“Great Plus for the price and light fare”
Review of Portobello's

Portobello's
Ranked #16 of 320 Restaurants in Salinas
Description: Everything is made in-house, the greens and vegetables are all fresh, sustainable and locally sourced and the specials change daily.
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Favorite place for generous sandwiches with homemade flair, great quiches adn more, and of course great coffee!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This place has absolutely delicious breakfasts. I especially like the omelettes, which come with potatoes and grilled baguette slices. They also have excellent sandwiches, a variety of salads, and yummy desserts. Whenever they have lemon cheesecake, I absolutely have to order a slice. It's perfection. But I am not a fan of the service there. The servers are polite, but I have to wait to get a menu (and they bring menus anyway if I grab them before sitting down), and then wait to get checked on. I usually end up grabbing my own condiments, too. No biggie, but it makes this place more "average" than "very good." But it won't stop me from going there to eat their great food!

Reviewed 19 January 2013

Have visited a few times. It reminds me of a large cafe you would find in Europe. A good selection for breakfast or lunch. Good service and enjoyable/relaxed atmosphere. They have a patio and the wine variety is nice. Great for business meals.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

I really like the atmosphere here. Yummy home-made style food. lots of Healthy choices, A great variety of Salads.
Great for Business lunch, or Couples that get to meet for lunch ! Yummy !!!!

1  Thank calidreamin43
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Walking in, there is no indication whether to seat yourself or wait or to form a line like a cafeteria (because, honestly, it looks a little like a cafeteria). I suppose that you're just supposed to know -- maybe they only cater to people with ESP?

The Sunday staff looked like teenagers -- I saw no "adult supervision" in the place, unless I overlooked someone. That's not a problem except... that there were problems.

I ordered a burger. It took a moderately long time, and when it came, it was swimming. Water was literally pouring out of it. Also, it still had the patty shape which indicates that it came from a stack of frozen patties, and that it hadn't been on the grill long enough to shrink. But it did looked cooked on the outer edges, so maybe it was okay... And I hate to send food back, especially when there doesn't appear to be adult supervision.

The cooked portion proved to be only a few millimeters deep, as I quickly bit into raw hamburger meat. Not rare, not undercooked, cold and raw. The white of the fat had not turned translucent, which is the difference between rare and raw.

Clearly, someone grabbed a frozen burger patty, threw it onto a too-hot grill, flipped it once, and tossed it onto a bun.

Sorry, won't be back. I value my digestion too much.

2  Thank User_Default