“Great work by volunteers”
Review of Steinbeck House

Steinbeck House
Ranked #10 of 318 Restaurants in Salinas
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Santa Rosa, California
“Great work by volunteers”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My glazed orange chicken was very good and the creme brulee was great. One of the docents give us a talk which was very informative. We learned a lot from him about Steinbeck and Steinbeck's family.

• Visited June 2014

• Korean first
Cheney, Washington
“Great little restaurant!”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We had a lunch there, you need to have reservations, but we got in, I guess we looked hungry...The menu is pretty limited, but the food is fantastic and reasonably priced. The restaurant is the old Steinbeck home. It was converted to a restaurant; the staff is from the local social group of women/men that support it. They are all like a docent, they a very knowledgeable about the house, you sort of feel you are a guest at their home. Our waitress was cute; she was great, always there for us. She always kept our glasses filled with their cherry lemonade. I have been to a lot of restaurants like this in different cities, but this was the most interesting and comfortable, the house added to the ambiance. This restaurant is a bright star in a great city.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank riceahroni45
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Great food in a wonderful setting for a good cause”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

The Steinbeck House is the boyhood home of John Steinbeck, and it's also a beautiful example of an early 20th century Victorian style home. So the setting alone is worth going. The menu changes weekly and is also made with the freshest ingredients you can imagine. Salinas sits in the middle of the salad bowl of the world so the salads are wonderful, and if for some reason the entree of the day doesn't appeal to you, the sandwiches are also great, as is the homemade bread. And the ladies of the Valley Guild do a wonderful and loving job as staff. I have been going here for almost 20 years and have never been disappointed.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank Russ E
California
“My favorite place to have lunch”
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I lived in Salinas several years ago, and this was my favorite place to have lunch. I was able to bring my husband and daughter here this past weekend and it was just as wonderful as I remembered it. The prices have gone up a bit, but it's worth it. The cream of green onion soup was outstanding...I could have eaten bowl after bowl of it. We had the San Francisco chicken which came with fresh steamed veggies and a small bowl of fruit. The dish was very good, although I pushed aside most of the white sauce that was on the chicken. That was a personal preference; my husband devoured his entire meal, sauce and all! The chicken was seasoned well, and the bagel beneath it was a nice touch. The menu changes weekly, so check it out on their website if you plan on being in the area for lunch.

The friendliness and helpfulness of the volunteer servers has improved greatly since I was there last. Everyone was warm and very friendly, seemed genuinely happy to serve us, and made us feel welcomed. I only wish I lived closer to the area to be able to eat here more often!

Before or after lunch, be sure to drop in to the Best Cellar, the gift shop located in the basement (accessible from outside.) They have a variety of things to choose from, some of them Steinbeck related and others just nice little gift items.

• Visited January 2013
Salinas, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A special experience!”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

This building was the actual home of John Steinbeck and is run by volunteers who put their heart and soul into doing an awesome job. The food is outstanding and all prepared onsite. There is a small gift shop in the basement which includes some of the excellent recipes. Part of the house is still kept intact and able to be viewed.

Visited December 2012

Been to Steinbeck House? Share your experiences!