hot meat stew served with tortillas and beans. My husband ordered the Carnitas plate. Both dishes were super tasty, but really we should have split the Molcajete Michocano, and ordered an appetizer. My husband also ordered a drink the size of his head. It was beer and tomato juice with spices. It was very light, good on a hot day.

The restaurant is very casual and small, only 8 tables, so we sat at the counter. The crowd seemed to be mostly local families, many ordering take out. Getting there and parking was easy.

There are newer reviews for La Casa Del Sazon

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Ok, decided to try this place based on Tripadvisor reviews and it was close to where I am staying. I don't judge by appearance of business or even the look of the food. For me, it's the taste that matters. I was excited to have some good mexican food and decided to order the super chicken burrito. The first disappointment was the chips; they did not taste fresh. I then lifted my burrito to my face to take my first bite and it smelled like fish. With each bite I could smell fish and thought that I may have been given the wrong order but there was clearly chicken in my burrito...lots of it. My burrito was supposed to contain avocado and it wasn't until I had about 1/4 of my burrito left that I found the avocado. I did not get a lot of flavor from the meat, rice or beans. I was expecting some sort of sauce or other flavors to be present in the burrito. I was disappointed with my meal. My review is based solely on the burrito. I may go back and try a different dish. I grew up in California and have been to many mexican restaurants through the years and I would not say this was one of my favs nor will I recommend it.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

the green sauce is awesome, definitely one of my favorite mexican restaurants. staff is friendly as well

Reviewed 4 January 2014

This is easily one of our favorite spots in Salinas, especially the Romie Lane location (there is a sister restaurant a few blocks away). Contrary to what one reviewer noted, in our dozens of visits in the last few years, WE non-hispanics have been in the serious minority; usually the only ones there.

The service is fantastic. While much of the food is Cal-Max, it is done with a flair. The corn tortillas made on the spot for your order cannot be beat.

Their house-specialty Molcajete Michocano is delicious; one is plenty for two hungry adults (though I did once see a hungry teenager polish off an entire order - whew!). My partner really likes their fish tacos, and I think their enchiladas are superb (I lean towards the al pastor with tomatilla salsa).

After noticing that the shrimp cocktail was very popular, we gave it a go (several times). It is absolutely delicious; they evidently get their shrimp as fresh as possible.

We strongly recommend this restaurant for casual dining. Be forewarned that it is very, very busy at lunchtime (11:45 - 1:15) weekdays, and can be crowded Sunday mornings with large families. Afternoons and evenings are more relaxed.

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Truly the best casual Mexican restaurant I've ever been to--and I mean it. You must try their signature Molcajete--a delicious blend of delectable sauce, chicken, beef, chorizo, sautéed cactus and some Mexican cheese. It's a must have! Definitely worth a visit.